User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stone chips

I've given up touching up the front bar on my car. For a 16-year old car, it's mint, but the front bar lets it down. I can't justify spending the money to get it resprayed.

One of my own clients reversed into me a year back right infront of me. At first I thought, "You ..............................", then discovered the only damage was a bent number plate.

Despite them being very apologetic - I told them to do a better job next time.

2. Default

Decals anyone?..

Quote Originally Posted by Qwooootz View Post
    Decals anyone?..
    If I put enough decals on the front of my 6 to cover all the stone chips it would look worse than ricer... may as well go the full vinyl wrap...

Not to mention the decals required for the roof and rear spoiler... :s

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

4. Default

info helps. I have a few stone chips too. Not much you can really do to prevent them

5. Default

Would it be possible to get a little bottle of touch up paint or something rather than respray entirely? I have noticed white chips everywhere and a few short but deep scrathes, the previous owner was not as loving as me! Anyone know where/ if I can get celestial blue touch up?

Quote Originally Posted by mazda3mps View Post
    That just looks too good to be true.

Either that, or you can goto Autobarn - and they can mix it up as per manufacturers spec's!

Then you goto an art store and get a 0/0 brush (ultra fine) and touch up! Save yourself $$'s on getting someone else to do it. All you need is a clean car, and a steady hand (suggest stay off the redbull...!)

I've done this for years.

Whenever I try to touch it up myself, it ends up being a little bubble that bulges out... I don't know how to get it to sit flat with the paint around the chip lol

I normally use a toothpick to 'roll' the paint into a stone chip rather than 'blobbing' it on with a brush.

Have found it's a much better result

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

WOW?!?!?!!? Dr.ColorChip is a dream come true? That video demonstration is amazing ...

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    I normally use a toothpick to 'roll' the paint into a stone chip rather than 'blobbing' it on with a brush.

Have found it's a much better result

Umm, do you mean in a "scratching" motion...? Using the end of a toothpick or rolling it like you would roll bread dough?

rolling it across the inside of the chip with the end of the toothpick. Scratching motions will make the paint application uneven

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    rolling it across the inside of the chip with the end of the toothpick. Scratching motions will make the paint application uneven
    Won't it smear outside the chipped area onto the paint and create an uneven surface?

Not if you have a steady hand and you don't load up the toothpick

I get my touch-up paint from Auto One.
    I have them dilute it by 50% with thinners, which makes it easier to apply by the toothpick method.
    More coats, but less bubbling up.
    Just take time between coats to allow the thinners to evaporate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12