User Tag List

Thread: Xt-m5-qs

Default XT-M5-QS and you/your mazda ( WSD-M2C200-C)

Been looking around locally (New Zealand) to get hold of this FoMoCo oil

all that is available and can be sourced by FoMoCo dealers locally is XT-M5-QM not Qs

after google-ising for a few hours Searching phrases like

XT-M5-QS GL4 Equivalent

&

WSD-M2C200-C GL4

The only resource of interest that popped up was the Royal Purple Cross Reference Chart!

Which Interestingly Stated

Ford Manual Transmissions (XT-M5-QS spec, WSD-M2C200-C) --> SAE 10W40

Ford Transaxles (F32Z 19C547-MA) --> Max-Gear 75W90

Ford all models (XT-2-QSM, XT-5-QM) --> Synchromax

Manual Transmission / Transaxle (API GL-4 or GL-5: 75W90, 80W90) --> Max-Gear 75W90
    I know Doc? or RD415 stated that it was normal in the past to use engine oil in Gearboxes etc..

however im still uneasy.. that said i wish to try the XT-M5-QS GL4 fluid as i want to evacuate the GL5 Max-Gear out of my Gearbox.

My Cold Shifts are ass and my 1st and 2nd Shifts are always aweful.. even when i give the car stick i still shift slowly to allow the synchros to do their job.. but this is ridiculous...

some mornings 0 deg etc i have to miss 1st gear completely...

anyone know where i can get the Genuine ford stuff online.. and if its ACTUALLY that good

i quoted the dealer the WSD-M2C200-C and he pulled up some oil that they do carry and stated its what they put in the european fords..

he wouldnt give me the part number.. but said it apparently wasnt XT-M5-QS

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

I have found a Nulon Dealer in New Zealand who carry that 75w85 Oil that is GL4 and carries the same WSD-M2C200-C spec as MT-X5-QS

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

I think ill Give the Nulon a Go..

What are your Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ranton; 26-06-2010 at 09:36 AM.

I never said engine oil in gear boxes was cool
    I would not reccomend this.

I have 3 qts of MT90 waiting to go in.

Doc

Well i just thought Feck it..

I went and bought the WSD M2C200 C

ford Branded oil

will pop it in this weekend and see what happens

its a 75w90

and supposed to be same spec as XT-M5-Qs

same bottle as this

Last edited by Ranton; 26-06-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Just further to this...

Dropped out the Royal Purple Last night after work

and

Flushed Half a Litre of the new Fluid thru (i bought 4 x 1litre bottles) to clear out the remaining RP

Sealed it all up..

and Refilled the GB with the above Ford 75w90 BO Oil..

Used 2.8 Litres

Ran the Car up and Drive..

Im pretty Critical on weather or not things are improved.. or if its just the initial all in my head sorta thing.

Yes the Wong Noise is back.. only very Slightly thou.. in comparison with the RPs Zero Wong-ing

Gear Changes are far more positive. just after 40kms of driving... the Synchros barely if at all clunk...

and the Cold shifts in the morning are no longer an issue..

with the RP i was having to leave the car idle in Neutral for around 2 minutes before even attempting to drive. as the car was not interested in shifting from 1st to 2nd what so ever..

So i think it is pretty safe to say.. anything specfied as WSD M2C200-C GL-4 is pretty safe and worthwhile to run in this box.

YEs the RP was quieter but the shifts sucked in comparison..

I thought MT 90s shifts were arse also..

In summary..

Had Factory Fluid.. Shifts were Difficult. 50,000km
    Late last year dealer did a refil.. Dif got a little noisy and the shifts still sucked.. 60,000kms
    Chaned to MT90 Shifts were only slightly improved.. but the Diff was Wonging... 65,000kms
    Changed to Royal Purple.. fluid is actually purple.. Warm shifts ok.. cold shifts arse... but Zero Wong noise. 70,000kms
    Changed to European Ford Specified WSD M2C200-C Fluid 75w90 Best so Far and only slight wong ... 79,000kms (but for the shift quality.. i wouldnt look past it.. the price however per litre however was "**** me jesus i could have bought dinner for a small ethiopian comunity for a week with that money "

Last edited by Ranton; 26-06-2010 at 09:35 AM.

royal purple = friction modified gl5
    = no wooong wooong noise gue to your LSD slipping like a bugger due to friction modifiers.
    = hard gear shifts because your synchros are not happy with life, due to friction modifiers, and they are not grabbing.

ford stuff = less or no friction modifiers..= LSD actually working
    = synchros able to do their job, and grab.

glad it worked out for you

im anti GL5.. friction modifiers are evil

yeah your right..

I hope google picks this up..

Just so people can see that WSD M2C200-C is More or less another key to a better shifting gearbox...

not so much the XT-M5-QS that everyone on the US forums talks of... you probably could also get away with the WSD M2C200-C fluid Made by Nulon in Australia..

There is so much disambiguation on the internet as to the fluids..

Again it will always be preference.. but i think i have spent a fair amount of money already on fluids to make a pretty solid call..

I personally havent tried the XT-M5-QS but assume its very much the same as the fluid I used the other night