User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Pump Upgrades what are you running?

so you tapped the retainer to move it slightly..

then reused the entire retainer/follower end?

High Pressure Fuel Pump, OMG GUYS!!! - Mazdaspeed Forums

If you have lost the pump puck and just installed the retainer.. this will cause problems.

The pump internals reuse the factory retainer, with the puck

Hope this is of some help

Doc

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Cam Follower Nicked, Possible Cam Damage, after 2 HPFP failres - Mazdaspeed Forums

also have a read here

after much searching...

and i mean much..

These internals must be oiled.. most other recommend this too.

Did you knock out the stock button (or puck)from the stock retainer on the stock plunger..
    Then refit the stock retainer AND STOCK BUTTON?

By the sounds of it, you have left out the stock button, its been done quite a few times before.

I hope this is not the case and im just reading it wrong.

here is some good links for reference to everyone anyway..

First CDFP internals job - Mazdaspeed Forums

Retainer - Mazdaspeed Forums

HPFP are not all created the same! - Mazdaspeed Forums

AWE Tuning Flash Videos <-------------------------------- This is a good one, very useful video

Hope it works out for you mate

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    after much searching...

and i mean much..

These internals must be oiled.. most other recommend this too.

Did you knock out the stock button (or puck)from the stock retainer on the stock plunger..
    Then refit the stock retainer AND STOCK BUTTON?

By the sounds of it, you have left out the stock button, its been done quite a few times before.

I hope this is not the case and im just reading it wrong.

here is some good links for reference to everyone anyway..

First CDFP internals job - Mazdaspeed Forums

Retainer - Mazdaspeed Forums

HPFP are not all created the same! - Mazdaspeed Forums

AWE Tuning Flash Videos <-------------------------------- This is a good one, very useful video

Hope it works out for you mate

Doc
    Stock Button and Retainer in Place did not lose them

I have rebuilt the pump with stock internals and all is well again..

but will need to machine up a new retainer button i think.. mine is a little scuffed!!!

Agghhhhhhhhhh

Removing cp-e hpfp, one of the torque bolts was very tight and stripped. Anybody have any idea how I go about removing a stripped bolt??

pissed off

hex or cap head bolt?

Neither, star torque. Security bit. Look on any hpfp removal how to and you will see mate. Stupid thing, bolt or hex heads would be heaps stronger

get yourself an easy out screw extraction set..

drill the appropriately sized hole in through the bolt head.. then use said screw extractor.. bingo out she comes

Doc

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ranton View Post
    Stock Button and Retainer in Place did not lose them

I have rebuilt the pump with stock internals and all is well again..

but will need to machine up a new retainer button i think.. mine is a little scuffed!!!
    the button is the guts of the pump.. it must be hardened, heat treated, and coated.. otherwise you will end up with results like this HPFP are not all created the same! - Mazdaspeed Forums

liberal coats of oil is a must for these pumps.. Did you prime the pump before you started the car?

no go mate. Already bought and extraction kit, snapped in appropriately size hole. Mo**er ****er!!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0357..jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	4612  

Oh bugger

tungsten carbide drills.. Take the head completely off. Then hope to he'll you cab get some good vice grips on the exposed threads once u get the pump off...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Oh bugger

tungsten carbide drills.. Take the head completely off. Then hope to he'll you cab get some good vice grips on the exposed threads once u get the pump off...
    Dont want to scratch the damn pump though. This is crap
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Damn, okay thats a problem.

You might have to get some professional help for that.

Usually, at this stage, there would be two options.

Cold chisel to try and take the head off, but risky (especially if the bolt is high tensile)

Angle grind the head off, and then use vice grips to take the rest of the bolt out when the pump is off (this will only work if its not threaded inside the pump though).

Both of these options are pretty hairy, and not for the newbie.

You can also try driling the head out like Doc said, but on high tensile bolts, that is damned hard. The drill bit has a habit for slipping everywhere.

Sorry mate, no easy answer.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    Damn, okay thats a problem.

You might have to get some professional help for that.

Usually, at this stage, there would be two options.

Cold chisel to try and take the head off, but risky (especially if the bolt is high tensile)

Angle grind the head off, and then use vice grips to take the rest of the bolt out when the pump is off (this will only work if its not threaded inside the pump though).

Both of these options are pretty hairy, and not for the newbie.

You can also try driling the head out like Doc said, but on high tensile bolts, that is damned hard. The drill bit has a habit for slipping everywhere.

Sorry mate, no easy answer.
    Must not be high tensile as it was easy to drill the guide hole for the broken extractor. Problem is that the extractor is stock in the middle of the bolt, going to be difficult to dirll on top of a broken tungsten carbide bit.

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

I was hoping you didnt buy the good extractors... I didnt think the carbide ones would snap so easily.. bugger mate

High tensile will be easy to drill difficult to snap .. Stainless is not high tensile it's hard to drill and easy to snap

I have new internals on the way and have ordered a cpe pump... So my ptp replacement internals will be for sale..

Quote Originally Posted by Ranton View Post
    High tensile will be easy to drill difficult to snap .. Stainless is not high tensile it's hard to drill and easy to snap

I have new internals on the way and have ordered a cpe pump... So my ptp replacement internals will be for sale..
    This is what i was talking about, cp-e for piece of mind. That is when they are easy to remove

im not discounting the PTP product what so ever..

but looking back im already running CPE Dp and FMIC.. i shouldnt have Thrown anything else in to the mix.

Brand new PTP internals 350AUD PM me if anyone wants em. (Pending their arrival from PTP

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

also is it true the MKV Golf GTI Runs the same (just with slightly different fittings CDFP??

Ie would the internals be cross compatible?

nup.. because the PTP use the stock retainer, and the stock button/puck

The golf has a slightly different setup from what I understand.. so no I would say not.. but not entirely sure..

Doc

They look very close!

------

Just a heads up doc

the Tri lobe cam has its own housing sealed off to the rest of the cam shaft

there is 4 bolts to the housing itself and it comes right off! i have my 3 lobe cam exposed at present to inspect for damages

so it may be easier to attack that broken bolt on the bench..

you have to unplug all the cables and remove your intake.. but other than that those four bolts and the alloy housing is off.

pretty cool the fuel pump cam has its own oil jet/drain..

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

also on the bench you will be able to drill the bolt right out and make a new thread (Via Heli coil) that is if you have no option but to attack it from that angle

Here are some pictures of the TRI LOBE Cam for your viewing sake.. this is with the fuel pump casing removed from the engine

nice one ranton.. good pics.. I hope it all works out for you, and you dont have any issues.

Today guys, I installed my PTP internals.. I couated everything in synthetic oil prior to install.

I also spent a good 45 mins cleaning everything out, it was surgically clean, air blown out, then recleaned in fuel.. dried again..then oiled to the hills.

carried out break in procedure.. and have driven it fot about 30k's. have taken it easy.. varying the RPM's, and only boosted to about 5psi.. with no problems. seeing 1700psi fuel pressure under light load.

So far so good.. Ill keep everyone updated

Good luck Ranton.

Doc

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Ranton.. after closer inspection of your cam lobe, I dont see any reall problems, nothing that a hit with some very fine wet and dry wont fix.. all the way up to 3600 grade.. you should be able to see your reflection in it..

Keep us updated..

For what its worth ive not seen a pump failure cause any damage other than the pump internals thenmself.

Cheers
    Doc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast