User Tag List

Thread: Considering buying a 05 Mazda 6 MPS

Default Considering buying a 05 Mazda 6 MPS

Hi,

Im new to this forum and i am after some advice if possible.

I have recently inspected a 2005 mazda 6 mps which i am considering buying.

i would like to hear from anyone in regard to the longevity of the MPS engine

and if anyone else on here has one with more km's and any issues that they have encountered.

I would also like to know if there is anything in particular that i should be looking out for when inspecting an mps.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Rob; 11-10-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Hi Rob,

I'm not an expert on longevity of engines, however there are a few members whose MPS engines have done over 100,000 kms and display no signs of problems and run very well. duglet - MPS 3 100,000+kms (been in his ride and felt great for the amount of kms) kmh001 - 100,000 +kms and a few others that I can't remember but reported no issues. It would come down to how well they've been maintained as to how good they are, if you're confident the owner the has maintained it then it probably won't be too bad, with anything like this though if you buy something with high kms, have an emergency fund set aside for anything that may break! Out of interest I'll be selling mine soon, will prob have 70,000 kms on it by Oct when I'm ready to sell (is in WA though)
    Cheers
    Chris

Have a look through the Tech Talk threads for things to look out for on the MPS

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-talk/
    Last edited by shakespeare; 08-07-2010 at 02:23 PM.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

I'm an RX-8 owner, and I'd buy an MPS6 if I wanted a great cruiser. They are a nice car and its a tough engine. Just need to look after it

Most importantly, what colour is it?

4. Default

Hi Rob, I probably cant help you very much. Not sure what kind of price the person is asking the MPS6 the only thing I can add is that there are a fw guys on here selling their 6's which you would be guaranteed it has been well looked after. there are people on here who have done over 100,000k in the MPS6 and its is still going nice and strong Im sure they will pop on at some point and give you their impressions.

I just double checked Drive and there are not many for sale in NSW and not many actually Aus wide, where 6 months ago there seemed to be many more. There seem to be a handful in Vic & Qld with lower kms on them and would prob be worth the drive for you to expand your options.

There are threads on here about common problems people have encountered heres link ---> http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...nty-fixes.html

I have had mine for 3 years and 2 months now and love it more and more the longer I have it so you wont be dissapointed at all.

Did you have your heart set on a particular colour ? The 2005 model stereo wont play MP3's not sure if thats a big deal to you but the 06 and 07 model does
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

First of all mate, let me say hello and to ozMPSclub.

Myself, I have an 06 with around 30,000kms on it. I understand where you're at in relation to purchasing a second hand vehicle (particularly with over 100,000kms)

They way I've always seen it kilometers don't mean for much other than a record for how far the vehicle has travelled, and estimate to what the motor has gone through to deliver that vehicle to all the destinations. It comes down to the owner(s) and how the vehicle has been looked after. There is no reason a 100,000kms looked after car can't be better than a new company car that's thrashed around. However there are typical problems/maintenance issues to look for in a vehicle.

Some points of interest that I would advise having a read of are contained in the two threads below, FYI

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...nty-fixes.html

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...rbo-seals.html

It is there where you will find the typical 6 issues. But like I said, it does come down to how the vehicle has been looked after. A bit more in-depth info is listed below again FYI, hope it helps!

If possible - meet the owner...not the girlfriend, not the wife, the owner. You can tell a lot by a person. More often than not you can read them like a book. For eg I bought my car from a middle aged retired parametric. He seemed nice and calm and down to earth to talk to. If the owner is a big dude, smoker, rough as nuts and every second word is f*** and can't string a common sentence together, chances are he hasn't looked after the car very well. Sorry if that offends anyone but that just IMO

Visual Inpection This includes the general appearance of the vehicle in question. How's the paintwork? Are there front, rear, or side scratches. (This includes under the car and evidence to how fast they take speed bumps) also look for missing paint on the edges of the door. It suggests the open their door and hit things. Also look for over spray or freshly sprayed areas - this signifies some sort of repair on the vehicle. A visual inspection can also include belts, pulleys, oil, air filter, wiring (dodgy after market wiring) scratches indicating removal of parts. A common thing is stock cars come with a line of paint marked on the bolts as a quality assurance from the manufacturer. If there is no paint on common bolts (engine mount etc) the car has had some work done on it. Clean engine? Interior wear and tear? Coolant leaks? Rubber boots on the drive shaft broken? Grease/oil spray around the engine and underneath the vehicle? Check the tyre wear, have they done burnouts? Is the outside out the tyres worn suggesting fast driving and intense cornering?

Working order Do the wipers work? Squirters? The A/C work and the compressor is fine, getting cold air? The lighting including headlights, parks, tail lights, interior lights. The speakers have not been hammered and blown? Turn the volume up too. To a lesser extent check all the mirrors are ok. My drivers vanity mirror had been smashed somehow.

Engine and performance Initially start the engine, listen to it idling, feel free to question the seller at this point about mechanical work done, maintenance and anything you feel necessary. Does it idle rough? Can you hear excessive noise from the valves/tappers. Go to the exhaust, listen is it misfiring? It will seem to backfire a little on cold start that is normal. As sarcasticone mentioned give the accelerator a hit in neutral (if the seller does not mind) about 4-5,000RPM is fine. If white OR blue smoke comes out I would be very concerned. If black smoke comes out the exhaust that's actually a good sign. 1 - its normal and 2 they probably haven't given a good thrash in ages cause its all built up in the exhaust!

Take it for a drive After checking it over and you're happy, take the vehicle for a drive. See if the vehicle runs smoothly through the gears. If the seller permits, but your foot down (about 4-4,500 RPM) does it pull well? No noises under acceleration? Turn left to right and left to right, clicking noises? Suspension problems? Take a few driveways and/or speed bumps? Noises? Also, and this depends on how many kilometres (generally) How's the clutch? I usually change gears quickly and see if it bites under quick throttle. Another way is park the car, lift the hand brake and in 3rd gear release the clutch slowly. If the engine starts revving the clutch is slipping and not holding. If the car wants to go (pulling) or even stalls the clutch is engaging and thus, holding. Brakes (including handbrake) speed up and bit and plant the brakes a bit (not need to freak the seller out in the passenger seat and activate ABS!)

"Redbook" - Car Prices - Search Car Prices & Values Online - Red Book the value of the vehicle and see if its reasonable

Apologies this is getting long! If you're still reading, those are a few things I look out for. Another thing is "yes" you are in the right place for questions and the guys on there are very helpful. Be sure to check through the forums and see what guys have to say about typical problems related to the MPS6. Can never hurt getting a mechanic out to have a look if you want. Log books are great but not essential. Some people do actually know how to service a car. Paying a mazda dealer half a grand do stuff up your car just for a stamp in a book that suggests its been looked after is the way I see it. Some mechanics actually screw up your car or don't actually check things.

Hope that novel proves somewhat useful mate

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Congrats Rob. Have a great time in your new car!