User Tag List

Thread: Gearbox/Clutch Issues

Default Gearbox/Clutch Issues

Hi guys

When cold..(normally morning start)...aftrer i let the cars idle level drop to normal, when disengaging the clutch and get a scraping noise...eventually it goes away as the car warms up but it does not sound too healthy...does anyone know what this could be?possibly an engine mount?rear engine mount?or gearbox mounts etc?

does any1 know how to tell if the engine mounts are shot?

also what duro should i get for a rear engine mount?thinking CPE or medieval?opinions...

Also when cold, gear 2 seems a bit harder than usual..i'm up to 80000kms soon, so i will change all the oils..which fluids should i get?

Thanks guys really appreciate all the help

2nd is a double synchro so is a bit tight cold. It's to cope with people dragging and doing hot launches. Live with it and don't force it. It's fine warm. Normal service period oil changes should be fine. I never force shifts when the box is cold, but just let it feed itself in in its own good time. My Maserati 2nd gear was as stiff as a post when cold so I used to hop straight to 3rd. But when warm, it was a delight.

Don't know what your "scraping sound" is. Doesn't sound like a mount issue at all. They will clunk and rattle. I'm assuming when you say "disengage" the clutch you mean to push the clutch pedal in? - just confirming. In which case it might be a throw-out bearing noise or the fork acting on the face of the bearing, but usually noises from them aren't much to worry about unless it is very unusual and really sounds like it's going to fly apart. They are a low stress and intermittently worked bearing.

Visit this thread too: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...ng-issues.html Maybe you guys can get together on the issues. If I read this right, it looks like a lot of forced fast shifts might be blowing the synchro. These cars have so much pull that there is rarely a need to shift fast anyway.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 25-06-2010 at 03:06 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

problem one = throw out bearings rattling around on the layshaft thinsg in your gearbox.. completely normal on this car.. they all do it

problem two = cold gearbox oil.. let it warm up, and dont munch it into gear

Solution to problem two: redline mt-90 gear oil gl4 all the way.

Doc

thanks guys...any other help is appreciated aswell..thanks heaps..should probs get mounts done anyway.apparently great money to spend thanks guys

Agree with Doc. I live in the UK. Didn't get MT90 but put some Millers fully synth in instead. It was a bit cheaper. Still need to warm the oil up before any quick 1/2 change. What I do with a cold gearbox is let the lever enter the gate before dropping into 2nd. It does work. With the original Mazda geaerbox oil, I couldn't get 6th from revving in 2nd. Never could from new. Now it works beautifully. It does make me wonder what was in it originally.