User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious Hot Hatch Contender.

People have had the Pov pack for $37000.
    If you like the golf..... Go for it by all means.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    meh give me the Audi S3 without the Golf tartan middle age man vest thanks

The Golf R would eat an MPS on the track, Qtr or Circuit or street.

Yeh thats so so important as Im sure most of us spend 95% of our driving time on the track
    *fixed!

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    My MPS $39K.
    Your was pretty cheap because it suffers of CEL syndrome
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    Comparing Drive away to Drive Away - MPS - 45K / R - 54 so i dont know where 20K comes into things. Sure if you want to option it out then the price goes up quickly. At least they have decent options unlike mazda.

To beat the golf around a track, you would have to spend most of that 10K on Suspension. No point adding more power when it will just understeer anyway.

My choice would be the Golf R without a doubt
    i started driving rwd cars (drifting). have learnt fwd, awd. if u throw a fwd into a corner of cuz it will understeer! u have to adapt ur driving hold the apex tight feeding on the power slowly in fwd it wont understeer as bad. awd throw it in let the awd system sort it out! i would rather drive my mps 3 around a track than any awd car i find fwd more exciting. to know u cant rely on the car to stay on the track u have to be good with the throttle/gears same as rwd........ fwd or rwd for me

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

yes i have a project car i will be working on.. one of my friends has a rx7 1982 350 rwhp. thats for real sideways action.. lol.... off topic i know lol
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post

Your was pretty cheap because it suffers of CEL syndrome
    Damn! I saw that one coming. That or it leaks oil!

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    i started driving rwd cars (drifting). have learnt fwd, awd. if u throw a fwd into a corner of cuz it will understeer! u have to adapt ur driving hold the apex tight feeding on the power slowly in fwd it wont understeer as bad. awd throw it in let the awd system sort it out! i would rather drive my mps 3 around a track than any awd car i find fwd more exciting. to know u cant rely on the car to stay on the track u have to be good with the throttle/gears same as rwd........ fwd or rwd for me

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

yes i have a project car i will be working on.. one of my friends has a rx7 1982 350 rwhp. thats for real sideways action.. lol.... off topic i know lol
    Not really off topic you could say the RX-7 has a hatch

You need to start a separate thread on this and share this wonderful story (gotta love car p*rn especially of the Rotary variety!)

Golf R approx $58K.
    My MPS $39K.
    BIG difference.
    Like i said.... compare it to the GTI not the R.
    For me it was comparing the R to the MPS6 similar price, and whilst the R is a hatch it still seats 5 like my MPS and has 4 doors and has AWD and similar power and feels just as good driving it and sitting in it etc etc etc

I've mentioned this in other posts, but the MPS 3 still represents the best value in the market and definitely has the "Best Bang for your Buck"
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

These cars can't be compared. They are built for different markets. If the MPS came with AWD & DSG then it would be approaching a level playing field.

VW/Audi have AWD turbo technology in their blood. That's what your paying for.

I'm just grateful a Japanese engineer decided to put a 190kw engine in a FWD car...called the MPS!!!!!!!!!

Oh. It's a wicked car by the way. I love the understated style.

P.S. If anyone needs a sympathetic dealer, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Not really off topic you could say the RX-7 has a hatch

You need to start a separate thread on this and share this wonderful story (gotta love car p*rn especially of the Rotary variety!)

For me it was comparing the R to the MPS6 similar price, and whilst the R is a hatch it still seats 5 like my MPS and has 4 doors and has AWD and similar power and feels just as good driving it and sitting in it etc etc etc

I've mentioned this in other posts, but the MPS 3 still represents the best value in the market and definitely has the "Best Bang for your Buck"
    Once i start working on it i will upload pics etc. it has a locked diff at the moment so im chasing lsd to start with any one know of a ford 9' lsd diff for sale lol

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

punches above the belt plz lol
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    These cars can't be compared. They are built for different markets. If the MPS came with AWD & DSG then it would be approaching a level playing field.
    The R however is only running a 2 liter engine and it comes with manual gearbox

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Hehehe just messing around dude
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    The R however is only running a 2 liter engine and it comes with manual gearbox [COLOR="Silver"]
    I concede to your tech knowledge Probably should have read up on it first
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

I meant DSG is an option but they do come manual as well...so not to use DSG as reason to say that the R it is in such a different league as the MPS, thats all

i had 2 friends who went on the drive day, both of them said my MPS would eat the GOLF Rs, especially rolling start

i cant really give an opinion as i didnt drive on the day...

Quote Originally Posted by heath_303 View Post
    i had 2 friends who went on the drive day, both of them said my MPS would eat the GOLF Rs, especially rolling start

i cant really give an opinion as i didnt drive on the day...
    That's probably true as the MPS = 380Nm and the Golf R = 330Nm (in Aus spec) off the line and out of corners and the AWD should be quicker

Sounds pricey for a small car, but for that extra price one is getting 4WD and a reasonable rocket, so it's hard to compare directly with the FWD MPS3. That's where the extra $$ come in, mainly.
    One would expect it to be quicker around a circuit, but there mightn't be much in it after seeing the MPS3 at Nurburgring.
    I find Golf's tight little things, recalling the last one I hired in Melbourne. Went well and is quite well finished, with a reasonable ride.
    The MPS3 I'd guess is roomier. I don't know how they compare weight-wise; I'd expect the Golf to have added weight transmission-wise.
    Bear in mind this is pretty much the same price as the old MPS6, for which you also get 4WD and a decent-sized car. And also sub-6 seconds......
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

While I think they are a nice car and I'd happily own one I don't understand why 3 MPS' are even being mentioned in the same sentence.
    They aren't competitors, are will never be. That's the GTi job.

It does however show how good value the 3 MPS is.
    The golf charges $3500 for satnav, $3500 for leather seats, $600 for an electric drivers seat. All standard on a luxury spec MPS
    And as for performance, yes they are much faster to 100km/h. So what I think, nobody in the real world drives flat out from 0-100km/h on a regular basis. 0-100 is the most pointless performance time for the real world, along with 400m times.
    80-120km/h times is important and has practical uses.
    And that's where the mps has it over all it's rivals, and a lot of other more expensive cars. The 3 MPS is (just) quicker

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    While I think they are a nice car and I'd happily own one I don't understand why 3 MPS' are even being mentioned in the same sentence.
    They aren't competitors, are will never be. That's the GTi job.
    However for me the 3 MPS was a competitor to the R, why? Mainly because Mazda had failed to replace the MPS 6 with a new generation model (are you listening Mazda...), so when the time came to replace my MPS 6 I wanted something with a similar feel in the interior, AWD and similar performacne. As I would have liked to have bought another Mazda I test drove the BL MPS 3 (a few times) and this didn't do it for me, yes I liked several aspects but overall it didn't grab me (more so the looks and the interior rather than the perfomance, which is ballistic!) so there was nothing in Mazda's stable that met my criteria!

To summarise - yes I have paid a premium for some of "standard" extras that the BL 3MPS has, however the final cost was not that much more than my 6 MPS and I'm happy with my decision

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Why not?....just because of the AWD in the "R"?

The focus here is performance, not a crappy nav system and poor seats in the new luxury MPS.

Why?
    It's simple, they are separated by at very least $10,000.
    And to most people, that matters.
    When buying a car I think you can only compare cars that are of the same or very similar price. For example it should be MPS vs WRX vs XR5 vs rallyart lancer vs golf gti. Or for the golf r it's vs sti vs evo x.

You can down compare to a MPS if you really want to, but that just proves my point about the MPS being such good value for money

AWD vs FWD has nothing to do with it, even if the mps was awd but still cost $40k, I still wouldn't be comparing them, if they were $55,000 however.....

Why not compare the golf r to a new Porsche turbo?
    Both German quality, AWD, turbo???
    See, price matters

I'm not saying the MPS is the better car. Far from it. I'm saying that the golf r is better, but for an extra $10,000+ it would want to be!

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

If you want a comparison with Mazda it can only be with the non existent 6 MPS.
    And everything said so far proves that Mazda has made a big mistake.
    Look at the amount of people going to other brands in search of a replacement.
    With fuel costs and the environment being of such concern to consumers, the days of big v8 tourers are limited. Efficient fast turbos are becoming the smarter and more choice.
    Mazda may argue that previously the 6 MPS didn't sell aswell as they hoped.
    But times have changed since then
    Last edited by bd581; 15-07-2010 at 08:53 AM.

19. Default

Can or could get a brand new Evo X for $4000 less with the SST gearbox!

20. Default

Well said once again Brad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast