User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prima Paint Protection - A Quick How To Guide

I pretty much followed Joel's advice, but also included a few extras:

Exactly what Joel just pointed out.

Heres how I did it:

1. On Saturday morning, washed the entire car with Morning Fresh - used a relatively strong mix, wanted to ensure I got all waxes, oils and cr@p off the car. Important, do not let dry, and deffo do not do this in direct sun. Once washed, rinse well, and dry with microfibre drying towel (available from ZAS).

2. Reverse into garage, apply Amigo.

It goes on just like a polish. Apply and remove like you would any other polish. Buff off with microfibre polishing cloth.

3. Apply 1st layer of Epic.

Make sure you're in a well ventilated environment. This stuff can cause headaches! Apply it VERY thin. The surface should look oily more than anything. It will dry to a slight haze - it'll resemble a dull look on the paint. If it dries white, you've applied too much. I let this set over night.

4. This step is optional in my own opinion - either remove the first layer of epic, or you can apply the 2nd layer of Epic right over the top. I applied the 2nd over the top. The main reason for doing so, is that you get 100% coverage over the car. Once you're satisfied that it's completely covered, let it sit again. 3-4 hours is ok, I once again, let it sit over night.

5. Monday afternoon I removed the Epic. This buffs off pretty easy, but you can apply some Hyrdo which assists.

6. Optional: I washed the car with Mystique - it has polymers and brightners in it. Once I dried it with the drying towel, I applied a full cover of Hydro again.

It does sound long winded, but hey, it saves a packet when it comes to protection.

I wash my car once a week, and use Slick (another Prima Product) most weekends, to give a deep glossy shine. Every 3rd weekend, I use Hyrdo to top up the cover.

I've got a picture at home I'll upload to show what the Epic should look like!
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Thanks for that info Dan

The only thing I can add is if you are going to give it a wash, make sure you have left the Epic for 24 hours beforehand to cure.

The application of Epic is the most important stage of this process. It is very important not too apply it too thick, as this can cause issues getting it off - don't dispair however, as Hyrdo will loosen it all up anyhow. The pictures below show how thin this application is.

Remember, it is possible to apply layer after layer on top of each other (ensures 100% coverage).

2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Awesome pics Dan

Like Dan said, avoid your trim with the Amigo and Epic. If you get a tiny bit on there it will just wipe off without staining, but if you coat the trim then no doubt it will stain.

For anyone considering Paint Protection, I recommend Prima available thru ZAS.

Just started the process over again (each 12 months). The results are totally worth the effort.

Am most of the way through this process now. Just waiting for the second coat of Epic to cure. Awesome write up Danski. Really helpful.

Dan2ski

Edit: Have finished. Images here: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...tml#post144779
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 03-12-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Hmmm.....maybe i might try this, ive been thinking about it ever since i first saw this thread....although i know my car already has mega epic protection with the products i'm currently using, but i just wanna try something different and i just got my early bday present a RS4900 not that im going to test it on my MPS (thats crash test beep beep barinas job) but i just miss detailing so much....

Maybe Joel might donate it to me for my Bday tomorrow

Definitely worth a try Missy. I think you'd appreciate it

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Missy

I just looked into the RS4900. It looks like a Makita 9227 with a different colour body and badge. The Makita is a great machine. The backing plate and/or wool pad attached to it is something you'll want to remove. Also keep in mind it is a rotary polisher so go easy with it.

You'll need a backing plate like this for it lake country flexible backing plate 150mm and if you want to run small 4" pads on it you'll need one of these lake country flexible backing plate 73mm. The larger diameter pads will cut faster, the smaller diameter are much easier to handle. I'm a big fan of 4" pads on the rotary. You still get more than enough cut and they are a breeze to control.

You'll then also need some decent foam pads. I'm using these ones with my rotary lake country Hydro-tech pads.

I'll summarise all this when I PM you back later but basically the work you can do with this machine is where you are going to see massive results.

Did this kit on the weekend, I have to say, I'm absolutely stoked with the result. I was absolutely exhausted by the time I was done though. Did a wash with morning fresh Friday arvo started about 6. Dried her off, then did the Meg's claybar kit (think I may have overlubed a little, only have 1/4 bottle of the detailer left). Hosed her off, dried her off. Applied Amigo, buffed off. Applied first layer of Epic, finished about 12.40am. Applied second layer of epic at around 1pm on Saturday and buffed it off Sunday morning. I haven't washed the car yet, but will give it a wash and hydro this weekend.

The VR came up amazing and I have the guru himself's seal of approval........."you did a good job"

Pics to follow.....and thanks to Random for the help Friday night
    Last edited by Leelu; 28-02-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Awesome stuff Linda. Am very proud of you

Looking forward to seeing pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks heaps Mr Joel

I eagerly await your PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post

Hey Missy

I just looked into the RS4900. It looks like a Makita 9227 with a different colour body and badge. The Makita is a great machine. The backing plate and/or wool pad attached to it is something you'll want to remove. Also keep in mind it is a rotary polisher so go easy with it.

You'll need a backing plate like this for it lake country flexible backing plate 150mm and if you want to run small 4" pads on it you'll need one of these lake country flexible backing plate 73mm. The larger diameter pads will cut faster, the smaller diameter are much easier to handle. I'm a big fan of 4" pads on the rotary. You still get more than enough cut and they are a breeze to control.

You'll then also need some decent foam pads. I'm using these ones with my rotary lake country Hydro-tech pads.

I'll summarise all this when I PM you back later but basically the work you can do with this machine is where you are going to see massive results.

13. Default

Looks good

Hey what did you use to apply and remove amigo polish? The microfibre polishing cloth you use to buff it off with or something else?

What did you use to apply Epic? And to remove it?

And step 6 says you applied full cover of Hydro again, which step did you even apply Hydro in?

Quote Originally Posted by kh92 View Post
    Hey what did you use to apply and remove amigo polish? The microfibre polishing cloth you use to buff it off with or something else?

What did you use to apply Epic? And to remove it?

And step 6 says you applied full cover of Hydro again, which step did you even apply Hydro in?
    You apply it with the applicator pad that comes in the Prima Paint Protection kit that ZAS (Joel) sells. Buff off with a microfiber cloth (also in the kit)

He would have used some Hydro in step 5 to aid removal of the Epic layers.

Sent from my iPhone using soon to be uninstalled POS Tapatalk App (fix the damn app you mofos!!!)
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Hi Kh92

The white microfibre pad is supplied for applying the Amigo. The green microfibre cloth is supplied for removing the residue afterwards.

I am going to be doing a bunch of short videos for the Detailing Library. Maybe a quick demo on this process is something I need to add.

How do you dry the car after the Morning Fresh wash D:
    I bought a ZAS microfibre waffle weave window towel, will that dry the car or is it bad for the paint?

Waffle weave is preferred (get the largest one)

Use it to pat the car dry to minimise chance of putting swirls in the paint. Avoid dragging or rubbing the car dry where possible

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Quote Originally Posted by kh92 View Post
    How do you dry the car after the Morning Fresh wash D:
    I bought a ZAS microfibre waffle weave window towel, will that dry the car or is it bad for the paint?
    Make sure you rinse it well. That is the most important thing here with the dishwashing liquid.

You might find the waffle doesn't work too well after the morning fresh as the water will sit flat on the panels. But once you wax it do exactly as above. Sheet the waterbeads off and then just pat dry what is left. It will suck up the water quite easily and there is no need for heavy wiping.

After my 2nd layer has sat for 3-4 hours or overnight, can I wash it with any type of car wash? for eg. Armorall wash and wax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast