User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engineers Certificate and modds

Exclamation Engineers Certificate and modds

Im going through the process of get my car complied with all rta guidlines.

Rims- over 2' taller 1' wider need to be engineered over this will need engineers cert http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf

pod filters- pod filter are not illegal (nsw) as long as they are inclosed in a air box, than engineered

Ecu- any ecu mod must be taken to the RTA checking station to be tested for emissions before being engineered. ( 81-85 yourk st penrith nsw there is another one in east sydney can book this at RTA)

Fmic- legal as long as it has no modds to the impact zones crumple zones, than engineered

Suspension- anything over 1' needs to be engineered, good to have this done anyway (i have known holden commie drivers have troble with this as the are low to start with defects from police)

I will keep this post upto date as i go along
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Good Work going down the "leagalised" modding path.

What are the costs involved?? (ballbark)

And you have not mentioned exhaust. Would that be included in the emissions testing?

I will keep updating costs involved as i go.

I have booked my car in at the RTA checking station at Penrith in september. will need to remember your cars number plate number to book . Monday is the only day u can book to have this done, as for cost its free to my knowlage thus far.. be warned tho im not certain of this, BUT if my understanding is correct 'if the emissions are not right and its a mod that has cuz this? u have 28 days to get it fixed as they IM GUESSING have ur car on record?.' will ask more questions on the day!

Seems a great deal of effort to go to for your mods....imagine how many cars, Australia wide, would not comply with ALL of the RTA guide lines. They cant enforce all of their rules because they dont have the time, or resources to do it.
    How many times has the Police/RTA pulled you over & checked your car?
    As long as mods are listed on your insurance policy & your mechanic passes you car for a Rego check, all sound be fairly ok....IMOH
    But........good on you for going through the process.
    Last edited by AD07; 22-07-2010 at 04:45 PM.

I just painted my FMIC with flat radiator paint... It has now been ENG'Neer'd

I had it full bling shinny mode.. but it stood out too much for me...

Stealth FTW

Doc

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Luke with your Downpipe and HFC.. there is a a good chance you wont pass the smog test.. just be mindfull of showing all your cards at once mate
    Last edited by Doc; 22-07-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: doc cant type

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I just painted my FMIC with flat radiator paint... It has now been ENG'Neer'd

I had it full bling shinny mode.. but it stood out too much for me...

Stealth FTW

Doc

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Luke with your Downpipe and HFC.. there is a a good chance you wont pass the smog test.. just be mindfull of showing all your cards at once mate
    Yes i know that Doc, but i want to do it. sick of looking at a police car and thinking what if they pulled me over and defected me! when im done than my answers will be answered and hopefully for someone else too

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

sorry my questions will be answered' ( dam my spelling)

To be honest i wouldnt be too worried about the cops in a mazda 3.
    As long as its not noisy or really low i doubt they'de take a second look.
    now if you were driving around in a shitbox Silvia with massive offset wheels and stretched tyres with Drift stickers all over the windows id be a little more concerned.

Its a turbo and i tend to use it ... it will be sitting low with coilovers, 18x8.5 rims, fmic. it will stand out a bit to the cops... Any way i am going through with it call me dumbarse but it will be a guide for tho's who want to stay within the laws. if it needs a 2 cat i will fit it, if my cai needs to go (and yes it does cuz its not boxed) it will go! i will do what is needed to be done i will work within the law!!!! ... I spose all of u are wondering why did i mod it than? I HAVE A MODDING DISEASE

Hi Luke

Its good your going down this path, its the one I intend to follow when I get into serious modding.
    Hope its not too costly for you, but your car will look even better with coilovers and rims, plus the piece of mind is good.

Anyway....
    Probably a noob question, but what do you mean when you say a part needs to be 'engineered'?

'Engineered' = Engineers Certificate

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Well i hope with me going down this path will clear up the air for tho's who are thinking the same ( personally every site i went into researching this made me more confused) make it a bit easier for all of us

Ah, i see.
    Thanks for the clarification.

13. Default

Luke I got an engineers certifcate with my tow bar . .. not sure how much the certificate component of it was but all up incl cert it was $1400

TBE, FMIC, SRI, BOV set to atmo, Lowered, 18x8 +35 rims..., yet to be pulled over once....

Good on you mate but personally I cant be bothered going through all that trouble, specially if I have to deal with different interpretations of thise and that

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Seems a great deal of effort to go to for your mods....imagine how many cars, Australia wide, would not comply with ALL of the RTA guide lines. They cant enforce all of their rules because they dont have the time, or resources to do it.
    How many times has the Police/RTA pulled you over & checked your car?
    As long as mods are listed on your insurance policy & your mechanic passes you car for a Rego check, all sound be fairly ok....IMOH
    But........good on you for going through the process.
    You're exactly right mate, BUT - in theory at least - ANY car with ANY modifications to the exhaust should not pass a Blue Slip. (NSW road worth certificate) I know I know, none of our cars are going to need to go for a blue slip any time soon, unless the car is not re-registered past the 3 month cutoff. Added to that, the wide wheels Luke is talking about and the car should not pass a standard rego check.

The ADR (Aus Design Regulations) are pretty strict. In terms of engine modifications, there are 2 regulations taht make ANY modification to the MPS (3 definitely likely the 6 as well) illeagal.

1. is the exhaust guidelines. To Paraphrase: The gist is that you cannot modify the exhaust system in any way, without obviously the engineering cert and RTA emissions compliance.

2. is the power to weight ratio. The MPS already exceedes the power to weight ratio allowed, as it comes that way from manufacturer it is allowed (yes im serious). therefore any modification that produces any increase in power becomes automatically illeagal.

Not trying to be a buzzkill here guys, just putting this info up so that everyone fully understands where their vehicles stand in terms of leagal / illeagal mods.

Cheers,
    Josh.

Notes:
    - I am not a lawyer, this is not leagal advice it is my opinion only.
    - The information above comes from the RTA ADR guidlines provided in their training material for their Blue Slip certification
    - I am not a holder of the RTA Blue Slip certification, nor am I a qualified Mechanic.
    Last edited by Scaredycrow; 23-07-2010 at 09:38 AM.

WOO UP! You need the emissions test done before u can get it engineered (ECU,EXHAUST). Once u have the emissions test done and its ok you can proceed with the engineers cert. the engineer will have a look at the intake,exhaust if they are mounted properly safe he wont knock u back. Guys let me go through with it first, i will update this thread as i go!!! after i have been engineered we can discuss it.. We will than have hard facts...

Blog Entries

I've lost track of how many things are probably illegal on my car...but will be good to see how much you can mod "legally"

18. Default

any news?

Not yet. car wil be at mps garage the boys are looking after it giving it some TLC... hope to have it back by the 6th sept... all parts are on there way stay tuned

20. Default

thanks for sharing., just wonder if a turbo back could pass the emission test or not?..like cpe or best muffler one..///

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast