User Tag List

Thread: Metallic Tint??

1. Default Metallic Tint??

Evening all,

I'm having a tough time choosing tint.. i thought it would be easy.

I've decided to stick with darkest legal (35%). Solartint is the only local installer and they have the CHARCOOL and ONYX products with ONYX i believe being metallic based. This one is recommended, but I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with it on their MPS.

Im specifically interested worried about interference with: Bluetooth/Radio/Sat-NAV or the prox key fob and auto lock key detection feature (I have this enabled) etc...

Anyone have metallic based tint???

Cheers

I would be curious about the effect on the antenna, I believe it is inside the rear window itself. A metallic film may cause you to lose or worsen radio reception. Might want to have a look into that. I think I read something to that effect somewhere but I couldnt quote where.

how do I find out what type of tint I have?

Default tint test

Quote Originally Posted by TUFMPS View Post
    how do I find out what type of tint I have?
    Cheap quick way - borrow a low watt two way - sit in car and try to hear a coversation at 100 mtres+ other two way directly to the rear

On cruises it appears I can transmit but very rarely receive unless person transmitting is right behind. MPS6 with metallic film, I can't see any difference physically - told it was metallic when I bought car. Radio seems to still work okay, not that I use it often, sat nav okay but of course there is no tint on windscreen.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    I would be curious about the effect on the antenna, I believe it is inside the rear window itself.
    Really?? In the 3? Whats the bee stinger on the roof then?

Good point, I stand corrected probably just the 6 has this. It is a safe assumption that it won't have a major effect on your reception.
    Bluetooth - I assume you only use stuff within the confines of the car anyway? Shouldn't effect it.
    Radio - If the antenna is on the top should have no effect.
    Sat-NAV - As mentioned you won't be tinting your windscreen so you'll probably be ok.

No idea about the key detector stuff. It might possibly limit the range, but its unlikely to prevent them from functioning.

I have Solartint 35% Onyx tints and have no problems with CB reception inside the car. Have used an iPhone as GPS with no issues - I don't have bluetooth or a GPS installed so can't comment on that.

all i know is mine is REALLY dark. quite alot darker than anyone else that i see, it seems to reflect a little when looking at it during the day. can't see anything at night though so it's not great..

Hey TUF,

Do u remember the percentage of light through your tint? could you PM me on where you got yours done. my factory tints doesnt really do much for me...
    Thanks

10. Default

id be interested to see pics of both countrychic's and TUF's if possible??

moved to general mazdaspeed

I will take some pics soon. Don't know how to measure %. Anyone who wants to see can meet up with me if in vic. I got it at tint-a-car but it's alot darker than the midnight express tint.