User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious Hot Hatch Contender.

Default Serious Hot Hatch Contender.

Drove the Golf R today , very nice! RRP with DSG $57800.00 approx.

For.
    White Paint ,Black 19in wheels,Great seats hold u very well, Great steering wheel less clutter.
    Launch control at 3000 rpm. The car is very inconspicuous .and with all wheel motion control.
    Big Brakes .
    0 to 100 5.7 sec. woo woo.

Against. PRICE.and Price of extras,
    Overall a very tidy little rocket IMO.

I'm sure chris will agree

Yeah I think it looks like a great little power house of a car...

Gotta say, love the shape of the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by PerthMPS View Post
    I'm sure chris will agree
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with Oldhead, discounts are there for the asking too, just need to find the right dealer
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

How'd it compare to the MPS driving dynamics; is it jut an AWD GTi or a real racer?
    I love the GTi, particularly the quality build and nice interior, but can't go past the MPS'.....well, quite frankly......zoom zoom.

If they have managed to combine quality and comfort with agility and power, then id rather like one of these little beauties

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    How'd it compare to the MPS driving dynamics; is it jut an AWD GTi or a real racer?
    I love the GTi, particularly the quality build and nice interior, but can't go past the MPS'.....well, quite frankly......zoom zoom.

If they have managed to combine quality and comfort with agility and power, then id rather like one of these little beauties
    Its figures pretty much match the MPS so I think is a no brainer, I think that would be my next ride once the lease on my MPS is over, would be keeping my Gen I MPS though
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

It's basically an Audi S3 in golf clothing. I rate it.

Sh..t yer it goes great,drives well ,no lag.( R ) is for racer ,but i would like to see it have some road time as being a new release and with a 2 litre turbo engine pushing 188kw and 330 torque ?????.
    Add extras,and on road costs and this little shit is gunna be needing deep pockets.

Cant justify the dollars even with a discount ,which i feel will be hard to get from dealers with this rocket. Imagine spending 8 to 10k on mods for the MPS (engine and suspension only) holy sh.t
    Last edited by Oldhead; 10-07-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Nice. When I bought my MPS, it was a decision between an 03 R32 golf (old shape) and the 07 mazda. The kicker was the golf had 150,000kms. So I opted for the newer car.

Thats funny, considering the two cars I was initialy tossing up over were an imported skyline 350GT and a gen 1 MPS. Didn't realise they were so mutualy exclusive. lol
    And yeah, I think Oldhead's right, an MPS with some mods would end up much better on the track.
    Also, checking on carsales.com, the cheapest DSG R was a factory demo at $65,000, the next a similar demo at $75,000. I paid about 43,000 for my demo MPS LUX. so thats 20-30 grand more than. $30,000 worth of mods on the MPS and it could prety much fly!
    Last edited by Lachlan; 10-07-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Ita hard to compare these two. They are in different leagues! Yes the mps is amazing, for it's price - though the R is in a different catergory.

Its hard to categorise the Golf R, sure the GTi is a hot hatch, but the Golf R is more of a super hot hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Thats funny, considering the two cars I was initialy tossing up over were an imported skyline 350GT and a gen 1 MPS. Didn't realise they were so mutualy exclusive. lol
    And yeah, I think Oldhead's right, an MPS with some mods would end up much better on the track.
    Also, checking on carsales.com, the cheapest DSG R was a factory demo at $65,000, the next a similar demo at $75,000. I paid about 43,000 for my demo MPS LUX. so thats 20-30 grand more than. $30,000 worth of mods on the MPS and it could prety much fly!
    The Golf R would eat an MPS on the track, Qtr or Circuit.
    Alcohol - Some Of The Best Times, You Will Never Remember

Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    Totally different price range.
    Compare an MPS with a GTI not the R,
    At 20k over an mps it would want to eat it.
    I doubt the Golf R would eat an MPS with 20 grand spent on it. Then its a level playing field.
    If i had $60k. id go an STI. But im not a VW fan.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    Totally different price range.
    Compare an MPS with a GTI not the R,
    At 20k over an mps it would want to eat it.
    I doubt the Golf R would eat an MPS with 20 grand spent on it. Then its a level playing field.
    If i had $60k. id go an STI. But im not a VW fan.....
    Comparing Drive away to Drive Away - MPS - 45K / R - 54 so i dont know where 20K comes into things. Sure if you want to option it out then the price goes up quickly. At least they have decent options unlike mazda.

To beat the golf around a track, you would have to spend most of that 10K on Suspension. No point adding more power when it will just understeer anyway.

My choice would be the Golf R without a doubt

Comparing Drive away to Drive Away - MPS - 45K / R - 54 so i dont know where 20K comes into things. Sure if you want to option it out then the price goes up quickly. At least they have decent options unlike mazda.

To beat the golf around a track, you would have to spend most of that 10K on Suspension. No point adding more power when it will just understeer anyway.

My choice would be the Golf R without a doubt

Think I agree.
    Looking at the interior, its much nicer: you could actually live with it alot longer and resale value would probably be much better than the MPS (with its new red-dotted seats).
    Plus, the R can go allot further than the MPS tuning-wise (so long as you have any money left over after purchase). The AWD means you could get ALLOT more grunt out of the engine without just getting wheelspin like ours.

P.S. I got the prices by looking up Carsales.com THat's for the DSG version (its the only one I would buy) so its much more espensive.

Stock for stock no doubt!!!!

Modded for modded no doubt too!!!

lol

Golf R approx $58K.
    My MPS $39K.
    BIG difference.
    Like i said.... compare it to the GTI not the R.

19. Default

meh give me the Audi S3 without the Golf tartan middle age man vest thanks

Yeh thats so so important as Im sure most of us spend 95% of our driving time on the track
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    Golf R approx $58K.
    My MPS $39K.
    BIG difference.
    Like i said.... compare it to the GTI not the R.
    You also forget to mention that 39K is with discount on a model (Pov Pack?) that has been out for nearly a year. The Golf R has barely been released and has a long lead time for delivery. The difference is about 10K once discounts come into effect.

For me, the 10K is worth it completely but others, it may not be.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    meh give me the Audi S3 without the Golf tartan middle age man vest thanks

Yeh thats so so important as Im sure most of us spend 95% of our driving time on the track
    Now you do. Stealth Track Bomber

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast