User Tag List

Thread: Modifying your CAI + servicing filter & MAF sensor

Default Modifying your CAI + servicing filter & MAF sensor

For a detailed Thread on cleaning the MAF/IAT sensor, please refer the How To's threads specifically

cleaning-maf-iat-sensors

I didn't really like the after market look of the CP-E intake so I decided to modify mine. I've had it modified and installed for some time but decided to take it out, respray my intake and service the MAF and filter and thought I would share. Not exactly a "how to" (for more info see link above) more of a willingness to share a mod I think looks pretty cool.

So I'll start with cleaning my MAF/IAT sensor then go into my CAI after. Cleaning the MAF and IAT is a great idea and handy little service mod to keep your ride running great. If you have a service performed on your vehicle and you have a CAI installed, it is unlikely they will clean the filter (if its a K&N) or clean the MAF. Doing both in combination will keep your MPS running great with that signature pull! The MAF sensor is orange in appearance, you will know it requires cleaning if it looks more black and built up dirt...

To clean the MAF (IAT as shown) you will require a evaporative based electronic cleaner spray. I used a CRC branded product that seems to work well. Yes that's my 8 month puppy to the side, he wanted to play!

You basically want to spray directly onto the sensor in an effort to remove surface build up from the sensor. Doing this will actually make a difference in your performance and response.

Cleaning the K&N is a service requirement if you wish to own their filter. I think it's recommended every 30-40,000kms or something but considering my location near the wheel and closer to the road, I clean mine much more frequently. In fact, after cleaning mine I notice a little more performance at high RPM and also a louder intake sound (as if it's sucking more air). To service/clean the filter you can buy a K&N cleaning kit from an Automotive store.
    Basically its a cleaner spray which you apply and use a hose at low pressure and wash from the inside out to remove dirt. You will see the clear water turn brown and its a good feeling seeing that come out the filter.

Once you let the filter dry, you need to oil it. The whole theory behind the K&N is the oil based filtration method to catch dirt while still letting a larger flow of air though the filter. Oil it as instructed on the cleaning kit. Below, an image of the product used. Rusty insisted on being in this shot!

Ok, so I've been a fan of K&N products for some time and specifically like the professional look of their CAI systems complete with Matt Black piping. My idea for this mod pretty much came from the image below:

On my CP-E intake I wanted a logo of sorts printed on the pipe. I did not want to place a sticker as I feared the engine bay heat would make the sticker peel over time. So I decided on a "MPS" logo. I basically sprayed the intake partially red (a few coats) placed a MPS sticker on top once dry. After this I sprayed the entire intake (including over the sticker) matt black. Once dry, remove the sticker to reveal the red undercoat, simple!

Can't see it in this view but I taped over the Custom Performance Engineering plate before I sprayed

Once done looks something like this (a little like the K&N )

Once installed:

Hope that proved an interesting read and a appealing mod. Would love to know if anyone is thinking of doing similar. It's not a hard mod, but its more for those who get bored easy and love a DIY and something unique. I had never seen it done before so hope you all enjoy the images!

If anyone is wondering, my rubber "O" ring on my MAF broke (doh!), so some plumbers tape done the job! Dodgy...no!
    Last edited by rogwick; 07-03-2011 at 01:42 PM.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Red and black. My dream colored engine bay. Very nice Andre.

Hello Rusty

Thanks Brad, I was considering doing the same to a TMIC if I got one. Missy - Rusty doesn't leave me alone! Always around me with everything I do haha!

rog! we have to meet up sometime after my exams, I finish on June 10th final exam and i SHOULD have all my intake and stuff like that by then and if we could just have a chat chat bla bla and for you to educate me it'd be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    rog! we have to meet up sometime after my exams, I finish on June 10th final exam and i SHOULD have all my intake and stuff like that by then and if we could just have a chat chat bla bla and for you to educate me it'd be great!
    Sure, give me a hoi after you finish exams! Although I'm only really free late arvo's on Saturday and Sunday's

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

That's fine! and will do =)

heya
    do u find wen u put a k&n filter on u loose boost?
    my stock psi is running 17
    and wen i put on k&n filter it went down to 15psi

if i wack a pod on it goes to 10psi and there is no boost what so ever?

Hard to say cause the intake was one of the first mods I did on the MPS. Then followed the turbo back exhaust and hypertech tune so I was gaining power so I didn't feel any losses. That's a bit strange though as I felt the K&N was more aggressive toward high RPM and my boost is around 16psi

yeah, like there is the same power but less boost on the gauge, maybe cos it is letting more air in so it doesnt need more boost? ha
    i wanna bump it up to 17-19psi and see how it goes

More power with less boost is where you want to be.

More boost is where its at!

Quote Originally Posted by Dperrin View Post
    heya
    do u find wen u put a k&n filter on u loose boost?
    my stock psi is running 17
    and wen i put on k&n filter it went down to 15psi

if i wack a pod on it goes to 10psi and there is no boost what so ever?
    Just changing the filter shouldn't have that much effect on how much boost your running.. seems strange to me? where did you tap into for your boost gauge?