User Tag List

Thread: Water pump / Thermostat

Default Water pump / Thermostat

I was advised at my 60K service that this is leaking ever so slightly.

Quote $1000 to replace the entire housing. Apparently the parts are $2-300 and labour makes up the rest of the cost. 6 hours worth apparently

Car is Mazda 6 MPS.

What are your thought on this price.

Cheers in advance

Todd

No idea about the price, mine was replaced under warranty.

Quite a common fault though from what I understand.

If its a common fault, try & push for warranty. Even if its out of time, you might be able to pay for the labour & they cover the part , or vice versa....Its worth a try at least.

Car is now about 3 months out of warranty.

When I had the warranty inspection done on the car the guy said that Mazda are pretty leanient if you are the original owner of the car, but if the car has changed hands it is black and white. Out of warranty, bad luck

5. Default

My water pump was also replaced under warranty picked up at an end of warranty inspection ... for all you out there with cars approachign end of warranty, definately get your car inspected by an independent body ... well worth it

Maybe get a second opinion by another mechanic

My water pump housing was replaced under warranty at the 40,000 service. Also the V-belt tensioner which developed a bearing looseness and rattle.

6 hours sounds way over the top

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    6 hours sounds way over the top
    It's no doubt 6 hours for a 2nd year apprentice....

OP: weather the work is done under warranty or not, DO NOT LEAVE the dealership without popping the bonnet and having a look. The dealership I went to left coolant all over the engine bay that took me several hours to clean up. If they leave it a mess, you have every right to ask them to clean it up before you accept the car back.

Had 3 water pumps done under warranty on MPS3 ,there seems to be a design issue and all took approx 2 hrs Remove and replace. ????? Same engine ,possible harder on MPS6 ,but cant confirm.
    Push the issue of design fault/ heaps of warranty claims etc. Good luck.

TSB here (blank my name please if printing and showing Mazda)

FYI the cost of the pump is listed at US$84 and labour @ 1.5hrs for replacing the pump (USA)

Also the leak as explained in the TSB may only be normal operation of the water pump, check first before replacing

Good luck with this
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    TSB here (blank my name please if printing and showing Mazda)

FYI the cost of the pump is listed at US$84 and labour @ 1.5hrs for replacing the pump (USA)

Also the leak as explained in the TSB may only be normal operation of the water pump, check first before replacing

Good luck with this
    Good post Shakes! This is exactly what the Club should be about . Information/Help?advice Just confirmed my original post.

Thankyou very much

That is very interesting. I will be checking this out for myself.

Hi all,

Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. I had my car serviced by Mazda and they said that the water pump is leaking slightly on my Gen 1 MPS 3. I have noticed my coolant reservoir levels dropping a little as well.

How much do water pumps (plus labour) usually cost to replace? Mazda has quoted me 300 something dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by pHiLix View Post
    Hi all,

Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. I had my car serviced by Mazda and they said that the water pump is leaking slightly on my Gen 1 MPS 3. I have noticed my coolant reservoir levels dropping a little as well.

How much do water pumps (plus labour) usually cost to replace? Mazda has quoted me 300 something dollars.
    It's a known fault. Try contacting Mazda HQ. If all else fails, $300 seems like a cheap way out.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    It's a known fault. Try contacting Mazda HQ. If all else fails, $300 seems like a cheap way out.
    Yeah I'm aware that it's a common issue with these cars. I ran out of warranty 1.5 years ago. Is it still worth contacting Mazda HQ?

Yeah I'm aware that it's a common issue with these cars. I ran out of warranty 1.5 years ago. Is it still worth contacting Mazda HQ?
    Can't hurt to ask...

They covered mine, even with all the "extra" parts.
    I think the service guys just said yes so they could "road test" it afterwards.............
    Achievements
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Okay just an update. I called Mazda Australia, they couldn't really help but suggested I discuss the issue with an actual Mazda dealer so I spoke to the General Manager at the Mazda dealer I usually get my car serviced at. He put in a request to Mazda Australia to get the water pump replaced on "good will" but unfortunately it was declined. A new water pump from Mazda will cost $380.

It was worth a try!
    Last edited by pHiLix; 06-12-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Okay just an update. I called Mazda Australia, they couldn't really help but suggested I discuss the issue with an actual Mazda dealer so I spoke to the General Manager at the Mazda dealer I usually get my car serviced at. He put in a request to Mazda Australia to get the water pump replaced on "good will" but unfortunately it was declined. A new water pump from Mazda will cost $380.

It was worth a try!
    It was worth a try.
    Achievements
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile