User Tag List

Thread: turbo timer?

Default turbo timer?

hey

just wondering if anyone is running a turbo timer? or if they are necessary? i read the manual and
    just said to let it sit for 30 seconds after hard or long driving. but someone told me there a fair nesetity for torbo cars. just wanted to no as onlt had mps6 for 2 wks.
    thanks

Sorry mate but I disagree with who ever told you it is a necessity. It's necessary to put oil and coolant in a car, not a turbo timer! Just do as the manual states and let it idle for 30 seconds. I usually keep off boost if I'm close to my destination anyway. In carparks rolling in first or second is pretty much idle anyway. My only recommendation is if you're at high rpm then pull over, let it idle for a little longer than the 30 seconds, just to be sure.

For eg, racing down a street or just shifting up a road then pulling over suddenly and turning off, won't be a good idea especially if you regularly do it. If you're driving down the street approaching your destination just keep off boost, pull up, idle a little and done. I think you would find most members agree with the above. A turbo timer only keeps the engine idling for longer...why not do that your self, deeming it unnecessary waste of money in my eyes! Get a boost gauge if you wish, money better spent and you can monitor you boost pressure.

Hope that helps

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Agree with ROGWICK. If you've been working it hard then idle for a bit. When I came off the track day, I had been doing successive laps at full power - then I let it idle to stabilize. But in normal urban running and when you are nearing your destination, drive gently and while manoeuvering and parking you have some time to let temps stabilize

BTW, don't rev a cold turbo engine from start up. Start with no throttle then let it idle to warm and let the idle settle down to near normal. Even in Perth at 0C this only takes about 30 seconds. And keep the revs and loads down until things are nice and warm and the guage has started to move well off the C mark.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

They are mostly ILLEGAL anyways... This was required more so for older turbos than the newer ones.
    I always leave it idle for about 20 seconds anyways while I get my things together to get out of the car.. If ive been giving it some then I leave it for a minute or two.

5. Default

Mods close this thread...

There is no discussion here.

I also agree with above. on start up i wait untill coolant gets to 50 degrees (when the needle is just on the start of the gauge) and then I baby it around until it reaches at least 70 degrees (about the middle).. If i boost it while cold i usually end up with smoke next time I let it idle. Once your nearing your destination just keep off boost for a about a min and then let it idle for 30 sec before shutdown. If you've been boosting a lot then maybe give it 1-2min to settle before you turn it off.

I think i read somewhere that turbo timers are only really needed with older car that dont have water cooling in the turbo and that its not required with newer cars that have both oil and water cooled turbos? but i dont know to much about that

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    I also agree with above. on start up i wait untill coolant gets to 50 degrees (when the needle is just on the start of the gauge) and then I baby it around until it reaches at least 70 degrees (about the middle).. If i boost it while cold i usually end up with smoke next time I let it idle. Once your nearing your destination just keep off boost for a about a min and then let it idle for 30 sec before shutdown. If you've been boosting a lot then maybe give it 1-2min to settle before you turn it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    I always leave it idle for about 20 seconds anyways while I get my things together to get out of the car.. If ive been giving it some then I leave it for a minute or two.
    these ^
    i use the start up/cool down times to set up/put away my GPS unit (gen 1, no inbuilt) seems to work pretty well
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

CRUSHER, There's nothing to say a discussion should be opposing views. If there is mutual reinforcement of views, as in this case, then surely that benefits the original inquirer by confirming to him that a particular consensus must have something right going for it.

water cooled.. oil lubricated turbo..

Check

no requirement for a turbo timer..

thanks all to provided input.ur thoughts are duely noted and a turbo timer will not be getting purchased!

thanks again

cool

Thanks all for your input