User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you purchase an AWD MPS3

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd purchase a MPS 3 with AWD at a $5,000 premium

78 62.90%
  • I'd purchase a MPS 3 with AWD only if the price remained as they are

25 20.16%
  • I like my MPS 3 with all the power going to the front!

21 16.94%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The ultimate MPS3 AWD discussion

We are a bad group of people to ask because we have already bought them.

If we really wanted 4WD we would have bought Subaru's or Mitsubishi's, easy as that.

Ask the people who decided NOT to buy an MPS what they would do if 4WD were an option and I think they would pick up a lot of sales.

As for me, if the MPS had 4WD as a $5k option then I would have taken it for sure. $10k is too much tho.

FWD FTW.

If it was AWD, it would lose the excitement of daily driving fun, Especially in the wet.

I presume that those who comment about the AWD and the 6MPS don't actually drive them or live with one. Extra weight and all the AWD MPS6 blows away a 3mps in the lower gears, by the time the 3MPS gets past the limiter the 6mps is gone. I still see pockets face when he drove NICKOWS car - he just couldn't believe how well they go.

I drove a MPS 3 home tonight - yep does go well, but it's certainly not the smooth stealth acceleration of my AWD MPS6.

As a mechanic, I wouldn't touch a WRX under any circumstances, cheap build quality. Resale value lousy in comparison to all Mazda's. EVO maybe, but as there is no replacement for my MPS6, I will keep it, the MPS6 is now the car I have owned for the longest time, must be good, not sick of it yet.

Unless a AWD MPS3 came along.

Blog Entries

I am suprised to hear a WRX would has a worse resale value compared to a Mazda, Mazda's are HORRIBLE!! I have seen $40k+ cars bought new are now worth half or even less!

Quote Originally Posted by rd415 View Post
    Extra weight and all the AWD MPS6 blows away a 3mps in the lower gears, by the time the 3MPS gets past the limiter the 6mps is gone.

thats a good one
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    I am suprised to hear a WRX would has a worse resale value compared to a Mazda, Mazda's are HORRIBLE!! I have seen $40k+ cars bought new are now worth half or even less!
    [B]Looked at seconhand prices of WRX's Lately - try and buy a cheap 3 ????[/B]

7. Default

Call me nuts, but RWD Pls.

I don't think a 3 would be nice at all if it were RWD.

60% of the weight in the front in a short wheelbase package. The entire car would need to be redesigned unless Mazda found a market for car buyers that love going around corners backwards.

If it was AWD couldn't you then remove some/all the boost limitation in the low gears which would compensate for a bit of a heavier car?

You = Mazda

10. Default

why yes you could Zed ... welcome to the MPS6 ... no limiters in our cars

This is what happens if you make a RWD short wheelbase car with lots of front end

YouTube - Sasha's RWD GTiR

Not only was the car uncontrolable, it was significantly slower when converted to RWD. Even the GTi-R engine converted FWD Pulsars were quicker.

I would much prefer a good quality Mazda thats FWD than a cheapened AWD mazda (a la WRX and their seat covers made from potato sacks)

Mazdas money would be better spent on a new 6 MPS AWD

^ Yeah... I'd especially buy one (6MPS) if they updated the MPS engine to the 2.5L. Its supposedly the same everything, just a bored out block. Instant 8.7% increase in torque
    Last edited by Scaredycrow; 23-07-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Mazda need an AWD MPS and a 2WD MPS, wait they had that in 2006
    Exactly. Its been done and the MPS6 failed to sell.

My feeling from the time I test drove one was:

It was too big for a sedan, too heavy and I was never into the whole luxury concept (full leather seats). Despite having AWD it never came to mind the "hmm the AWD feels great" thought.

If mazda is gonna make another one they will need to justify the price, pretty much it was more expensive because it was bigger and had AWD but not because it was a better car. The only thing they got right was the looks.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

14. Default

It is a better car and was worth the extra money otherwise all of us here who have one would have brought a 3MPS.

Its not even classified a large car its medium, its a medium sized sedan.

And if you didnt get the AWd buzz out of it, you didnt test it properly

**Keep this thread on topic ... (MPS3, not MPS3 vs MP6s wars)**

from brettski ....the anti_moderator

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    It is a better car and was worth the extra money otherwise all of us here who have one would have brought a 3MPS.
    Lets leave which was was better to personal taste, I was only giving my personal impressions.

Yes no all of us but most of us bought a 3MPS, that says something.

Its not even classified a large car its medium, its a medium sized sedan.
    For a sedan it felt huge and heavy to me.

And if you didnt get the AWd buzz out of it, you didnt test it properly
    More like it failed to make an impression on me, test drive is a test drive....., i was only driving for just over half an hour and only came back to the dealer because the sales person started to ask "do you know where we are?"

It failed to sell so its dead, thats what i was basing my opinion on, the car was good and so was the looks....it just didnt survive.

Something for Mazda to consider, if there was sufficient demand

1) Retain current MPS 3 as FWD and add a premium MPS 3 model with AWD

or

2) Retain current MPS 3 forget AWD but concentrate on making the MPS 3 a Golf GTI killer in sales and desirability (talk to VW dealers and the GTI has almost a 6 month wait and you have people wanting to pay a premium so they can buy the demo )

If I was a bean counter at Mazda I'd be trying for option 2 first and once the demand for the MPS 3 was sufficiently established then look at building niche AWD EVO beating examples. Take a look at the monthly sales for Australia and the MPS 3 is not really breaking any records, not sure what Europe or the US is like but after reading the reviews it is not as well loved as some other makes of hot hatch and whilst this is great for the "Cult" or "Hero" following it doesn't equate to mega sales...

Just my thoughts
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Take a look at the monthly sales for Australia and the MPS 3 is not really breaking any records, not sure what Europe or the US is like but after reading the reviews it is not as well loved as some other makes of hot hatch and whilst this is great for the "Cult" or "Hero" following it doesn't equate to mega sales...

Just my thoughts

Just as a personal opinion and because I drive Brads MPS3 I can say with some authority as a fairly regular driver of both the 6 & 3 MPS they really are very different cars. My 6 is a much smoother and very deceiving performance car. I think the deception of performance and handling is the reason they were/are so underated by the media. So quiet and smooth, even when the loud pedal is pushed. The mps3 is firmer riding - has hugely less suspension travel ( Brad's 3 cocks its left leg exiting our street) and is considerably twitchier because of the shorter wheelbase. The two cars really can't be compared as one is a HOT HATCH and the other is a LUXURY SEDAN vastly different categories.

So as Brett says - it's no competition between the two and get the post back on track

I'll probably buy a MPS3 to replace the MPS6 when it's due as the only other cars that come close to the 6 are out of my price range (Golf R or Audi)
    Last edited by rd415; 23-07-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: buying a mps3

The MPS6 is the closest Mazda has got to a MPS3 with AWD so discussing the MPS6 still on topic....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast