User Tag List

Thread: Are 18 x 9 wheels legal for gen1 mps 3 !!!!!

Unhappy Are 18 x 9 wheels legal for gen1 mps 3 !!!!!

I think the 18 x 9's look hot but I would hate to spend big $$$$ on new rims & tyres to be told they are an illegal fittment , being defected or having comprehensive insurance claims not approved . Can some one please tell me if they are or are not. ROH WHEELS claim that wheels over 8 inches wide on a gen 1 mps are not !!!!

Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

its my understanding that the offset needed to run a 9" wheel would make it ILLEGAL, and therefore not insured, 42 offset with a 8 inch wheel is as wide as you can go legally...

3. Default

I thought you are not allowed to go more than an inch or 1.5 inch wider than stock which is 7" so anything more than 8.0/8.5" is illegal

1 Inch over

Here you go rta's giudelines for rim sizes

Finding rims can be very hard. too wide is illegal and also with our offset quite difficult. when I upgraded I was searching for quite a long time to find a 20" by 7 or 8. from my personal experience... don't go too wide in this car. I had 245.30.20 and the offset was perfect to keep the rubber inside but it still scraped too much. looked hot though.

Thanks every one , thats cleared that up for me , MADAZ is a cop magnet as it is , so no illegal rims 4 me. I have 18x 8 @ 42 offset ROH modjular 3 piece wheels that ROH stipulate are the widest legal rims for a gen 1 mps as you guys have confirmed

Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

im going 18x8.5 +48 but i will have to get engineers cert . i will include all other mods too ...

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    im going 18x8.5 +48 but i will have to get engineers cert . i will include all other mods too ...
    18x8.5 +48 won't fit if you decide to fit coilovers. The larger bore will interfere with the front wheels.

You will need something like +40, maybe even +38.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by heath_303 View Post
    its my understanding that the offset needed to run a 9" wheel would make it ILLEGAL, and therefore not insured, 42 offset with a 8 inch wheel is as wide as you can go legally...
    Luke b4 you spend lots of $$$$$ I think what Troy & Heath say is probably correct I have a 42 offset & they only just clear the coilovers by a bee's whisker ,the wheels are out to the max of the gaurds as well 8.5 would go way past the extremitys of both front & rear gaurds ,sorry mate

Col

THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Col can u give me a mm est? i have done some reseach. on other forums guys running 9.5' needing a +35 to miss by a hair! im getting 8.5 +48. +35 - +48 is 13mm (half of an inch is 12-13mm), so by this caculation it will be tight!!!! might, might not!!!have a look at where the bottom of where the shock mounts into the hub tell me if theres a lip on the top the shock sit on? some of the coilover a 1-2 mm lip. the coilovers im getting doesnt have the lip... sound correct?

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

I hope my caculations are correct

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Buy what im reading and seeing is that the coilovers that have a 'sleave' are fatter. where the one without them are about the same size as standard ( i will stand corrected if im wrong) but the standard shock has a dent in them which help by 2-3 mm.. there was other write ups but i changed computers and cant find the other threads

The Ultimate Aggressive Wheel Thread...
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Col your wheels are fine