User Tag List

Thread: Are mps engines noisy

Default Are mps engines noisy

Hi, my mps seems to be noisy..no strange sounds, just loud...

is it the valves that are noisy or do i have something strange with my car...??

Thanks

mine isnt noisy... has a turbo whistle on light throttle in the 2500-3250(ish) rpm band, but unless im giving it a bootful, i dont find it noisy...
    most people when i drive them have no idea what the car is capable of as i rarely go above 3000-3500 rpm..

Best for u to get one of the forumers to have a listen or compare with their cars. There the clicking noise which is usual with my MPS.

When the curry button (accelerator) is pressed quite firmly, yes the volume does increase quite significantly.

guess it should be asked... have you done mods to the car?
    cause they can increase noise significantly... mine is stock

mine is stock at the minute..just seems loud at idle...and through the rev range just seems louder than what i remember it to be...maybe a service will clear it all up then will compare with some others...thanks guys

MPS engines are noisy-ish at idle. The top end is a bit clattery. I'm told the DISI engines use very high pressure injectors which make their presence felt. Mine is a bit quieter since I started using Millers Ecomax in the petrol. If you can't get it in Aus. then you will have something similar. It is a cleaner/octane booster. Definitely get it checked out first just in case it isn't something nasty.

^bingo.. injectors are noisy.. so is the throw out bearing on the clutch/gearbox..

They tick, rattle and hum.. dont worry.. just enjoy it

Doc

Something strange with your car mate.. ever heard an SR20DET guess not. ..

^love this guy.....

Most of the noise at idle, especially with the bonnet open, is injector stroke, where the injectors produce a light diesel-like rattle. Not surprising, seeing it is being fed much the same way. Also some ancillary drive-belt whistle. Idling at traffic lights, I've had passengers comment on the fact that they can't hear the engine, until I move off. Even with my exhaust changes, the idle note is almost imperceptible, but develops an aggressive but still muted note on goosing the throttle. I can barely hear the turbo, as it is well muffled by the FMIC and airbox. There is some induction growl on WOT but you have to listen for it to recognize it. You can hear the BOV opening on gear shifts but it is a mild chuff (100% bypass). On the freeway, I have no exhaust drone, unlike some more open systems, but any other noises are far an away exceeded and drowned out by tyre-on-road noise, especially on chip surfaces. It's worse with Potenzas than any other tyres usually fitted to these. Put it this way, I've driven way noisier cars.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    Something strange with your car mate.. ever heard an SR20DET guess not. ..
    I think what is being refered to here, is that if you hear a SR20DET - the 54C GTi-R motor, then you'll have something to worry about. They are a very rattley motor. But a damn good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    ^bingo.. injectors are noisy.. so is the throw out bearing on the clutch/gearbox..

They tick, rattle and hum.. dont worry.. just enjoy it

Doc
    I was starting to worry about the throw out bearing. I have noticed its noise lately.

stress less... mine done it for 5k's on the clock

Doc

Throw out bearing noise is usually nothing to worry about. My old Austin did it for 180,000km and it never changed and never screwed up.

@ SRs, been there...

If it sounds like a truck, then everything is normal !

I had a weird intermittent rattle, timing chain pre-tensioner... replaced under warranty.
    Ticking, rattling etc is all normal.
    Throw out bearing, normal....

Damn this car does remind me of my pulsar, rattler and throw out bearing whizzing.. Guess technology HASNT come all that far since 1994.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

No more input so question sufficiently answered. Any issues please pm me