User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a cel! Arrgghhh!

PM replied, see you this afternoon.

Well we read the CEL, code P2096 as predicted by Cotn and Oldhead, LTFT around -3.5%

LTFT at -3.5%?
    I think Oldhead had +3.5% when his threw the CEL.....
    But on his drive back from Sydney after DP install he had +5.0 average with no CEL..
    So how can the + or -3.5% be throwing them now?????

Yep, -3.5%

I also dug up the Gen 1 service manual and have attached the relevant pages for code P2096.

Edit: let's try again with the correct pages attached
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TD; 27-06-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Having a think with a beer here...it has to be related to the DP with you guys. All Gen 2 3 MPS's, all with varying intake setups, the only thing in common is the DP.

After reading the service manual blurb I'd be leaning (no pun intended!) to it being related to the O2 sensor/s. How different are the positions of the O2 sensors on the Best Mufflers setup to the Gen 2 factory positions? I reckon that might be where the answer lies...

It's not the intakes.
    Check my 'damn, cel' thread!

Hey Dan, Big thanks for coming out today and clearing my CEL. From the evidence it doesn't seem to be the intakes. We'll have to get in touch with Chris from Best Mufflers and see what he suggests.

CEL free (for now)
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    Having a think with a beer here...it has to be related to the DP with you guys. All Gen 2 3 MPS's, all with varying intake setups, the only thing in common is the DP.

After reading the service manual blurb I'd be leaning (no pun intended!) to it being related to the O2 sensor/s. How different are the positions of the O2 sensors on the Best Mufflers setup to the Gen 2 factory positions? I reckon that might be where the answer lies...
    I've been saying this

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Hey Dan, Big thanks for coming out today and clearing my CEL. From the evidence it doesn't seem to be the intakes. We'll have to get in touch with Chris from Best Mufflers and see what he suggests.

CEL free (for now)
    No worries Brad, it adds another piece to the puzzle for you guys and that annoying bright light has gone away now!

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    Well we read the CEL, code P2096 as predicted by Cotn and Oldhead, LTFT around -3.5%
    Just for my info, did u look at LTFT b4 removing code,and where u under normal drive conditions when monitoring LTFT.

Seems crazy ,that with lean code it is subtracting fuel not adding. Just trying to get a good handle on this prob.

There are many MAPs within ECU (ie below 2000RPM) (to 4000rpm) (WOT) Etc LTFT relates to pulse width at any area within predefined MAP.
    Just not ready to jump on D/P yet. But could be possible .

Im checking ,but i believe that ist H02s sensor mounted on bellhousing of D/p monitors A/F ratio and this sensor reports P2096 . The second sensor near rear cat only monitors performance of effeciency within cat. If im correct then we are back to sri or mod to air box . Watch this space , im open to advice .
    Last edited by Oldhead; 28-06-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Just for my info, did u look at LTFT b4 removing code,and where u under normal drive conditions when monitoring LTFT.

Seems crazy ,that with lean code it is subtracting fuel not adding.
    No, yes and agreed.

But I have the standard airbox on Oldhead.
    So moded airbox or Sri can't be to blame!
    Can't be more simple than that......

Not trying to dismiss u Seaton, appreciate all input, it just doesnt seem to add up. 3 Gen 2, all reasonably new ,low klms with same d/p all have taken quiet some time to react, all seem to have thrown cel at highway drive, none threw cel during track time ?????

All cars have diff sri or mod air box. The HO2s on bellhousing is in same place as OEM d/p.

From what i understand there are a full set of parameters/ranges built into short term and LTFT within ecu.In Simple terms the Short term will try to keep stoich and LTFT will add or subtract to keep within target ranges at given RPM /engine load/MAP etc.. If one of the ranges can not be met then a CEL will appear.

We have all had a cel thrown at or around 110klm highway driving, Mine threw last when coming to a stop. ???????
    We all have diff air filters ,some are more efficient than others, im starting to think that at certain conditions the ECU and the ranges/algorithim built in for ST and LTFT at some point can not be met Bingo CEL.

Fully understand u have replaced with std air box,and currently had Cel. So process of elimination points to D/P ,sorry im not totally convinced.
    Me thinks that at a certain point ,remembering that LTFTcan go up or down within possibly +25 to -25 and short term has the same variances, that the MAF,because of diff Filters/sri/etc gives a reading to ecu that makes it fall outside of inbuilt ranges/ algorithim.

I can only summize that u have got another Cel with std air box ,due to fact that it was not completely cleared and resurfaced due to History.

Again guys ,just looking for definative answer. Dont want to throw baby out with bath water.

I had cel come back 3 times track day.
    And last night at 60kmh with standard airbox.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Plus I disconnected battery...
    Resetting the LTFTs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    I had cel come back 3 times track day.
    And last night at 60kmh with standard airbox.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Plus I disconnected battery...
    Resetting the LTFTs.....
    Thanks Seaton ,all this updated info is assisting . It wont beat us. (i Hope)

Yeah I need to sort this out soon.
    Like I said I'm going to get an ecutek tune, and once that's done I can't go changing dp's and stuff around.....

Ok Cton, Yeldarb , process of elimination. All three Gen2 have had cel after quiet some time, Highway drives have seem to be trigger!

Doc has had his on gen 1 and no Prob, same engine ????
    The only diff i can find is that Doc has had his D/P re tightened,and had some minor take up on bolts.!!!!

Highway drive MAY have caused heat and expansion ,because we have 2 dissimilar metals (IE s/s bolted to cast at turbo ) just maybe we have developed a minor exhaust leak through expansion ,hence the very similar occurences.

Tech sheets do nominate poss cause as exhaust leak!!!!! Cant hurt to follow up with tighten of D/P to turbo bolts. As it is the only variance that i can think of.
    May be just possible. Still screwing with my head.
    Last edited by Oldhead; 29-06-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: wording

I'm a gen 1 mate
    all very strange

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I'm a gen 1 mate
    all very strange
    Sorry Doc (typo) new u had Gen1

Hmm. Sounds like possibility oldhead.
    Got to try something!
    Maybe Doc just didn't get it cause of the difference in ECU???

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast