User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What annoys you about your car?

Reversing sensor beep occasionaly has a strange tone or doesn't beep at all.

1. The worst gear box ever. An absolute bucket of bolts and a bit weak for a $55K car to have a crappier gearbox than a 1962 column shift EH Holden. Every MPS I have driven has been the same although the 3's are slightly less unpleasant, presumably due to the lack of a PTO section. I have a brand new gearbox now and it's still a bucket of bolts. Note to Mr Mazda: please, please, please don't ever put triple synchros in a high performance car again.
    2. The high beams are so bad that I don't believe the car should have been certified as safe for Australian roads. Someone needs to tell the headlight man at Mazda that headlights are not merely cosmetic accessories and in some countries people actually turn them on and use them because not every street is lined with street lights.

Lucky we have red instrument displays so that our nigh vision can develop properly because you need to be able to see in the dark when you drive a 6MPS at night. BTW I love the red instrument display so much it's one of the reasons I have kept the car. Shortly after buying our Mitsubishi I pulled the dash apart and changed the instrument lighting to red.

Gone to Volvo

Living with the Gen II mps for a few weeks now, visibility out the back, particularly when reversing is not spectacular due to the smaller rear window. A tradeoff for the styling really.

Turning circle is also nowhere near as good as my 94 Civic was either. A bit of a pain when otherwise U-turns become 3 pointers >=(

I drove the old pacific highway for the first time in the new car today tho, and O My God are all my petty complaints simply blown away as soon as I feel the effortless surge of power accelerating the car up a steep ass hill in 4th gear. I have a new found respect for the complete and utter brilliance of this car's engine after today.

Hey Mal, what headlights have you got in at the moment? I have ultra blue 6000K H1's (think its around 55w though) they are crap as, but evens up the blue-white look. I'm considering 100w H1 halogen which should work much better. Gotta find some time to look, purchase and install.

Fail on my comments about the red illumination! I still think its boring, but it would seem mazda has done well as a few people including yourself have said they like it. Maybe for me the A/C/stereo would have been nice to have a few extra colours. I did the opposite and pulled my dash apart to change them from red. Unfortunately for me, they're all wired into the circuit board. It's not bad, but compared to some cars I've seen a little boring. I changed my Nissan Pulsar lights to orange. Personal pref I guess!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Hey Mal, what headlights have you got in at the moment? I have ultra blue 6000K H1's (think its around 55w though) they are crap as, but evens up the blue-white look. I'm considering 100w H1 halogen which should work much better. Gotta find some time to look, purchase and install.

Fail on my comments about the red illumination! I still think its boring, but it would seem mazda has done well as a few people including yourself have said they like it. Maybe for me the A/C/stereo would have been nice to have a few extra colours. I did the opposite and pulled my dash apart to change them from red. Unfortunately for me, they're all wired into the circuit board. It's not bad, but compared to some cars I've seen a little boring. I changed my Nissan Pulsar lights to orange. Personal pref I guess!
    haha yeah thought I'd get a bite. I've liked a red dash for as long as I can remember. Personal preference of course.

My headlights are stock except for plus50 bulbs in the high beam and the 50w spotties behind the grill but it's still awful to drive at night. The worst part is not being able to see into the bends due to the dreaded dark spot. I've got some Rola roof racks for the MPS going to waste. It only takes a couple of minutes to fit them and I'm seriously thinking about lining up some 100w spotties on one of the roof racks and bolting them on before I go out for my late night runs. Stop laughing. I figure that if I sneak back to my shed before daylight no one will see me so there no risk of embarrassment and it would be so much better to be able see the roo's that are after me before they arrive in the middle of the road.
    Last edited by kmh001; 10-07-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Gone to Volvo

ROG careful of H1 halogens in 100 watt they can melt or discolour your plastic outer lenses. That's why I've been trying to find new HIDs. BTW, your 6000K blue-white lights sound a bit to blue to me, to get good illumination

KMH001, I've driven a million cars and I don't have any issues with the gearbox, I think its pretty sweet. I don't have much problem with a double synchro on 1st and 2nd, as I don't wrap it hard in those gears anyway, emergencies excepted. I tend to let boxes sort themselves out rather than push them through hard. It's not as good as the direct connection my old Alfa 1750 Berlina had (the back axle boxes on later Alfas were awful), but considering the MPS6 has a fairly convoluted linkage to the box, I think it's remarkably good and others who've driven the car like the shift just fine. From your comments, your issues seem to be internal rather than linkage related, or maybe both??. BTW, I drive an Aston Martin from time to time and if you want a (nice but) monumentally heavy box, totally truck-like, way heavier than my old 110 County Landrover, you should try that.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    ROG careful of H1 halogens in 100 watt they can melt or discolour your plastic outer lenses. That's why I've been trying to find new HIDs. BTW, your 6000K blue-white lights sound a bit to blue to me, to get good illumination
    Interesting point! I had 100w H1's in my 2006 Luxury Sport 6 as 'headlights' and didn't seem to have a problem, but the more one thinks about it the more issues come to mind. As far as the lens cap melting, to be honest I wouldn't know, but I would think that driving in itself can provide cooling upon the lens (air flow) keeping in mind I don't do much country driving so my highbeams are most likely for residential use (small children and animals tend to be a slight problem on the roads) The offset of the globe to the glass should also be sufficient?! Another question to be asked is if the wiring is suited to cope with double the wattage (50w to 100w) for a prolonged period of time i.e country driving? The current lights I have in there at the moment look cool, but are a joke for lighting ability! HID's would be hard to fit in the highbeam cause one would have to modify the fit-ment to accommodate the bulb size.

Mal, if I see you driving at night I would definitely have to look twice. "Is that an MPS with roof racks and 4wd-like mounted spotlights?!" Should work good though!

Speaking of gear boxes did you guys see this...

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

highbeams.. dim.. Ive fixed that by fitting +40% narva HB4's

Horn ... fixxed by adding two more horns, and keeping the stock as well.

Difficulty to purchase an intake that doesnt throw your fuel trims further than + or - 5%... So i correctly sleeved one I had laying around to correct diameter. Now I see +1.6 at idle -0.8 at light load and 0.0 at moderate and WOT loads. No AIR STRAIGHTENERS!

Turbo smoke.. getting a ball bearing turbo, and will be running a 0.040" oil restrictor.. that'll fix that.

TMIC heat soak in summer. Fmic sitting on floor in front of me... That'll fix that

Rattles.. silicone spray and a whack here and there fixed that.

Not enough traction.. hold on I like that

Stock exhaust note.. fixed with Best Mufflers downpipe, and Best mufflers custom 3" stainless magnaflow cat back, still very quiet, no drone.. but sounds angry when you get one it.

Fuel pressure drops in the 1-2-3 deg C temperatures. PTP internals ordered... That'll fix that

It gets too dirty.. should wash car more often.

Tire noise... tires replaced with Pirelli Pzero Rossos. Now silent, and grips well.

Mazda service (only seen mazda service once.. thank goodness.. useless ... thats the best word to describe them).. Now I get it serviced at Tune House.. Great bunch there..

So I like my car, and ive fixed most things along the way

Doc
    Last edited by Doc; 11-07-2010 at 03:29 PM.

The 6mps weighs too much, def looking for a lighter car next time around
    Cheers Todd

1. The 'key in' beeping when I'm listening to music in works carpark with the door open.

2. The height of my low beams. I really haven't used my high beams much, so I have no qualms about them.

3. The very feminine horn sound.

4. How dirty my car is currently.

5. The price of tyres.

6. The sometimes missed 3rd gear because it just won't go in under 'spirited' driving.

7. The fact that my car is stock...

(my mps3 has made it into my dreams at night...)
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Umm the height of the low beam is easily adjusted. there is a white dial behind the lights themselves. but bewarned oncoming traffic won't like you anymore lol

As for my car.. Probably the squeaky seat. AND THAT STUPID F&*KIN GEARBOX.

We leave in a world of dual clutch transmissons and Mazda found this heap of shit to give us.

You know what the gearshift reminds me of??? My very first car. 1979 XD Falcon with a 3 speed manual sift on the column. Those linkages to the 'box always got jammed up in themselves, so ya'd have to pull over, get out, open the bonnet, and shake the linkages free from themselves. Was sooooo oldschool... H!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    You know what the gearshift reminds me of??? My very first car. 1979 XD Falcon with a 3 speed manual sift on the column. Those linkages to the 'box always got jammed up in themselves, so ya'd have to pull over, get out, open the bonnet, and shake the linkages free from themselves. Was sooooo oldschool... H!!!
    I remember doing this on my mates XD!

Hey Grajy an improved lower/rear engine mount helps with the 2nd-3rd change issues, CP-e and a few others do them
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

The only thing that comes to mind is the gay stock wheel offset!!!!

The most annoying thing 4 me is the front spoiler/bumper pops out all the time expecially when the car is lowerd but I have now fixed the problem by fitting zues spring loaded fastners to the front bumper .

Col

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    I remember doing this on my mates XD!

Hey Grajy an improved lower/rear engine mount helps with the 2nd-3rd change issues, CP-e and a few others do them
    Thanks for the advice, matey. I'll be doing a rear engine mount soon, just waiting on my tax refund to come in.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    Thanks for the advice, matey. I'll be doing a rear engine mount soon, just waiting on my tax refund to come in.
    hehe, sounds like most people, car mod places must love post-tax time
    downpipe & rear engine mount are top of my list as well, depending on how much i get back (or not...) in that order...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    hehe, sounds like most people, car mod places must love post-tax time
    downpipe & rear engine mount are top of my list as well, depending on how much i get back (or not...) in that order...
    I'll be saving anything and everything I get back as I spent it all before tax time came around! I think of tax time more of a "replenishment" or "nourishment" to my account

M P S

my only real annoyance so far is the driving position. it's quite upright compared to what I'm use to or else my knees jam up against the steering wheel.

Seems the squeaky seat thing is a common problem.

Some weird complaints, but I guess there's no pleasing some....
    - Horn is deeper than most cars on the road, and way better than the tinny peep you get out of most, even such machines as Landcrusiers. The only improvement would be Maserati air-horns, but not really required unless travelling long distance at high speeds on autostradas all the time; fat chance of that in this country.
    - Seating position? Must be some 7-footers here with 6" arms. What are you, Thalidomide babies? How can you not get a Mazda electric seat and fully adjustable height + rake steering to fit you?
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast