User Tag List

Thread: Need advice on mods for my MPS 6 Intake BOV and Exhaust

Default Need advice on mods for my MPS 6 Intake BOV and Exhaust

Hi,

I recently purchased an 05 MPS 6 . I am very happy with it so far but i am in desperate need for a more turbo sounding car and any extra power i can acheive along the way without having to get a second job.

im a noob so as much advice as possible would be appreciated.

Firstly,

Intake:

I see that people use either a CAI or SRI which is better?

I'm certainly no proffesional but i would assume CAI is much better.

Which is better and what is the best brand to buy and where is the best place to source it from?

Secondly

Blow off Valve:

I would really like to fit a blow off valve but i have concerns as alot of my friends have had issues with other turbo cars not running right after installing a BOV.

I know that Turbosmart made a model specific BOV however im not a big fan of the sound these BOV's produce.

Is there any other BOV's which can be fitted to the MPS that will work correctly.

Once again again what brand is reccomended and where is the best place to get it from.

Finally,

Exhaust:

I have read all over the place that the MPS 6 exhaust is extremely restrictive. I am keen to change the exhaust however i cannot stand a loud car that gives you a headache on the motorway.

Is it possible to get a complete exhaust system that will improve performance and sound when giving it a boot but will not be annoying and loud when cruising.

I was also considering just keepingh the majority of the stock exhaust and replacing the dump pipe.

Is this something that people do and how well will it work?

once again if you could provide information on where the best place to have this sort of work done.

I live in western sydney.

Thanks

Hi Rob, get in touch with MRT {Middleton Racing Team} They are situated in Rhodes and give you all the advice you need. They are very proffesional in what they do and their telephone No. is 9767 4545. Email address-- www.MRTPerformance.com.au
    Good luck.

Hi Rob, and welcome.

Anything that replaces the stock airbox with a pod filter is going to sound great and you'll be able to hear the turbo spool up. IMO i prefer CAI as i dont like the idea of sucking hot air into my engine. Thats why i have a CP-E CAI which i purchased from MPS garage (www.mpsgarage.com.au). Its probably a bit harder to install then a SRI but its still easy. However i had to cut away part of the mounting plate to get it to fit. The main downside to CAI is water. I managed to suck up water from a puddle no more then 8" deep. Since then I have installed a sheet of rubber on the inside of the wheel arch and haven't had an issue since. But if you live somewhere that gets a lot of rain / flooding then i would go for the SRI.

I run a GFB hybrid BOV on my car in full recirculation mode with no issues. It has the option to run in 50:50 (half vent / half recirc) which also worked fine with the occasional pop from the exhaust. Rogwick (who i'm sure will comment shortly) has the Turbosmart Hybrid which is basically the same design as the GFB but a touch bigger. I think they both sound great even when running in full recirculation mode.

The biggest restriction in the standard exhaust is the downpipe. I have replaced mine with the CP-E downpipe with hiflow cat from MPSgarage. This should give you a decent HP gain and will bolt up to your stock catback system. I have also replaced the rest of my exhaust with a 3" system with 1 resonator that splits into 2x s/steel cannon muflers. I find this to be loud when i want it but not annoying when i dont. once again Rogwick has a similar setup but with an extra resonator which helps keep the noise down.

If you want to check out Rogwick's MPS just click the link below
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/members-rides/6440-rr-rogwicks-ride-mps6-mods-tips-ideas.html

Hope all that helps in some way
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 11-07-2010 at 10:17 AM.

ROB, Hi. Have a look at my signature. I use a CP_e Down pipe (DP) bolted straight to the stock exhaust. Eliminates the restrictive OEM DP. It works well. Cheapest HP you can get, gives a decent power gain, your engine will dissipate its heat better. Exhaust note is nice and purposeful, but not radical and not a cop-magnet.

I don't give CAI's a lot of credit as many people here know. I'd be hard pressed to discern a major difference on air coolness between that and an SRI that was going to be relevant. I had an SRI but that went when I fitted the CS_FMIC which comes with a real cold air ram effect through the existing bonnet scoops. CAI's are just a pain in my view. Lots of plumbing to little real advantage in day to day use. People stress over water ingestion, half the time the plumbing vibrates and cracks at the mounts, or they rattle against the tight space the pipework passes through to the old resonator void. And to my mind they are too low and are exposed to way more dust, and the pod filter is a bastard to service in its location. The SRI fits in minutes and you can see it, service it easily, and it produces a not displeasing sound. Many here will disagree with me, but I maintain my position.

