User Tag List

Thread: NEW TOY and is it good..

Default NEW TOY and is it good..

Hi All

Was surfing around the other day and came across a GPS unit..Garmin Nuvi 1490T
    Nothing really special there..live traffic..bluetooth to IPhone including phonebook transfer..
    But something different EcoRoute tells me fuel economy, braking, acceleration etc.. Not Bad
    But add Ecoroute HD connection well now this is brilliant.

Plug the attachment into the computer point in the MPS.. Let it connect...Hit the Guages accessory...

Tap a guage and the menu comes up to change with a heap of diagnostics that can be shown speed, rpm, water temp (excellent for gen 2 owners), engine load, throttle position, intake pressure etc etc
    go to the menu and select diagnostics.. i had an error code 21795 or something, when selected it said fuel mixture was lean on port 1, so i cleared it..no more CEL...
    oh did i say it was also a GPS...
    Will let you all know more as i get into it further

Awal

Interesting how does this all compare to the dashhawk? I have been considering grabbing a one but if I could get a GPS unit with similar abilities I might go that way instead.

How much does one of these plus the ecoroute thingy cost?

^^^^Would also like to know a bit more about these....Price??? Where from????

Hell yeh I'm keen.

Great find GPM mps.....found a bit more info here....but still hunting for more. These guys are australian stockists so at $199.00 if you have already have a compat garmin unit not too bad. Hunting for more info and comparisons to the dashhawk

Garmin ecoRoute HD

I posted this up a while ago and a few people indicated that it didn't do as much as a dashhawk, but you also need to consider how much extra info you really need.

It is quite a selling point for a GPS to display more info. I'd buy one if I needed a GPS. And it's a much prettier interface than a dashhawk.

I picked up mine for $169 from JB and have got the Girl onside if we want more. The unit i picked up for $331 so $500 all up for the whole thing. It might not do as much as a Dashhawk but it is GPS and bluetooth phone as well...

Awal

$330 for a OBD2 cable attached to a bluetooth dongle? Ouch. I might wait longer until the price drops before I look further into this. Wait... is the GPS $331 and the HD thingy $169? Because that sounds much more reasonable esp because I think the Eco HD thing works on some of their less expensive units too. I might take a trip down to JB tomorrow or Monday and have a chat with them about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    $330 for a OBD2 cable attached to a bluetooth dongle? Ouch. I might wait longer until the price drops before I look further into this. Wait... is the GPS $331 and the HD thingy $169? Because that sounds much more reasonable esp because I think the Eco HD thing works on some of their less expensive units too. I might take a trip down to JB tomorrow or Monday and have a chat with them about it.
    Keep us in the loop, Good work GPM mps .

Has anyone seen REV on the iphone/Ipod. Very similar.

I could have sworn I posted on this....

Anyway I spoke to JB and my local one at least has to custom order it in and can probably do it for around $179. It will work with the 1390T 1490T and 1690T (also works with the 1260 but I think thats an old model nobody sells anymore). I was a little curious what can you throw up on the display? GPM MPS can you give us a full list of the available meters? Personally I'm interested in boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    I could have sworn I posted on this....

Anyway I spoke to JB and my local one at least has to custom order it in and can probably do it for around $179. It will work with the 1390T 1490T and 1690T (also works with the 1260 but I think thats an old model nobody sells anymore). I was a little curious what can you throw up on the display? GPM MPS can you give us a full list of the available meters? Personally I'm interested in boost.
    +1

This would be awesome as a boost guage!

Uhhh Would the intake man pressure do as the boost guage?? Its in the pic on the OP!
    Last edited by Scaredycrow; 30-06-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Is the dongle part that goes of the ODB port effectly just that a dongle that will just hang there? As knowing my luck I would get in the car one day my foot would catch it and rip it out in the most painful of ways possible. Would be my only worry.

Thanks GPM for bringing this to our attention. It sounded like such a cool setup I went and invested in a 1490 and the Ecoroute HD.

First impressions were frustrating. Garmin were having firmware issues, but all sorted now and what a terrific piece of kit.

As decisbed above it's a really good GPS. Plus as the Ecotoute HD and you have a choice of 10 gauges.

But my main reason for the investment was the diagnostics and fault code clearance.

As as it turns out I had another CEL today. So with this baby plugged in, I went through a few screens, read the code and cleared it. Easy as!!

Now as Oldhead has suggested, I'm not sure how deep the code clearance goes. This might be only like hitting the snooze button. We'll see in time I suppose.

Anyway I'm loving the gauges, not sure what some of them means, but that how you learn I suppose.

Thanks agaiin GPM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Last Import - 6..jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	4476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Last Import - 7..jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	4477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Last Import - 8..jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	4478  
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

I sort of wonder if it needs its specific ecoroute HD component or if any old Bluetooth OBD2 reader would do. Cos Id be more tempted if I could get this
    OBD OBD2 2 WIRELESS BLUETOOTH TROUBLE CODE SCAN TOOL S1 - eBay Other, Tools, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 21-Jul-10 14:58:55 AEST) hooked up to it!

16. Default

thats awesome i want one

Was thinking of getting one of these but deffo getting one now, just waiting on Garmin releasing their new Nuvi 3790T it's smaller than an iPhone!
    Last edited by Greigrob; 04-07-2010 at 09:08 PM.

This did look really good, but i don't want to have to get another gps unit for my car, Just waiting on my Bluetooth unit so i can connect to my phone and use that app on that. but for a Gen 1, this looks great. Hey is the osdII port in that little hole next to the steering wheel?

I'm getting the gps for my work ute, but will use the Eco route in the MPS to look at any CEL issues and errors instead of a dash hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Brackaus View Post
    This did look really good, but i don't want to have to get another gps unit for my car, Just waiting on my Bluetooth unit so i can connect to my phone and use that app on that. but for a Gen 1, this looks great. Hey is the osdII port in that little hole next to the steering wheel?
    Right hand side of steering wheel, above the little cubby hole where your wallet (purse) might live.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	4495  
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2