User Tag List

Thread: car wash and wax combination not working?

Question car wash and wax combination not working?

Hello everyone.

For my 2008 Mazda2 I've switched carwash to (el cheapo sorry) Turtle Wax 'Car Wash', and I wax as usual with Mothers California Gold Carnuba Liquid Wax. I'm noticing that the water no longer beads after a single wash.

Is the Turtle brand car wash removing the wax, or does it maybe contain something that doesn't allow the wax to stick to the paintwork?

Prior to the last wax I also clayed with Meguiars Quik Clay Kit. Might this have something to do with it?

Thanks.

If you clay, you need to polish Alice.

Even if you are really careful, you will end up with residue from the clay on your paint.

If you are going to use a car wash, Meguiars Gold Class is a good one, and not to expensive.

Not sure how well wax will bond to clay residue either.

Autoglym - Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner (you can buy it at Repco now not that expensive).

This wash is the best I have used leaves car really shiny after drying with waffle weave cloth.

Sounds to me that when you clayed the car you removed ALL the previous wax and protection that it gave, but that is what a clay bar is for, it removes every last trace of surface contamination, be it intentional (wax) or road film.

IMO one coat of liquid wax s not enough to get back the beading you want to see, 2 or 3 coats of a paste wax would.

After that you can keep the finish topped up with the liquid wax.

I also use "el cheapo" Turtle wax wash and it works fine for me but my MPS has probably got 15 - 20 layers on it at the moment although I remove them every 6 months with a claying session and then start again, some might say I suffer from OCD

Hm, Ok. Thank you all for your feedback!

If I need "2-3 coats of paste wax" which do you recommend?

A couple of the guys use the Prima wax which is a sealant. Get Joel who's in this forum or even postmanDan or if i remember correctly blackbetty. They've used his prima wax and are very happy with it. I use Meguire's gold class wax and am quite happy with it.

I read this as you clayed BEFORE you last applied the wax??? If this is the case it will not have had an effect. If anything it will improve wax bonding to the surface since you clayed all the crap off the surface. And just a good rinse or wash after claying is all that is required.

If since changing your car wash, your wax doesn't last as long as it was previously, then I'd almost be willing to bet that it is the cause. It may not be that the wash isn't "wax friendly". You may just be using it in higher concentrations than what is recommended.

Liquid waxes don't have a reputation for being long lasting. Our Prima Banana Gloss isn't either, but it will definately bead water no probs. If you want serious protection you need to use either a synthetic wax (sealant) or if you want to stick with carnauba then use a paste as previously mentioned. They all still require maintenance. But not nearly as regular as a liquid carnauba wax. I only ever use a liquid wax like Banana Gloss for example for the look it gives. Not the protection.

Quote Originally Posted by countrychic View Post
    Hm, Ok. Thank you all for your feedback!

If I need "2-3 coats of paste wax" which do you recommend?
    I am not sure if you can get it over there, It is called FinishKare.
    Of ALL the carnuba paste waxes I have used over the years it is by far the best.
    Last edited by 07MPS6; 18-07-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: removed link

Quote Originally Posted by 07MPS6 View Post
    I am not sure if you can get it over there, It is called FinishKare.
    Maybe you should take a look at the forum sponsors website a little bit more (ours). We distribute this brand here in Australia. We even give forum members discounts.

On that topic though. Finish Kare's 1000P paste wax is far superior to the pink wax. So we sell only the 1000P. If you really want the pink wax though we have some.

I ran out of banana gloss on friday

Stop drinking it Missy

Its soooooooooooo yummy

I apologise (link now removed), but seeing as I am in the UK I tend not to look at the vendors/sponsors sections that much, for obvious reasons.
    However, in your opinion ( seeing as Silver is notoriously difficult to get a shine on anyway), do you think I could improve on the finish on my car if I were to step up to the 1000p, picture below;
    Last edited by 07MPS6; 18-07-2010 at 08:10 PM.

All good mate

Seriously though, try the 1000P. It was even voted "product of the year" by one of your UK detailing forums. As far as outshining your pink wax I can't guarantee that. But I can guarantee the pink wax won't leave it behind. And the 1000P is far more durable.

Thanks guys (esp Joel). I will clarify:

I have a 'crystal white pearl' 2008 Mazda2. It gets washed maybe once a month, waxed twice a year (liquid), clayed... well, once so far and I waxed it immediately afterwards. It hasn't got any swirls or scratches to the paint work. Aside from stone chips.

Since I seem to have stripped off all the wax, I assume that I need to:
    1. wash
    2. use a paint cleaner
    3. wax.

Joel, I'm more than happy for you to make product recommendations.

Hi there

Based on your schedule of washing and waxing I'd highly recommend you look at something synthetic to replace your liquid carnauba wax with. Waxing only once every 6 months with a liquid wax means your car is waxed maybe 4 out of every 12 months. The other 8 is just bare paint waiting for the next coat of wax.

What I recommend in this case is a couple of the Meguiar's products. Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax liquid for the sealant, then replace your shampoo with a new shampoo from Meguiar's called Ultimate Wash & Wax.

The reason why I've recommended these products over others like say a Prima combo is because it basically leaves your waxing and washing schedule unchanged. The NXT Tech Wax contains some mild cleaners, so as long as you keep the paint in reasonable condition and clay when necessary it can be used as a one step product like you have been using the Mothers product twice a year. And using the Wash & Wax product will boost your waxes durability to ensure your wax lasts the 6 months.

Nice explanation Joel

I just bought some of the new megs wash and wax and its good as long as you use the correct amount, unlike myself the first time i used it, i just squirted it in and it was runnier than it looked and well put it this way i had a massive mud mote around my car from the excess water i had to use to get it off..it really sticks like to a blanket

And yeahNXT tech wax is great

Im about to go detail the Patrol now with the above products plus the megs paint cleaner

I keep the yummier stuff for my car

I'll be in contact soon Joel

Spot on Missy. Definately use it in the correct concentrations or it can cause trouble. I've also heard of it streaking when you make the mixture too strong.

Thank you!

I've just acquired some Meguairs Cleaner Wax paste rather than the NXT Tech Wax liquid recommended. I notice that this is a primarily carnauba based wax (see MSDS sheet) wheras NXT Tech Wax is all synthetic (that MSDS sheet). If I use the Megs Cleaner Wax Paste does that just mean I need to reapply it every 3 months or so as opposed to every 6 months?

Just wondering if its worth going and buying NXT Tech Wax now.
    Last edited by countrychic; 19-07-2010 at 03:09 PM.