User Tag List

Thread: lowering in perth

Default lowering in perth

hey fellas of perth

of you that have your mps's lowerd just wondering where people have got it done.i have quotes from malaga sus, wilkinson sus, and pedders.just wondering if anyone has had work done by any of these guys and if it was good or what.

cheers

I'm not too sure as myself and a mate lowered my vehicle on a weekend. I've heard some bad things about Pedders and has also had some bad publicity due to their service. Personally I would try and avoid them. I've heard of Wilkinson's, maybe it was Shake's that went there? I think they're not bad. If I'm correct, I would rather spend more $ at a place I know will look after me, or has had a good rep from another member.

What are you looking at getting, just a low spring setup or coilovers?

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Mine and Rogwick's were both done in my garage If your just replacing the springs its easy if you have a decent tool kit.

Are you getting just springs or new coilovers? If your doing springs I can probably lend you my spring compressors if you want to do it your self
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 22-07-2010 at 06:42 PM.

just doing springs for now.got a quote from wilkinson for 570.which didn't think was toobad,considering pedders was 850.how long did it take to do your self?and was it hard? the dude at pedders said you need to release the pressure on the bushes? does neone no anything bout that?
    thanks

Ok, so I assume that is supply and install of the springs? Do you know what brand of spring they will use. Toddy and I have King Springs. I honestly forgot the price but I got them from Super cheap Auto if you want to check. Was over $200 maybe towards $300 for a set? Check MPS garage for a price, but Eibach is a better spring if you wish to spend more. So you're looking around $275ish for the spring and looking around $300 for the install so I would say your price is not too bad considering labour. $850 = pass!

How long did it take, roughly a day, but in saying that, Toddy and I are mates, we chatted, had drinks, took our time etc. Not to mention it was the second time we had done it on an MPS, we don't do it for a living. if I remember and Toddy can correct me, we done my car (rears) one day (a couple of hours) due to one of us having plans then done the front the next day which was a bit longer (4-5 hours). Again if we were trying to install quicker we could have done the front and rear in around 4-5 hours (as an estimate) "what you reckon Toddy??"

Is it hard? Dan's the man to talk to as he showed me how to do it and he had done it before and looked into it more than I had at the time. No its not "hard" as such, just time consuming and some of the bolts may be hard to undo. The rears are much simpler in comparison. The fronts you have to remove the shock absorber. Probably the hardest part is the compressing of the spring and the slight danger aspect involved.

Not sure what the dude at pedders is referring to, check with Toddy for his response on that matter, but we didn't require anything special, just jacked up the car, loosened the necessary nuts and bolts, WD-40 take the springs out, put the new ones in and put the wheels back on. I guess from a proffession aspect, he may be right because technically the geometry of the suspension set-up (camber etc) is designed to operate in accordance with the stock spring. Lowering a vehicle may require some sort of adjustment. But honestly, I don't work in the business so I wouldn't know, ours seem ok anyway.

Don't waste your time and money on Pedders (apparently they're a dodgy company anyway) For that Price at Wilkinson's if I were you I would consider it, its not bad at all really. *Depends what type of spring they use*
    Last edited by rogwick; 22-07-2010 at 10:38 PM.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Hey mate, Wilkinson's did mine and $570 sounds right for supply of Kings and labour, I think they include a 4 wheel alignment in that price too - check! They have done a few MPS 6's now and mine a few times so they should be pretty good at them now, about 1/2 a day is what is normally takes. Link below

Home

Had mine done by APE suspension in wangara $500
    It turns out later on down the track when i had the springs taken out for coil overs the workshop hadn't put all the parts back in
    Not too sure how much of that was true, because the next workshop who did the coil overs weren't too reliable either

Pedders is over priced and they don't listen to you, i asked about camber kits and they pretty much said that i don't need it and to leave it be

Haven't heard much about Wilkinson's but i know they do a lot of show cars and some pretty insane set ups
    $570 sounds like a decent price for supply, fit and if included wheel alignment

$570 supply and install sounds like an ok deal. However if you want to save a few $$$ then do the install yourself. Probably takes between half a day to a whole day depending on how fast you work. The only hard part is compressing the front springs and you really want 2 people for this. I enjoyed doing the install my self as it gives you a better idea on how everything works.

I'm not to sure about releasing the pressure on the bushes. I haven't and have never had a problem. Just make sure you get a wheel alignment once your done.

Here is the link for the "How to" that i used
    http://forum.mazda6club.com/speed6-s...tallation.html
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 23-07-2010 at 02:33 PM.

hey guys

thanks all for the input.yeh the 570 from wilkinsons does include a 4 wheel alignment.and yes is king springs.malaga sus were going to use h&r 's, which is proly y they came in at 850 aswell.
    most likly will get wilkinsons to do them. but will check out some of urs (cars) on this cruise.!!!!

thanks guys

If you can afford it, I'd recommend installing new spring platform rubbers while the springs are out. Will add about $120 for genuine Mazda parts, but trust me, it's money well spent.

Do you really think that replacing the rubber will make much difference? If i'm thinking of the same part i'd imagine that they would end up deformed like the original rubbers after a couple thousand k's.

Yeah I do. They may look like inconspicuous parts, but they make a surprising difference to ride quality which you don't normally notice when they degrade over time. They also have a big effect on how much road noise get transmitted to the structure of the car. The thing is, as they age the rubber hardens and that's what makes an old car feel old.

Sounds reasonable

i have had brett at wilkos do 3 of my cars now. Strongly reccomend them\!