User Tag List

Thread: Brake failure totals Mazdaspeed 3 at race track

1. Default Brake failure totals Mazdaspeed 3 at race track

Cosmic blue 3 MPS totalled on its side after brake failure at 210+ kph. Driver lives to tell story. Good on him and on the MPS airbag system.

Interesting to note in the discussion, the driver claimed Mazda's ABS 'dump mode' that apparently caused the crash, after failing to check the inside brake pad thickness - he only visually checked the outside pad thickness.

This is also mentioned in this blog by a guy who races a Gen II MPS in the Grand-Am series Continental Tire Championship

2010 Back Racing! Grand-Am Continental Tire Series. | Hacquard Racing

so... his brakes were worn out, he didnt check properly, and brake failure caused a crash?
    i dont see how this is anything to worry about assuming people change their brake pads when/if needed

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    so... his brakes were worn out, he didnt check properly, and brake failure caused a crash?
    i dont see how this is anything to worry about assuming people change their brake pads when/if needed
    I guess the "failure" is that the pads are waering unevely. In this instance the inside pad was wearing faster than the outside.

I gotta say, pads will almost ALWAYS wear unevenly, but the percentage is so low that it has no real bearing.

For somebody to inspect the outside pad only, decide that there's plenty of thinkness there (for a track day no less) means that the inside pad needs to have worn out at a SIGNIFICATLY increased rate. Instead of the 1-5% you'd have to think more along the lines of 30%+.

Surely?

this is soooo 2008...

check your brakes before you need them to really stop at mach 2