User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coilovers and Ride Comfort

Default Coilovers and Ride Comfort

Hi all, im having thoughts of trying coilovers in my mps. i have had coilovers in my neo 3 before, i found them a bit hard ( as it was running spring rates 7kg front, 4kg rear the car weight 1240kg) i was after peoples opinion on the best coilover for ride and comfort. i know the spring rates of a standard mps are about 3kg mark. So 6kg front, 4-5kg rear may ride ok? whats your experence's/recommendations... (may save me from buying some good in corners/track but uncomfortable onroad)
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

I have K-sport coil-overs.

The rates on mine are 7.4kg F and 4.7kg R. The front is too hard and the rear is too soft, for my liking anyway. The back squats too much for any sort of power delivery. I'm currently having custom springs made in the reverse setup, 4.7kg F and 7.4kg R. If you stiffen the back, it will handle better and grip better, but, the downside is reduced ride quality. The MPS is slightly heavier too @ 1400+ kg.

I have heard great things about Teins.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

I will be following this thread as well I'm interested to know for myself, it was only yesterday that I went to see the boys at Allstar Tuning about suspension and brakes for my car. I'm hoping to get similiar to the race car without going overboard and price of course...

Blog Entries

Tiens I have heard in both normal 3s and MPSs work awesome...just comes with a big price tag.

troy where are you getting your custom springs done up?

6. Default

If ride quality is an issue for you, you should not be getting coils.

They are hard. Even on adjustable ones the ride is hard.

If you want it lower get some good springs.

Thats my opinion. I would put them on my MPS again but I wasn't worried about ride quality I wanted it low and adjustable in terms of height.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_13 View Post
    If ride quality is an issue for you, you should not be getting coils.

They are hard. Even on adjustable ones the ride is hard.

If you want it lower get some good springs.

Thats my opinion. I would put them on my MPS again but I wasn't worried about ride quality I wanted it low and adjustable in terms of height.
    Im aware of that! i know they are hard. but im wanting to get the best ride i can with coilovers, try to find a happy medium...(iv had coilovers before loved the road holding the adjustablity, but they were a bit hard )..
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

I have to disagree with the popular opinion that coilovers on a mps3 ride to hard mine are set 6.2 front & 5.0 rear k sport coilovers plus Cobb front & rear swaybars set firm front & rear & lowered to the max as well . The ride is suprisingly good firm but not to hard .Rino may be able to comment as he's the only one that has driven it any distance since the sway bars were fitted I can certainly live with it plus the handling is sublime also running 18 x 8 rims plus 245 x35 S DRIVE YOKAHAMA tyres with nitrogen I'm positive all these things help to produce the overall package .

Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by YOU LOSE View Post
    I have to disagree with the popular opinion that coilovers on a mps3 ride to hard mine are set 6.2 front & 5.0 rear k sport coilovers plus Cobb front & rear swaybars set firm front & rear & lowered to the max as well . The ride is suprisingly good firm but not to hard .Rino may be able to comment as he's the only one that has driven it any distance since the sway bars were fitted I can certainly live with it plus the handling is sublime also running 18 x 8 rims plus 245 x35 S DRIVE YOKAHAMA tyres with nitrogen I'm positive all these things help to produce the overall package .

Col
    The only issue I had with the set up of Col's,is that it bottom outs over speed bumps , the ride was good it cornered like a dream, everything I put it through around corners hung on like it was on rails and Col would agree that I didn't baby the car sorry Col it was in good hands ... I normally suffer with my neck and back with mountain twisters, I was fresh and no pain killers for the whole weekend which was a first. In summary I'm now looking at a suspension set up similar to Cols but look at the ride height, I wasn't going to bother but after driving Cols car it's a MUST and upgrade the brakes to complement the package .

I've got the pedders xa coilovers. I can't rate them highly enough! Can be set to quite soft unlike some cars i've been in. (soft is softer than std.) I know alot of people say all sorts of shit about brands they don't have but I have these and I love them. Best thing i ever did to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by TUFMPS View Post
    I've got the pedders xa coilovers. I can't rate them highly enough! Can be set to quite soft unlike some cars i've been in. (soft is softer than std.) I know alot of people say all sorts of shit about brands they don't have but I have these and I love them. Best thing i ever did to the car.
    +1,i have these as well.

What do you want from the suspension? Performance, comfort and/or height adjaustability?

Most coilovers have adjustable height and rebound only, not spring rates or bump. To get the most from some coilovers, get bump and rebound adjustable ones with the correct spring rates. The belief that the ride is hard, will be regardless of settings. The spring rates set the ride quality. This is not adjustable.

The Teins have bump and rebound, plus you can also get an EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller) It allows adjustment on the move from within the cabin.

TEIN USA | PRODUCTS | EDFC

If you don't need the use of the height adjustability, get a good set of springs and struts/shocks from a reputable company known to have knowledge of car setup (eg. Koni/Kings)

Contact GSL Rallysport, they are a site supporter.

GSL RallySport, The Motor Sport Revolution!
    Last edited by 2XS; 04-07-2010 at 08:15 AM.
    Achievements
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

i want to set my own height, dampening adjustablity, camber adjusting. hence why im going coils, but want the hard springs for occansional track use when i get serious .... but for now go the softer spring for daily use that i can set the height

14. Default

+1 Tein and EDFC.

The Teins will allow you to do everything you want. And control the ride at the touch of a button.
    Last edited by Crusher_13; 04-07-2010 at 01:46 PM.

BC Coilovers any good?MPS 6

BC are the cheaper end of coil-overs. Save your money and get either good quality coil-overs (Teins) or a good spring/shock setup

17. Default

BC, Pedders, XYZ & many other are all made in the same factory in Taiwan. All with the old Tein equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    BC, Pedders, XYZ & many other are all made in the same factory in Taiwan. All with the old Tein equipment.
    I knew alot are made in Taiwan (even mine) in the same factory. Does that mean Teins are made in the same factory? Or are they just using their old equipment?
    Achievements
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Yeah i run Teins that are set up by Fulcrum for Aussie conditions,
    not sure on the spring rates (i've forgot, old age ya see lol)
    but i run them on the hardest setting and are not too harsh at all,
    the difference in price between cheaper and more expensive coilovers really isn't much.
    Cheers Todd

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I knew alot are made in Taiwan (even mine) in the same factory. Does that mean Teins are made in the same factory? Or are they just using their old equipment?
    I dare say probably only their old stuff, there new stuff might be else where.

We see this alot in our industry (jetski parts) the factory which makes our rods, pistons and webs also make about 5 other brands, all ranging in price too...which I still find amusing when people ring up and complain when they want a certain brand and then bad mouth ours, when its the same thing
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast