User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prima Paint Protection - A Quick How To Guide

Quote Originally Posted by kh92 View Post
    After my 2nd layer has sat for 3-4 hours or overnight, can I wash it with any type of car wash? for eg. Armorall wash and wax
    I would leave it for a few days (or a week) before washing it. Just to let the paint protection fully cure and bond

I also wouldn't go near any armorall product, but that's personal preference. There are much better quality car wash shampoos about

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

So should I just wipe the residue from the Epic off with Hyrdo? And wash it in a few weeks.. Im guessing so because driving around with the Epic on would look ridiculous haha

You buff it off mate. Yes you can use some Hydro if you need (Read step 5)

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 12-06-2011 at 08:41 AM.

4. Default

Hi thanks for the guide. A few questions,

What is the purpose of using morning fresh? Are normal car wash not advisable?

Should I be doing this to a straight out of the factory new car?

Do I need a machine polisher for all this?

Lastly, do I still need to apply a natural wax every other month?

thanks!
    Last edited by derkaiser94; 16-09-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derkaiser94 View Post
    Hi thanks for the guide. A few questions,

What is the purpose of using morning fresh? Are normal car wash not advisable?

Should I be doing this to a straight out of the factory new car?

Do I need a machine polisher for all this?

thanks!
    Hi,

Morning Fresh is used to remove any residual waxes/polish off the car. It should only ever be used on your car for this purpose.

Paint protection can be done on any age of car, however it will only protect what is beneath it. By that I mean if your car has swirls and scratches in the clear coat, this process won't do much to hide them. The Prima Amigo polish layer will do a very small amount of concealing of fine swirls, but the paint protection's primary purpose is to protect what's already there. Which leads into your third question....

A machine polish will remove much of the swirling and scratching in your car's clear coat, provided it's used correctly. If it's used incorrectly, it will put more swirls and scratches into the clear . You don't need to use a machine polisher to apply the paint protection as that's just the protective layer and should be applied by hand. However, if your clear coat is at the point where there are swirls and scratches in it (and I've seen brand new dealer-delivered cars with swirling in the clear), then for best (shiniest) results, they really should be removed before the paint protection goes onto the car. I've done paint protection for a few cars now and will always 'correct' the clear coat by machining it before I apply the paint protection.

Again, you don't have to do this, but to see the absolute best result. If you've never done machine polishing before it's not something I'd recommend leaping into feet-first. There is a fairly reasonable amount of skill involved, especially when using rotary polishers.

Hope this helps

Dan

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

6. Default

Thanks for the reply. A couple more newbie questions. Is there still a need to apply natural carnauba wax after all this? Lastly, does the applicator and micro cloths used need to be washed afterwards? They guide has been very helpful indeed. Can't wait to give it a try!

Regarding step 5, should Hydro be used to coat the whole car or only used to remove Epic?
    Last edited by derkaiser94; 16-09-2011 at 09:18 PM.

I learned something tonight, thanks Dan

Thanks for the reply. A couple more newbie questions. Is there still a need to apply natural carnauba wax after all this? Lastly, does the applicator and micro cloths used need to be washed afterwards? They guide has been very helpful indeed. Can't wait to give it a try!

Regarding step 5, should Hydro be used to coat the whole car or only used to remove Epic?
    more than happy to answer newbie questions

you can apply waxes over the top of the paint protection though there's no specific need to other than of you're after a specific look (eg the super wet look). You shouldn't wax prior to the Epic being applied though as the Epic won't bond well to waxed surfaces. The Epic should go on pretty much straight after the Amigo.

You can wash the applicator and cloths afterwards, though don't machine wash. Rinse out in warm water. Try to avoid using harsh soaps on the cloths as it can damage the microfibre.

Re Hydro for the purposes of removing the Epic, you should only really need to use it for areas that you may have been a little heavy handed with applying the Epic. If you're sparing with your application of Epic (which you only need a fairly thin layer of), it should polish off easily without needing to use any Hydro.

The Hydro certainly won't hurt the paint protection. In fact it should be used once a fortnight or so after washing the car in order to help preserve the paint protection, but if you're finding you're having to spray large sections of the car in order to shift the Epic, you've probably layered it on too thick (which isn't so much of an issue in itself other than you've used more Epic and in turn more Hydro than you really need to )

Bottom line, it's a pretty simple process and can be done by anyone with even a basic knowledge of car care. If you've ever polished your car, then you shouldn't have too many dramas

Dan

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 16-09-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    I learned something tonight, thanks Dan
    Awesome Brad

10. Default

Thanks Dan! Too helpful!

11. Default

Quick questions Zas, I noticed there are two types of Prima Hydro products on your site, the Hydro seal and Hydro spray. What are their differences and which one is this guide referring to? Are the Prima products in the Prima paint protection kit listed the 473ml versions? Lastly, how should Hydro be applied? There doesn't seem to be anything else supplied in the kit for this. Is there a need to wipe of residues for Hydro? I'm looking to make my order over the next few weeks once my new car comes in.
    Last edited by derkaiser94; 20-10-2011 at 03:21 AM.

Quick questions Zas, I noticed there are two types of Prima Hydro products on your site, the Hydro seal and Hydro spray. What are their differences and which one is this guide referring to? Are the Prima products in the Prima paint protection kit listed the 473ml versions? Lastly, how should Hydro be applied? There doesn't seem to be anything else supplied in the kit for this. Is there a need to wipe of residues for Hydro? I'm looking to make my order over the next few weeks once my new car comes in.
    I can (try to) answer some of these questions until Joel (ZAS) comes along

The guide refers to Prima Spray, which is supplied as part of the paint protection kit. The Epic, Amigo, and Hydro spray are 473ml bottles.

Re the differences between the Hydro Seal product and the Hydro Spray, my understanding is that the Seal is a full sealant product, like the Epic, supplied in the kit. So Hydro Seal vs Epic is probably a fairer comparison, than Hydro Seal vs Hydro Spray (again my understanding).

From an application point of view, both are 'wipe on' type products. Epic is easier and more forgiving, and probably a better place to start, hence why it's probably in the kit instead of Hydro Seal (speculating here).

Here's a vid on the application of Hydro Seal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGNSE...e_gdata_player

Epic, by contrast is left on the surface as a haze to cure and then buffed off with a microfiber towel. It takes longer, but is less fussy than Hydro Seal in how much you apply to get best results.

In terms of longevity, and Joel can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the Hydro Seal lasts slightly longer than the Epic, but how long either lasts is dependent on how the car is cared for after application (eg how the car is stored, how it's washed etc).

The Hydro Spray, in the context of paint protection, is a wax-based 'booster' product meant to top up pre-existing sealant. Good to use once a month or so after washing. It's a spray on wipe off product and is effectively a quick detailer that includes some protectant properties to provide some short-term protection. You effectively just spray it on and wipe off straight away with the microfiber towel provided in the kit.

If you haven't found it in his site already, Joel has quite an informative detailing library set up also

http://www.zas.com.au/detailing_library.php

Well worth a read.

Here's the section on paint protection/sealants also

http://www.zas.com.au/tutorial/6/Paint_Protection.html

Hope this helps

Dan

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 20-10-2011 at 08:13 AM.

This is proof enough, Dan and Joel are the same people, clones perhaps

^

If I had half of Joel's knowledge and experience I'd be a very lucky person

This is just my understanding. I've not used Hydro Seal before. Only parroting what I've seen and read about it from others' experiences

The paint protection kit though I've had a reasonable amount of experience with, having used it on my car and also several others whom I've done work for

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 20-10-2011 at 11:34 AM.

15. Default

Thanks Dan. Very helpful! As the kit only supplies 2 cloths, and one will be used to buff off Epic, does that mean Amigo will be applied using the pre-wax Applicator in a similar way to Hydro without a need to wipe off?

Thanks Dan. Very helpful! As the kit only supplies 2 cloths, and one will be used to buff off Epic, does that mean Amigo will be applied using the pre-wax Applicator in a similar way to Hydro without a need to wipe off?
    Hi Mate,

The method I use is to use the microfiber applicator for the Amigo glaze (the white microfiber pad supplied), then buff off with a blue microfiber towel. For the Epic, I use the yellow circular foam pad to apply, and the other blue microfiber towel to buff off

Amigo is the glaze/polish, so that goes on first (treat it like any other polish, so apply it, let it dry on the surface to a haze for a few min, then buff off). Work one panel at a time.

Epic is the sealant, so apply that to the entire car over the freshly buffed Amigo polished surface (be sparing with it) leave it to cure on the paint for a min of 8 hrs. Then apply a second layer of Amigo directly over the top of the first (no need to buff off the first layer), the wait another 8 hours or so. Then buff the lot off to show a nice shiny surface. Don't worry if you get Epic on the exterior trim or glass, it's quite friendly towards that. I pretty much use it everywhere on the car except the tyres (inc glass, trim, lights, wheels etc)

When you're buffing off the Epic, it helps to have the Hydro spray handy to help loosen the Epic on the surface while you're buffing off. One or two trigger squeezes per panel as you're going along should be all that's needed, and only if you find areas that the Epic isn't easily buffing off. Ie where you might have been a bit heavy handed with applying the Epic. If you've been light handed with applying the Epic, you shouldn't need much Hydro spay at all.

My recommendation would be to always have one or two extra microfiber cloths on hand regardless. I treat these as more or less a consumable, usually rinsing them out and air-drying them to reuse once or twice before chucking them and going to a new one.

http://www.zas.com.au/product/40/zas...bre_towel.html

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 21-10-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Everything Dan has said is correct. The only thing I can say is maybe a summary of how the kit works

1. Polish - you polish with Amigo to prep the surface. Wipe it on with the white applicator, buff off residue with the green cloth. Some people also like to use a yellow foam applicator for Amigo. Your choice.
    2. Apply Epic - nice and thin with the yellow applicator to the entire car. You can leave this for hours. Longer the better to ensure it is completely dry. No less than say 45 minutes.
    3. Buff off the Epic - if you applied it nice and thin, the residue will fall off with a light wipe. Don't rub stubborn residue hard to try and remove it. This will just mark the paint. Grab the Hydro and give it a couple of sprays and this thicker residue will be easier to remove.

I like to use the Hydro while removing the Epic anyway. Remove the initial part of the Epic residue, spray with Hydro, wipe the rest clean. Repeat each panel. You can use the one towel for this so there is no need for a third towel. By the time you come back and apply Hydro again you would have washed the microfibre. It is always handy to have extra on hand though just in case the microfibre you have gets saturated with residue.

Thanks Joel

I forgot you get the green cloths in the kit too. I have cloths everywhere in the garage

When I buff off the Amigo, I use the short-pile side of the blue cloth initially, and then flip to the long-pile side for finishing

More or less the same result though

Exactly. That is why those type of cloths are short and long piles on different sides. So they are more of a "multi-purpose" cloth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12