User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you purchase an AWD MPS3

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd purchase a MPS 3 with AWD at a $5,000 premium

78 62.90%
  • I'd purchase a MPS 3 with AWD only if the price remained as they are

25 20.16%
  • I like my MPS 3 with all the power going to the front!

21 16.94%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The ultimate MPS3 AWD discussion

Blog Entries

Default The ultimate MPS3 AWD discussion

I see people everywhere saying they wish the MPS 3 was all wheel drive, but is that really the general consensus?

Adding AWD to the MPS would surely increase the cost, I'd guess at somewhere between $5K-$10K...would you pay it for an AWD option? Or do you like the fact that it's a FWD?

I have added a poll to this thread with three options:

1. I'd purchase a MPS 3 with AWD at a $5,000 premium
    2. I'd purchase a MPS 3 with AWD if the price remained as they are
    3. I like my MPS 3 with all the power going to the front!

(Obviously a vote for #1 is also a vote for #2)

What better way to discuss it in our new Featured Discussion forum! Discuss away!
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

It may sound mental, but if the mps was awd, I think it would lose the character and soul it has now.

This isnt just a car you jump into and drive the hell out of.

It needs respect, experience, and restraint.

I for one, want to ride the knife edge, because in the face of death, you really live.

Blog Entries

If they pumped up the price I might as well just buy a different car

4. Default

I wouldn't mind an AWD 3MPS but at the same time, the competition vehicles in that category are really too far advanced to make any headway. Evo and STIs still dominate the AWD category in the same size range as the MPS. They also have many recent years of world rally experience and strong platforms to build from. Mazda, they focused on the fast sport-car look category with the RX series of cars.

I almost prefer it to stay that way. Let the MPS sit at the front of 2wd turbo modern "small cars".

Saying that, an AWD 3MPS would be awesome, but would be a completely different car...

love the FWD like the tug and having to hold the steering hard , but try getting into traffic in the wet! awd would be handy. why not offer both?! why cant a tuning company get on the band wagon and make awd kits to sell (like DG motor sports did)....

AWD would be good. Would make the car a proper high performance car.

if it was the same price... yeah, maybe... but i wouldnt want any compromise on the interior (ala WRX...)
    but at the same time, AWD add's weight... which would reduce the fun of the MPS3 imo...

but as LRM has said, the FWD is part of the character... (bit like our "born with an extra cylinder" and tweed coat wearing cousins... cheap shot?)
    also, doubt that you would ever have a FWD or AWD option... it's too much effort/cost for a car company, it would have to be one or the other...
    also, having so much grunt through the front wheels does mean you need to respect the car more, much like your big power RWD cars, you cant boot it at whatever time you like

i can see why people might/would want it... but i think it would change the demographic of the car
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

A 3MPS with AWD would be like a 6MPS. And we all know how hard that initiative failed!

Quote Originally Posted by littleredmps View Post
    it may sound mental, but if the mps was awd, i think it would lose the character and soul it has now.

This isnt just a car you jump into and drive the hell out of.

It needs respect, experience, and restraint.

I for one, want to ride the knife edge, because in the face of death, you really live.

totally agreed...

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

If it was AWD, It'd have to have much more power. 220-230KW stock I'd reckon. And maybe some 420NM at least.
    Again, it would change the 'SOUL' of the car.
    I love my MPS3G1...
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Voted #1.

As stock is fine, however when you start modding them I would like to be able to put all that power down and not to be wasted on wheel spin.

Definitely a vote for AWD, if it came in AWD I'd probably have one by now. I'd like to see Mazda offer both AWD and FWD and let the market decide.

id hit it

More power loss, weigh more.. If I wanted AWD I would have bought a WRX...
    I like my FWD, it would change the character of the car, most likely being boring and wallow around like the new WRX.

FWD FTW. It may not be ideal for LOTS of power, but it sure is fun!

Well said Jmac!

Mazda need an AWD MPS and a 2WD MPS, wait they had that in 2006

Seriously though the 3MPS can still be a FWD and AWD package!

The FWD is the entry level for sub $40K and the AWD is the Lux spec at sub $50K but with much nicer fruit included, simple eh!

Wow I think I should have read the posts before I voted... I voted for AWD at a premium, but now I read all this I agree - I love FWD!

Blog Entries

What about RWD? What are peoples thoughts on that?

18. Default

If the MPS3 was AWD it would be a bigger draw card for me and I would definately give it another test drive and would pay the extra money for it as for me the extra money for the AWD is worth it and adds a whole new dimension to the car ... and the interior of the WRX is still a bit blah to consider that ... very keen to see the MY11 model in the flesh though.

Once you go AWD you dont go back

The MPS3 as it is now I wouldnt buy it.
    Last edited by blackbetty; 21-07-2010 at 10:58 AM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Blog Entries

I actually would like to take back my previous comment...if it was a extra $5000 it would still be a fairly cheap car considering Evos and STIs are still a good $10k more (I think they are close to $60k where the MPS with the extra $5k would still be only $50k)

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    What about RWD? What are peoples thoughts on that?
    not a big fan of high powered RWD on short wheelbase... makes oversteer much harder to control
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    If the MPS3 was AWD it would be a bigger draw card for me and I would definately give it another test drive and would pay the extra money for it as for me the extra money is worth it and adds a whole new dimension to the car and the interior of the WRX is still abit blah to consider that.

The MPS3 as it is now I wouldnt buy it.
    AWD would HAVE to come at a premium, im thinking closer to 50k mark (from FWD's high 30's-low 40's)
    i like my "bum-dragger" and am happy for it to stay that way!
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast