User Tag List

Thread: Holiday

Default Holiday

Hi guys, just need a bit of advice on something. My wife and I are about to embark on a 2 month holiday, and I'm just wondering what's the best way to take care of our cars. We have a 6 MPS and a MX-5, and I've heard different things from different people about what to do. Under normal circumstances I would've thought that unplugging the positive lead of the battery would be suffice in preventing it from draining, but my dad reckons that it may stuff up electronics in newer cars. Is there any truth in that, or is it just hog-wash? Does anyone have any tips or advice (maybe getting my neighbour to start our cars once a week?) on what's the right thing to do?

Thanks a lot!

colder it is, the more you get them to start it, would be my advice...
    see if they can take them for a drive, even if its just up the street and back, else, i would say starting it every 3 weeks or so (so, twice whilst youre away) and letting it run for 10-15 should be ok

im going away for a month myself, am just asking parents to take my car for quick run around the block/to the shops during the middle weekend of trip
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Disconnecting the battery should only cause you to lose radio/window settings and the ECU to reset. I'd probably leave them connected and get someone to give them a short drive once or twice whilst you're away as you don't want your tyres developing flat spots from sitting idle, though two months is not too long! Enjoy your holiday mate