User Tag List

Thread: RX8 Rims

Default RX8 Rims

Hi All,

I need your thoughts...

I am running 225/40/18 on the stock rims.

I have chance to pick up a set of rx8 rims at what I think is a good price ($500 for the set).

Apart from the beloved 5 spoke look - are there any advantages/negatives with these over the stock MPS rims?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Hi Jim not too sure of RX8 rims, but I've got non OEM 18x7.5 +45 offset with 225/40/18 and there are no issues with handling or rubbing (lowered 25mm) ride is firmer, I think GGG has/had RX8 rims on his MPS6, he may may be able to tell you more.

A question about the stock MPS rims, how were they on 225/40/18? (any handling issues?) I've still got my stock rims but the tyres are cactus so was thinking of putting my current tyres on there when they wear down. Thanks
    Chris

Hi Jim,

Nickows has them on his, may be worth a PM to him with any specific? Link to his members rides thread: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571

Cheers,
    Dan

Blog Entries

RX-8 rims are the best fitting 8" wide 1 piece rims you can find - bar none.
    18x8+50 I believe, which you won't find easily in aftermarket rims.
    On a 3:
    225/40R18 reported to fit with no rubbing
    225/45R18 reported to rub slightly, requiring a light roll to rear guards to clear.
    All very close to guards though - all 8" wide fitments on a 3 need rolling...

On your 6 the 225/40 should fit no worries. You should be able to fit 235/40 with a roll to the guards.

Quote Originally Posted by jimred07 View Post
    Hi All,

I need your thoughts...

I have chance to pick up a set of rx8 rims at what I think is a good price ($500 for the set).

Apart from the beloved 5 spoke look - are there any advantages/negatives with these over the stock MPS rims?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimred07 View Post
    Hi All,

I need your thoughts...

Thanks in advance

Jim
    Hey Jim - as Dan posted earlier I have the RX-8 rims on my 6MPS. No problems to speak of. I had the original Bridgestones tyres fitted initially, now run a set of Yoko 225/40/18. No rubbing, no need to roll the guards. Im looking at 225/45/18 for my next tyres, as the current Yokos are v. disappointing (high road noise, rides rougher than standard tyres, tramline like a b*astard, heavier steering, constant correction needed when going around long sweeping bends etc). Im pretty sure 225/45 will fit.

Anyways, my tyre probs have nothing to do with the rims. On a practical note, they are much easier to clean than the stock rims. There was a red 6MPS running around my area a few months back with the RX-8 rims, and it looked mighty fine.

Are they painted or polished RX8 rims Jim?