User Tag List

Thread: Detailing Kits

Default Detailing Kits

Hi guys,

A few new things in the store. For those guys with a machine polisher we have a few different buffing pad kits. We also have a couple of new kits for the Prima range.

With the forum discount (you need to register for that) you can save up to 20% off retail purchasing your products in these bundles.

Lake Country 6.5" CCSOEM Foam Buffing Pad Complete Kit
    Lake Country 6.5" CCSOEM Foam Buffing Pad Starter Kit
    Lake Country 6.5" CCS Constant Pressure Buffing Pad Kit
    Prima Complete Car Care Kit
    Prima Paint Protection Kit
    Last edited by ZAS; 15-01-2009 at 09:07 PM.

2. Default

I dont have a buffing machine, but what is in the Prima Paint Protection Kit? Is this similar to what the aftermarket tinting places use in their paint protection packs?

Hi Wardski,

Paint protection is a synthetic product otherwise known as a "sealant". How it works is the polymer structure of the sealant "cross-links" forming a barrier between your paintwork and the environment. Bugs will come off easier and won't etch the paint, it will provide extra gloss to the paint and dirt also won't embedd itself to the paint and will be easier to wash off. It doesn't protect against scratches like some places will tell you, and it doesn't last forever either.

The truth is paint protection (or a sealant) will last about 4-6 months on it's own before it wears off and protection no longer exists. There are ways to extend the life of the product and I have included these in the kit.

First you need to clean the surface properly to ensure the paint protection bonds correctly. You use the Amigo for this step and it can be applied by hand.

Next you apply your sealant which is the Epic. This is similar to the aftermarket products you are talking about. This can be done either by machine or by hand.

Then to maintain the paint protection you spray on Prima Hydro once a month as a top up. Hydro is also a sealant, but in a thin liquid form and you use it just like you would a window cleaner. The car wash also adds to the protection (although not much) but most importantly it doesn't "strip" your sealant like heavy duty cleaners will.

I also added the Prima Slick in there simply because this stuff makes your paint work look awesome. Apply it on top of your paint protection and after you wash and dry your vehicle. Just once every month instead of using the Slick, use the Hydro.

With regular washing and use of the additional products your protection will remain as long as you want it to, although it is recommended that you strip it back the old product once every 6 months and re-apply.

The good thing about a kit like this is, you get to keep the products. A bottle of Prima Epic will last you years. Prima Amigo the same. Hydro, Slick and Mystique not so long, only because you are using them reguarly. A bottle of Hydro and Slick should last you at least 6 months. You don't need to coat the surface with a thick layer. Just mist it on and spread while buffing.

As for the car wash, when it runs out, there are other options on the market you can use instead. You just need to make sure the car wash you use is "wax friendly". An example of shampoo that isn't wax friendly would be the kind of wash they use at a do-it-yourself car wash. It's too strong. It uses heavy cleaners to strip dirt etc. The problem with this is it takes everything else with it too.

Prima Epic will withstand a lot of this kind of abuse with strong cleaners, but it will definately shorten its life span.

Also included in the kit is an applicator as well as two of our best microfbre towels.

Hope that answers all your questions.

Joel
    Last edited by ZAS; 16-01-2009 at 11:41 AM.

4. Default

How much for the protection kit mate? if its $199 less $20%, then I might grab this kit. Looks like a winner. Had paint protection done back in May 08, so its now time for a recoat. I have added extra wax just recently (came up beautiful) which was supplied in an applicator kit from the paint protection company at the time.
    Last edited by Wardski; 16-01-2009 at 12:00 PM.

The kit is $199 less 10% for the forum discount so $179.10 plus postage (we do a flate rate $12.50 postage Australia wide) so with postage you are looking at $191.60. It's 15% less than buying the products seperately. The Prima complete kit is 20% less.

For the forum discount all you've gotta do is create an account on our website then PM me your name so I can upgrade your account. Then when you log in the prices will be listed with the discount rather than the full retail rate.
    ------------------------------ Double post merged ------------------------------
    Actually I was wrong. It is 20% cheaper for the Paint Protection kit as well...
    Last edited by ZAS; 16-01-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Double post merged

This is all a bit bewildering. I really need to go along to the next clinic to get my head around the latest in car care products.

What is so bewildering? Maybe I can explain.

Well for someone who has never taken much interest in presentation, other than regular washing and cleaning, I'm a complete novice who knows nothing about polishing. So to me there is a bewildering array of products and a system that I am yet to understand. I guess the confusing part for me is that many products appear to do the same thing, so knowing which one to choose, and when, is also a bit of a challenge without any experience in this area.

What interests me now is two things;

1. After two and half years of regular washing, the MPS is showing signs of surface degradation and I'd like to bring it back to new condition.

2. I recently bought a used car and the dealer's detailers left it looking like they buffed it with sand paper. It's dark green and could have a lot of depth with a bit of work.

Perhaps I should get them professionally detailed first and then try to maintain them that way?
    Last edited by kmh001; 17-01-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Gone to Volvo

1. You need what is called a paint correction. Using an abrasive polish that removes a very fine amount of paint a levels out the scratches.

2. As above.

You can get them done professionally, or do it yourself. If you have no experiece or the tools to do it, then using a professional would be the best way. Afterwards, you need to use correct care procedures to maintain it.

There are a lot of products that do the same thing. The difference is, some do it better than others. What makes a great product is:

1. It's ease of use - some products are an absolute bitch to use
    2. The durability - some products last much longer than others
    3. The look - some products enhance the look more than others

We have a new range of products coming soon that will appeal to people like yourself. One of them is an All-In-One Abrasive polish/sealant. So instead of having the prepare the paint, then apply the various products, It will do all the steps required in one application. So the micro abrasives will help to remove your swirl marks (spider webbing) and then it also contains ingredients that will protect your paint. You simply apply it by hand (or by machine) work it in like a polish and then buff off and you're done.

This stuff is unreal actually. You can even apply it to hot panels in the sun, which is a no-no for most products. And it buffs off too easy.

It will be available in a week or so along with a non-abrasive All-In-One polish/sealant, a shampoo and a gloss enhancing spray. They will be priced under the $20 mark for 500ml which will appeal to those who don't have time and don't want to spend a furtune on car care.