Next restriction to eliminate is the convoluted stock turbo inlet. Some SRI or CAI and FMIC kits come with a new inlet pipe with all the necessary nipples on it for vacuum and BOV bypass. Otherwise just buy one as a separate item.

The Turbosmart in my view BOV is the best you will buy. Well made and versatile as it enable 100% Bypass, 50:50 and 100% VTA, is fully adjustable, and the base mount swivels so you can get it into tight spots or point the cone in the direction you want to get sound out and/or keep dust from getting into the piston assembly. I'm not sure what sound you want. More often than not, the sound is a function of the air volume being discharged and whether it is VTA or partial.

Stay away from 100% VTA unless you have a Standback to reprogram your fuel, or you will run rich mixtures, so you will get backfires, wash your cylinder walls with raw fuel, soot up your cat and potentially damage your exhaust with repeated backkfires.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

I think Toddy and Doug have pretty much answered but I'll swing a post your way when I get time possibly later. As Toddy mentioned, in the meantime if you wish check out the link or alternatively RR below on my sig for some detailed info. Still a work in progress but that should give you some images to give you an idea. MPS garage is where Toddy and I got most of our stuff. Check to see if the online 'special' is still available.

6. Default

Hi Rob,

Like the boys have been saying the Down Pipe is by far your biggest power gainer.
    Then your next step would be Turbo inlet pipe & a intake.
    CP-e products for your MPS are all in stock at the moment & we are now able to install all products at our workshop.
    If there are any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Hi Rob. You're quite right that the stock intake is wrong because it dulls the experience of the car too much. But it's quite easy to fix. Installing a basic SRI will give a nice inlet sound, it will let you hear the turbo spool and also the whoosh of the BPV, without being over the top like some aftermarket BOVs. Just don't expect any power gains because on its own, a SRI/CAI will improve throttle response, but not HP. However you do need an intake to get the most gain from other mods that you may do later.

If you're not wanting to spend a lot of money I'd suggest that you give an aftermarket BOV a miss. The stock BPV is perfectly adequate. You wont gain any power from an aftermarket BOV and if anyone tries to convince you the stock one leaks, ask them to do a static pressure test and prove it. It wont happen. My stock plastic BPV has done over 100,000 km, it was recently pressure tested and doesn't leak. The money you save can be put to good use on the exhaust where you'll get some real gains.

There are two restrictions in the exhaust: the DP and the T-piece. The DP is already mentioned above, but my point is that there is little to gain from replacing the stock mufflers, they are not nearly as restrictive as some would have you think. What 6MPS owners really need apart from a DP is a well-designed after market mid-pipe that replaces the restrictive T-piece but there's no such product so custom made is the only option.

Gone to Volvo

best mufflers is doing the MPS6 downpipes now..

get him to make you one.. they are the best thing since sliced bread IMO

Doc

9. Default

If you're not wanting to spend a lot of money I'd suggest that you give an aftermarket BOV a miss. The stock BPV is perfectly adequate. You wont gain any power from an aftermarket BOV and if anyone tries to convince you the stock one leaks, ask them to do a static pressure test and prove it. It wont happen. My stock plastic BPV has done over 100,000 km, it was recently pressure tested and doesn't leak. The money you save can be put to good use on the exhaust where you'll get some real gains.

We have done the tests & we can prove it.
    A standard BPV & a forge BPV both leaked above 15.8 PSI. This is also backed up by Tech's at Mazdaspeed (USA) & Mazda (Aust).
    These BPV have been designed to chadder the piston, has a safety from over boost. If you were wanting to run or MPS above its rate boost level then Yes a BOV / BPV will be required.
    Turbosmart or HKS would be a good choice, both can be RTA or RTI.

There are two restrictions in the exhaust: the DP and the T-piece. The DP is already mentioned above, but my point is that there is little to gain from replacing the stock mufflers, they are not nearly as restrictive as some would have you think. What 6MPS owners really need apart from a DP is a well-designed after market mid-pipe that replaces the restrictive T-piece but there's no such product so custom made is the only option.[/QUOTE]

Its in testing on & due to be released in October.

Thanks,

Ive tried calling the number on your website the past few days but theres been no answer. admittedly i did not leave any messages. Can you give me a call on 0425 315 929, i want to get a BOV and CAI from you.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Thanks for all the info guys... very helpful

11. Default

Due to a lack of staff I can't always get to the phone, so please leave a message & I will return your call with in 48 Hours.

I know if you just order what you want online from them they are very fast to get it out to you!
    All my stuff has arrived in 2 days from order being placed.