User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engineers Certificate and modds

Reckon the best muffler would have the best chance at passing emissions. It has a much larger cat in it compared to CPE. Time will tell!

I have an update!! .. Aaron from mps garage went to speak to the RTA engineer tester for the emissions. The test said that my car will not pass as the cat wouldnt pass!!!! the advice was to get a EURO cat. They put the smoke test on it and the exhaust had a number of leaks! so these would have to be fixed before it would pass. Aaron at Mps Garage (im guessing he has the task of getting it through testing) has my car waiting for the ecu to come back in 2 weeks and the test is the 6th of sept.. the bill could be BIG
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Hmm it might have only been a Victorian thing but I remember something about if your car came with 2 cats it needs to still have 2 cats afterwards. NSW might be different though. All this engineering simple stuff is a bit annoying, I get where they are coming from, the nanny state impression that we are all witless hacks who would turn our cars into death traps if they aren't there to stop us, but for an intake?..... really?

I am a little curious of performance vs compliance in this. I'm wondering if you will find that modifications to the modifications (more restrictive cat etc.) will actually hamstring any performance gains. I guess worse case scenario would be that after thousands of dollars the car is fully legal but basically identical to stock again just with fancy named parts in it. Hopefully there will be a much happier middle ground where you get 9/10ths the performance or more without any of the legal dubiousness.

Good luck Luke!

I think all states (excluding QLD) have the 2 cats stock needs 2 cats aftermarket.

The 100 cell cat isn't legal in any state. The EURO 4 cat would definately make it legal, but, from what I understand, any cat with the "compliance" stamp would be legal. The Gen 2 would be likely to need the EURO 4 cat fitted.

My cat is the 200 cel. but im sure its not got the stamp lol..

The cat thats being used is a Euro 5 cat. the cost is $500 ish fitted, this cat will meet emissions NOW. there is also a Euro 6 cat that will meet emissions for the next 5 years but $800ish fitted. This will not restrict flow much IF ANY! Im running a 3' TBE.. For more Info about the Cat see Aaron at MPS Garage While the Cat is beeing fitted the few small holes in the exhaust will be fixed. I will be going down tomorrow to check everything out and talk to the boys as there has been some issues with the car which have been overcome due to wrong parts... ( but everyone i have dealt with have been great and all helped me out) cant speak highy enough of Mps Garage and rota australia

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    The cat thats being used is a Euro 5 cat. the cost is $500 ish fitted, this cat will meet emissions NOW. there is also a Euro 6 cat that will meet emissions for the next 5 years but $800ish fitted. This will not restrict flow much IF ANY! Im running a 3' TBE.. For more Info about the Cat see Aaron at MPS Garage While the Cat is beeing fitted the few small holes in the exhaust will be fixed. I will be going down tomorrow to check everything out and talk to the boys as there has been some issues with the car which have been overcome due to wrong parts... ( but everyone i have dealt with have been great and all helped me out) cant speak highy enough of Mps Garage and rota australia

how to fit that cat?
    do you mean cut down the original cat and weld the new one?..,

Ummmmmmmmmm................how else would you do it ??????????

the old cat will be cut out and the new EURO 5 cat fitted. the co2 wire had to be lengthend.. Lets just say the exhaust tech guy doing the cat install isnt happy lol...( as all things latey with my car nothing going to plan).. i went to see my car today but was still at the exhaust dealers enough said !!!!! will be back at mps garage tomorrow and Aaron will be fitting fmic

Car ecu has now been sent to Cpe again. Should be back by monday/tuesday 14th, has been booked in for emissions testin on the following thursday 16th. i should have the car back the saturday or following monday. cant wait to have it back.....

11. Default

is there any mod that can't be engineered?
    like spacer, lighted big brake, etc.

cheers

yes there are somethings that are not get engineered

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    yes there are somethings that are not get engineered

then where can i find the list for the mods that defiantly illegal and cant get engineered?
    and any differ from state to state? im in SA.,

cheers

RTA have some things listed. anything the engineer sees as unsafe wont pass, it pays to ring the engineer and ask some questions. tell him what u will be doing to the car, what has been done. engineers see some of the rta guidelines diff to another.. best to ask first before going

Quote Originally Posted by carrera944 View Post
    then where can i find the list for the mods that defiantly illegal and cant get engineered?
    and any differ from state to state? im in SA.,

cheers
    Yeah it does differ from state to state, be very careful. For example pod filters in NSW need to be enclosed, in Vic that isnt a requirement they just can't be oiled. Your road authority should have a document about legally modifying a car, what is and isnt allowed. Id recommend looking at that if you can find it.

16. Default

^
    ^^
    cheers guys.~

Quick update, My ecu is back from CPe with fuel/throttle flash and going to try to get it through without the standback. if it fails standback wil go in and fuel mapping changed. this should be done by the weekend

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

I have been told if u want to remove the factory cats u can go to a Euro 5 cat, which has the same emissions as the 2 factory cats!! BUT with better flow flow will be to a point of a 'so called' High flow cat....

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

after i done my Exhaust i thought of this.... Garrett or corksport dump pipe, have the euro 5/6 fitted where the 2 cat goes. than put a 3' cat back and should make emissions.. FLOW will be great

Car will be engineered while its at MPSG next 10 or so days.

Have you considered running E85 to pass emissions? Kudos for getting everything legal, I know the feeling you've been experiencing when driving past cops. I had the same with the magna and it became too difficult to engineer, hence why I'm in an MPS now

Have you tried Athol Mullan at Cardiff? He engineers cars and is probably the most fairest I've heard about.

Theoretically, anything that isn't stock needs to be engineered. A mate was a smartarse to a cop one night when he was getting canaried and said does that include air freshners? lol Needless to say, the cars a track car now.

Good luck with it all man, keen to find out how you go!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast