User Tag List

Thread: BC Coilovers - Handling and Ride Questions

Default BC Coilovers - Handling and Ride Questions

Looking to get a set of BC Coliovers for my mps6

Was just wondering what spring rating i should be looking for in order to get decent ride quality (not to much worse than stock ride)...would you recommend BC or another brand?

Thanks

The BC's are HARD! the pedders xa unit appears to be the same exact unit with a softer spring. try find someones car to go in with these.

Quote Originally Posted by esp22 View Post
    Looking to get a set of BC Coliovers for my mps6

Was just wondering what spring rating i should be looking for in order to get decent ride quality (not to much worse than stock ride)...would you recommend BC or another brand?

Thanks
    I recommend leaving it standard - any after market springs and shocks have race tracks in mind. Therefore the gain in handling is exactly equivelant to the loss in ride comfort. NEWTONS third law For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by rd415 View Post
    I recommend leaving it standard - any after market springs and shocks have race tracks in mind. Therefore the gain in handling is exactly equivelant to the loss in ride comfort. NEWTONS third law For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    in therory this is correct.. but how this for a myth buster. i own a 07 mazda 3 neo springs very soft! i also own a mazda 3 mps spring rates harder. everyone that has been in both said the mps is a better riding car...... i admit harder springs mean harder ride but if u have better shocks controling them this is lessened. i put mazdaspeed 3 lwering kit in the mps 30% harder, than put konis in. my dad said the ride feels no different than standard. once again its the shock controling them. that said if u put 8-10 kg springs in the 3 no shock could make them feel standard/nice ride

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

im going to give H&R coilovers a go since they have a progessive spring rate. so in theory small bumps are lessened
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Very true. I guess comfort is very subjective too.. I didn't buy the mps for ride comfort. That said I don't want I track car, you can have a good compromise with enough money, some euro cars have amazing comfort AND handling..

It's not just the set of the suspension hardness on its own. A lot of ride "sensation" has to do with car weight, wheelbase and wheel diameter too. You could have the softest suspension in the world in a Mini and it will still ride like a barn-door dragged across a stubble-field when compared with a longer and heavier car. Many American tanks had what was described as a "featherbed" ride, firstly on account of the fair roads they were on 90% of the time, second because of the extreme wheelbase and thirdly, due to their weight - the only real plus in driving twenty feet of tortured tin, other than good boot space. Larger diameter wheels also really make a difference as you iron out the undulations more easily. A tiny 12" Mini wheel falls into even small pavement holes, while the 18" diameter MPS rim is far more capable of accommodating the same disruption. Comparing rides between two cars has to be done with care before judging the same suspension kit put into each of them.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    in therory this is correct.. but how this for a myth buster. i own a 07 mazda 3 neo springs very soft! i also own a mazda 3 mps spring rates harder. everyone that has been in both said the mps is a better riding car...... i admit harder springs mean harder ride but if u have better shocks controling them this is lessened. i put mazdaspeed 3 lwering kit in the mps 30% harder, than put konis in. my dad said the ride feels no different than standard. once again its the shock controling them. that said if u put 8-10 kg springs in the 3 no shock could make them feel standard/nice ride

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

im going to give H&R coilovers a go since they have a progessive spring rate. so in theory small bumps are lessened
    Best go back to school - Newtons third Law applies to everything, including engine tune. There is always some sacrafice for any gain, that actually balances out.

BTW shock absorbers are DAMPERS - they effect spring bounce and rebound - not ride height as many think. Road vehicles can have it either way - heavy springs and soft shocks or light springs and hard shocks. A combination of both - heavy shock and spring is only suitable for track use on
    specially prepared race surfaces, not our crappy blue metal tar roads in NSW.

One day I am going to start a thread called Myths & Fallacies. There is a huge difference between "Street Talk", Opinion and "tested under controlled conditions"

There is a huge amount of "opinion" written that has never been - in reality TESTED. As an Auto TAFE teacher I learnt very quickly to make sure the information I taught was tested and proved by many different people, not just one article. I can clearly remember coming unstuck when teaching turbo charging - much wiser after researching heaps of articles on Turbo charging and actually fitting a few kits to a variety of cars.

Like I said earlier. Ask people who have the items you may want to buy if you can go for a drive. see what you think is right for you and forget everything elae as in the end you're the only one who has to like it.