User Tag List

Thread: Knock Retard Warning on DashHawk

Default Knock Retard Warning on DashHawk

Any ideas how bad this is or what might be causing it?
    It ranges from 3.5 then drops and normally holds at 2.5 (on the dashhawk if this helps) but i normally get off the accelerator and back on it to make it stop beeping at me..
    I only use BP Ultimate and the only mod I have is the Cobb SRI..
    A google search revealed step colder plugs might fix this?
    Can someone please link me to the best plugs that I should get, if this is correct? Thanks a lot
    - Steve

What values were you getting?

I've seen upwards of +3 when I've filled up with suspicious fuel, branded BP 98 but I reckon it wasn't, next fill up from different servo was fine!

Not necessarily.

How many degrees is it?
    How often?
    Is it noticeable (other than the DH telling you so?)

This might help to better understand;
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...ck-retard.html

edited first post. thanks guys
    also i dont really feel anything when the warning flashes.. it normally happens when im at around 1900rpm then i add a little more throttle. it happened to me today when i booted it but i didnt see what it went to and wasnt logging....
    Last edited by steviekfc; 01-08-2010 at 11:01 PM.

These should be the plugs;
    http://mpsgarage.com.au/shop/product...park-plug.html
    ITV22 colder replacement

Might be worth putting a bottle of octane booster in the tank to see if that helps, or maybe putting the stock intake back on.
    Also try and triple check any hose clamps, particularly the one between the turbo and the TMIC...

as jmac said.. check ALL your clamps between your MAF and your throttle body..

also check your BPV is seater correctly

and also check the breather hose from the rocker cover to the accordian after the maf.. if any of these are leaking.. you will induce knock

what is your LTFT at idle and partial throttle?
    that will tell us whats going on

Doc

thats doc ill let u know what it is at around 6 tonight. thats when i finish work haha

Dont stress too much about low rpm range knock readings, yes it can indicate a small boost leak, and is definitely worth investigating, but also bear in mind that the knock sensor can also pick up other vibrations within the engine bay and relay them to the ECU as knock, if you see consistent high KR values i.e 4+ at wot, there is a more serious issue, and dont waste your money on colder plugs, there is really no benefit to them, I had a set in for a while and put the stockers back in, car felt a lot better on the stock plugs.
    I also wouldn't take the DH display as gospel, you will feel any instances of knock retard that are of any relevance, remember its just the ECU doing its job to protect your engine.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

what would knock feel like matty?

I steer clear of octane booster. It may help power but it will eat the ends off the plugs.

LTFT is 3.9% at idle, 5.5% when just cruising and 8.6% when the intake sucks in...

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I steer clear of octane booster. It may help power but it will eat the ends off the plugs.
    I do too, but it can help if you have a dodgey tank of fuel.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

interesting..

just check all your lines etc etc

do you have knock at wide open throttle (ie foot flat to the floor)?
    if so at what rpm?

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by steviekfc View Post
    what would knock feel like matty?
    Its not so much the knock you can feel, its the knock retard that you will feel when knock is present, knock has always been the silent killer of engines, it is audible, but depending on the car (i.e loud mods, or high engine speeds you may not even hear it, until of course its too late), the knock retard will feel anything from a lift-off feeling to sudden, almost violent jerks as the car pulls timing.
    You can make the car enter a KR scenario quite easily, if you sit on around 2000rpm in 6th and floor it, this will typically induce a KR event, I wouldn't recommend you do this frequently ( a once off in the name of research is plenty), and make sure back off as soon as you feel the car shudder or decelerate.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Its not so much the knock you can feel, its the knock retard that you will feel when knock is present, knock has always been the silent killer of engines, it is audible, but depending on the car (i.e loud mods, or high engine speeds you may not even hear it, until of course its too late), the knock retard will feel anything from a lift-off feeling to sudden, almost violent jerks as the car pulls timing.
    You can make the car enter a KR scenario quite easily, if you sit on around 2000rpm in 6th and floor it, this will typically induce a KR event, I wouldn't recommend you do this frequently ( a once off in the name of research is plenty), and make sure back off as soon as you feel the car shudder or decelerate.
    Good advice Matt,Also do not use above method on any incline ,you will not react fast enough to change down gears.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by steviekfc View Post
    LTFT is 3.9% at idle, 5.5% when just cruising and 8.6% when the intake sucks in...
    Stevekfc what SRI are u running, and filter. Your Lft,s are i take it, possitive adding fuel.

My LTFT at WOT is like 40 or something

i use the cobb sri with the cobb standard filter.
    i havent had any warnings since the day when it was warmer out. even when i tried all the things i did to create it in the first place.. also i had 1 person in the car when it did it the first time, and 2 when it did it more frequently... would increased weight have anything to do with it?

I don't know that a single person's weight would make that big of a difference. But yes, weight affects the engine load % so it would be a factor.