User Tag List

Thread: Smoke on wide open throttle

Default Smoke on wide open throttle

Ever since I got the tune from Chiptorque (not sure if it is related) I have noticed when I floor it I see a cloud of smoke behind me.

I have read a few things on the forum about smoke and it seems the following:

1) Black smoke is ok as it is over fueling (unlikely as it has only just been tuned)
    2) White smoke is bad as it indicates a turbo seal problem

Is this correct?

I will probably need a friend to watch to see the colour of the smoke but is there anything else I should check?
    Red '05 6MPS.

Floor it alot, watch for the colour,

Check the colour safely.

Watch the oil level, if it drops, it could be turbo related.

If it is fuel, you'll seem to be filling it alot more.

Black smoke is a good thing running like a dream,not that I like it because people think I have a problem , always had it from new because mine was all tuned before I took delivery of the car.... Like 2XS said have some one follow you and floor it..... I'd say it's the new tune you got

Haven't you heard the saying "eat my dust" that's the dust!! Lol

Really though. It's prob just running rich. They do it from the showroom if you have ever had someone behind you at night and seen the smoke in the review.

If you had a dh you could log the af ratio. You should be sweet

Easier to check at night when there's someone behind you with headlights on! I've noticed a little more smoke since I put the stock airbox back on, with the CP-e CAI maybe was running a little lean anyway Normal DISI motor richness

I like Justin's response!

I occasionally have black smoke out the back of mine when I hammer the throttle, usually 4-4,500RPM. From my understanding, and don't quote me on this, its a carbon build-up or soot, if you like from any combustion engine. The build-up is most likely to sit in the exhaust and you'll find it on the outlet pipe if you were to swipe your finger inside, same thing. Punching the throttle cleans out this build up, that's why I believe it not good to granny a car, no more than 3,000RPm for 20 years.

If it was white smoke (not necessarily coming out the exhaust) then it may be turbo seal related. Let the car idle for a while a few times over the next few weekends and see if you can cause white smoke to occur either out the exhaust or near the turbo.

If it's blue smoke then you do have a problem. I would say that at some point the engine has overheated or been subjected to high heat and oil is being leaked and burnt off, hence the blue cloud. I think it's unlikely you have a blue smoke problem with the MPS engine, especially being a newish type car. Or maybe you're car is a two-stoke!!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I will try to get someone to watch as I just did some hi rpm driving during the day and could only just notice a little smoke.

I was noticing it at night as I destroyed some falconadores, and looked in the rear view window to see thier faces. Couldn't see the faces for the smoke.

I don't remember seeing this before the tune but I know from the graphs that it isn't running as rich as stock (hense the power increase).

its just running rich..

if you has oil seal issues you would be making a smoke show at idle..

stress less and enjoy your car

Doc

9. Default

Check your AFR's
    If your car pouring out that much smoke you couldn't see the car behind you, your pocket will dry up very quickly with the price of fuel & spark plugs.

[QUOTE=rogwick;118428] I like Justin's response!

I occasionally have black smoke out the back of mine when I hammer the throttle, usually 4-4,500RPM. From my understanding, and don't quote me on this, its a carbon build-up or soot, if you like from any combustion engine. The build-up is most likely to sit in the exhaust and you'll find it on the outlet pipe if you were to swipe your finger inside, same thing. Punching the throttle cleans out this build up, that's why I believe it not good to granny a car [QUOTE]

i get this also ..notice more at night with headlights behind

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll just relax and keep an eye on the oil.