User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Serious Hot Hatch Contender.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    I'm not saying the MPS is the better car. Far from it. I'm saying that the golf r is better, but for an extra $10,000+ it would want to be![COLOR="Silver"]

The MPS6 was like $10,000 more expensive than the MPS3 back then, was the MPS6 better?
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

2. Default

umm its a totally different type of car targetted at a different market they just happen to have the same engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    The MPS6 was like $10,000 more expensive than the MPS3 back then, was the MPS6 better?
    Yes.
    Have 1 of each at home, so think I can say that with an educated opinion.
    Yes the 6 is better than the 3.

But like mel says, they are 2 totally different cars for different purposes.

More like in your personal opinion the 6 is better than the 3.

That would also explain why you drive a 3 instead of a 6....

....and why mazda killed the 6 instead of the 3.

Hmmm love when all makes sense.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    umm its a totally different type of car targetted at a different market they just happen to have the same engine.
    I agree with that.

Back to the Golf R, I believe they target the same market as the MPS3 which is why Im sure a lot of people has both cars in their list when they look to buy a new car of the likes of the MPS and Golf R.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

2 simple questions, 1 of which proves my point.
    I drive a 3 because I couldn't afford a 6 (my point)
    And Mazda has stuck with the 3 over the 6 because of sales

i mean really the evolution, WRX STI, and GOLF R really Compete together

however people also look at the mps 3 when looking at these cars so in a round about way they are competitors.

the only thing that the Golf R has with those compititors is the more comfort orientated interior and suspension

ok, this is my opinion...
    if you think of the WRX -> STI, the lancer ralliat -> evo, holden -> HSV, ford -> FPV
    the GTI -> R is not quite the same, a bit like how the 3MPS -> 6MPS is not quite the same...

to my mind, the golf R is more of a "grown up" version of the evo/STI, it loses out on some of the seriously tricky electronics etc, but far and away better in terms of interior/build quality
    the 6MPS or 3MPS vs golf R, neither really fits in my opinion....
    6MPS vs R36 passat, sure!
    3MPS vs golf GTI, sure!
    but, i dont think there is anything in the mazda line up that can really be worth talking about in comparison to the golf R
    the mechanics of the car are so different to anything else mazda has... (or even compared to the GTI)
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Mazda needs a 3 MPS-R.
    It's got my vote.
    Troy, better start making some parts for it... lol

For me personally, I prefer the Mazda over any of the aforementioned cars. I never liked front wheel drive cars until I drove my MPS3. I've driven Evo's and WREX's, and I'd prefer the jekyl hyde nature of the Mazda. Persoanlly, I'm more than happy with my purchase, and always will be.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

They made one, MPS Extreme, wish it was released.

Totally agree

There are 2 things here that I see that can be used do define competition.
    Demographic, and market.

Demographically, yes they can be competitors, they are built to target the same type of person.
    But marketly, they are 2 different cars.
    1 is to appeal to the $40,000 hot hatch market, the other to the $60,000 market.
    Yes, the $60,000 market people could be tempted to buy from the lower market, but there is no way the $40,000 market people are going to magically discover $20,000 to buy the next model up.

Money is the number 1 deciding factor when buying a car. And generally people buy the best they can afford, and if that's $40,000 then the gti golf is competition, not the golf r

Going back to the topic of, "Serious Hot Hatch Contender"

It doesn't really matter what configuration of driving wheels, engine size or what cost is at play here. What should really matter is, is the car in question a serious hot hatch and does it fit your criteria for ownership! So far I would have to say that all the cars mentioned fit the "Hot Hatch" criteria, but really only one will be the right one for you. However there have been some omissions here, that shouldn't be overlooked (and are or will be avail in Aust soon), anyway some additional food for thought...

Renaultsport Clio Cup (I'd get one if I didn't have a family or have to use it for work!)

Renaultsport Megane RS250

Imprezza STI (I know, but it fits the criteria)

Alfa Guilietta GTA (Maybe for Aus)

Top Gear UK - Hot hatch test (Read the mag and was quite interesting)

The Stig v hot hatches - BBC Top Gear
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

12. Default

The Alfa is sexy

Quote Originally Posted by BradstaMS View Post
    The extreme wasn't extreme enough for me.
    I'm thinking 19 inch wheels, 310hp, multi-piston Brembo's, AWD, a car that could compete with previously mentioned $60,000+ vehicles.
    And maybe even be a rally car too...
    The Mazdaspeed/MPS R4... maybe
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

top gear always leaves out the MPS in their hot hatch reviews...

15. Default

went down the other day to vw burwood finally saw the R in the flesh, at first I thought 60k for this? it is very understated with just the wheels and dual exhaust imo screaming attention over a gti, the interior is just beautiful but its very much a cousin to the s3. The dealer was stressing that "I better be quick" as they had already "pre sold" most of there allocated stock. Might be interesting to see if the vw clan ditch there v6 r32's over this one, just feels a bit of a less engaging driver experience over the R32 and going for tick all the boxes (power, fuel economy,0-60 best time) sometimes its not all numbers just weather it puts a smile on your face over and over again, and that's just going to do a milk run ...my 2 cents

mmmm White with black 19" wheels that sounds like pure sex !

Quote Originally Posted by BradstaMS View Post
    Brad you need to read the road test on the mps extreme in Tarmac Magazine , the motoring media canned the one & only prototype it was apparently a pig to drive & was actually slower than the MPS ( see times in back page of any Tarmac Mag ) having said that there are probably far better EXTREME MPS'S in the OZMPSClub with the after market mod's that are now available . One of the biggest mistakes was to fit 19" wheels with ultra low profile tyres which magnifided torque steer & made the car tramline excesively making it almost impossable to drive . I,m possitive our mps club collectively could come up with the ultimate MPS 3 EXTREME . Now there's an idea a OZMPSClub progect car !!!!!!!

Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Given the rapid value decay in almost any new car bought, it makes keeping your MPS6 and tweaking it to produce a sub-6 second, pretty, four-door, five seat Q-ship bloody attractive. You can do a lot of tweaks for ~$60K, which will cost more like $75-100K depending on finance and amortization issues forgetting, of course, that it is all after-tax dollars too, so add another 30% or so...

My tweaks have cost around $6K and I'm almost done and happy with the results, even though I haven't dressed the car up externally at all. I might add some minor embellishments when done with the mechanicals, adding a second BOV to deal with low level compressor stall on the pressure side of the FMIC and some electronics I'm installing. I don't want to mess with the current ride which is a good compromise, so I'm not putting in coil-overs, though I might put in suspension tower stiffening struts. And I might put in a short shifter if I can find a good one that works and doesn't mess up the present shift which I don't mind, and upgrade the lights.

I doubt I'll spend $10K total. I don't want wide wheel and rolled guards. I'm delighted with the tyres it has now and you'd have to drive like a madman or hit black ice to lose this car on a corner. I'm not driving on race tracks; I do long distance touring and the handling is far and way more than adequate for that. I don't want to draw attention to the car at all. No spoilers, flares, arches, black-outs, custom plates or look-at-me glitz.

Q-ships rool!!
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 26-07-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123