User Tag List

Thread: Jerky shifts

Default Jerky shifts

Is it just me or are the Gen 1 MPS 3's hard to get gear shifts smooth? I've had the car for around 9 months so you'd think I'd be used to it already but I'm not.

Any tips guys?

You're not alone pHiLix. Gen 1's are difficult to shift smoothly. It took a rear engine mount, synthetic oil, solid shifter bushings and over 12 months of driving for me to master it. The mount makes a big difference .

Hey Philix,

Like what Disi said too. The Gen 1 MPS was the first manual i drove after 15 years getting my manual license. It was difficult and I was missing changes. The rear engine mount i say makes a whole big difference and is worth every cent and not difficult to carry out. I still miss changes but thats just me and no more excuses

here's the topic u should look at
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...pressions.html
    Last edited by mech81; 30-07-2010 at 12:42 PM.

I installed a JB shift plate last night and the shorter throw seems to help quite a bit too.

I have found slower changes make the world of difference.

Even on cold mornings I can change gears smoothly if i pause for a split second in neutral.

Will be putting in engine mount inserts shortly too.

Thanks for the feedback guys! But I don't think I'll be getting an aftermarket engine mount. I don't really like vibrations.

Shifting slow does help I guess but sometimes you can't help but shift quicker to get ahead of traffic. 1-2 shifts have got to be the worst.

DISIMS3: By the way, thanks for the SRI. Installed it the other night =)
    Last edited by pHiLix; 30-07-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Strangely enough, if i shift quickly at high rpm, i do not have a problem.

If i try and shift quickly at low rpm, thats when i will get a bad shift.

I am going with engine mount inserts (supposedly they help alot, without the vibrations of an aftermarket mount)

Yeah completely agree with you there. High rpm shifts are pretty smooth for me too. The problem is only really there when shifting under ~3000rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    Strangely enough, if i shift quickly at high rpm, i do not have a problem.

If i try and shift quickly at low rpm, thats when i will get a bad shift.

I am going with engine mount inserts (supposedly they help alot, without the vibrations of an aftermarket mount)

The Gen 2 also experience the same problem, so looks like they haven't done much of an improvement either! Especially 1st to 2nd gear is horrible under 3000rpm

Ranton on this forum recommended some sort of ford oil. Apparently it makes a massive difference.

Definitely something i will consider doing.

Hey guy's

Iv got a gen II and yeah, shifts still suck
    I installed the JBR short shift plate and bushings and it helped a bit. I installed the bushings a week before the plate and they make it seem crisper and a bit nicer, plus they are pretty cheap.

Tinkering with the shift cable settings resulted in smoother shifts too, but that might be only be usefull if you have a ssp. Anyone know if you can smooth it up by adjusting the cable without any shifter mods?

Iv just ordered a cp-e rear engine mount to smooth it out some more, 60 duro. Im with pHiLix, I dont want more vibes, but by the sound of it the 60's dont result in any real vibrations over stock, once it settles down of course, and helps shifts drasticly. The 75 makes a few more vibes though.

If anyone does find a good oil it would probably be a godsend for most everyone on this forum
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!