User Tag List

Thread: New GenII MPS 3 creaking/squeaking...

1. Default New GenII MPS 3 creaking/squeaking...

Evening All,

I just saw the other thread about squeaking and thought I was in luck but my issue does not sound like suspension...

Rather,

Car is 2000ks old and has developed a creaking noise around the drivers side dash/windshield inside the cabin. With the radio off cruising down a normal road it is basically creaking constantly with every little flex or tiny bumps in the road.

I am a stickler for creaks and rattles and this is sooo annoying. Has anyone else experienced this and been able to pinpoint the source? Its difficult to track down as the sound is reflected around the windsheild/dash area in front of the driver.

Cheers.

have to ask...
    is there anything on the dash?
    i had a creaking noise on my door at one point, turned out to be my garage door opener vibrating to my sound system... took me 2 weeks to work it out (felt so stupid)

check the black trim on the exterior of the windshield, lower section..
    on my gen 1, this was doing identical things untill I adjusted it (read whacked it)

have you tried putting pressure on the map light assembly as that is known to rattle, but may be creaking in your situation?

Glove box even?

Just a suggestion.

5. Default

Nope nothing sitting on the dash or in the sunglasses holder etc...
    I have tried putting pressure on areas around the windscreen, dash, map lights and A pillar trims but have so far been able to silence it.
    I will have a look at the trim around the exterior of the screen next.

I've got something similar, I havn't taken that much notice of it yet but I've noticed creaking sounds when the car is cold. I'll test it this weekend when I take the beast out for a drive.

Does anybody have any rattling noises from the hatch? It is more noticeable when cornering.
    The rubber stoppers on my car have been adjusted but there is still a little rattle... any ideas?

8. Default

Sounds exactly like the problem I have in my 08 gen 1. I think the noise is coming from where the dash meets the windscreen. I've read something from the UK saying that in some cars there isn't enough padding on the bottom of the windscreen. Anyway, I'm getting mine serviced on monday, and they are going to take a look at it. I'll let you know how it goes.

And yes its damn annoying!!

Hi

I just had my GenII in for it's 30,000km service and had the same complaint. It appeared to be coming from around the windscreen (which has a 2ft crack and being replaced tomorrow). I explained there was some torsional / rigidity concern going through driveways etc

The guys at Eagers Mazda (Bris) tightened something up the pointy end ... and it does not make any noise now. I can find out what was done if you need???

10. Default Creaking MPS

My gen 2 has done near 27 000kms and it creaks alot from the dash, aswell as the pasanger seat developing a constant squeaky vibration!

I previously had a 06 lux SP23 sedan and it felt alot more solid and after 75 000 kms had less squeeks and groans than this MPS has.

I understand that sedans are inherintly more ridgid than a hatch!

But hatches have been around along time now you would think they would have sortec this sort of thing?

The fact that the GEN 2 MPS was released so quickly into the model cycle of the current model I wonder about the level of testing that the new shell went through as an MPS? And if it was tested enough or simply rushed to get it in showrooms before the Golf GTI?

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpMPS View Post

The guys at Eagers Mazda (Bris) tightened something up the pointy end ... and it does not make any noise now. I can find out what was done if you need???
    Mate if you could that would be fantastic - will then be able to look at the same thing myself and no doubt others are also interested.

Cheers

When I booked the car in, they noted "Noise in body - flex from front end". They "removed cowl cover & re-tensioned all bolts. Insulated cowl, refitted all"

Just had the windscreen replaced too now - almost a new car again!

Quote Originally Posted by MPStrav View Post
    My gen 2 has done near 27 000kms and it creaks alot from the dash, aswell as the pasanger seat developing a constant squeaky vibration!
    25,000 here and have the exact issues as you. my car is a july 09 build.