User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MPS 3 - Gen 1 - 2nd gear shifting issues

Mazda told me it will not be covered by warranty lol

Read my post again

You said you didnt want to use other oils whilst under warranty, I said use the penrite - as it is a fix for the woong woong noise (There is a TSB). That was mazda cannot give you grief about another type of oil as they are recommending it as a fix for another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Read my post again

You said you didnt want to use other oils whilst under warranty, I said use the penrite - as it is a fix for the woong woong noise (There is a TSB). That was mazda cannot give you grief about another type of oil as they are recommending it as a fix for another issue.
    The dealership i dealt with didn't hear about the bulletin...
    I had the woong woong noise on my Gen 2.
    LEft it with Mazda for a week.
    They couldn't rectify it and instead replaced my transmission.....
    Picked mine up today, no woong noise! Gears are shifting awesome at the moment! Just gotta let it wear it and see how it goes.

4. Default

What is this "woong woong" noise? Is it the slight musical note it gives when slowing down? A little whine as you shift down gears?

I never considered this a problem as the demo car I drove back in early 2006 did the exact same thing, and my car has done it nearly every day since purchase. Gear shift can be a bit notchy at times, and cause concern but nothing I wouldn't expect from a sports shift. Tried to shift a Ford F6 gearbox in a hurry... yeah, fat chance.

Copied from another post of mine:

The "wong wong" is the sound of the LSD gears when turning the wheel and applying some throttle, noticeable after the incorrect gearbox oil is used. You'll know if you have it!

The gearbox whine is par for the course with the 3 MPS.

I get this noise when cruizing at 100km esp on the freeway... penrite ha nice will try. i have use this oil before in my cars nice oil.!.

You'll still have the noise at 100km/h Luke regardless of what oil you use, that's just what the gearbox is like.

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    Copied from another post of mine:

The "wong wong" is the sound of the LSD gears when turning the wheel and applying some throttle, noticeable after the incorrect gearbox oil is used. You'll know if you have it!

The gearbox whine is par for the course with the 3 MPS.
    And this noise tends to happen at lower speeds, usually on 1st and 2nd gears.

ok.

I've done 1000k's on my brand new Gen II now and have started noticing a knock on some gear changes.

2nd-3rd is the most noticeable. Just a single clunk with some shifts and occasionally when I dont match revs and drop the clutch on a downshift. From the cabin it sounds like the knock is emanating from the rear of the car but we all know how hard it is to identify odd noises origins from inside the car.

Ill take it in for its 1000k checkup on friday and will make sure I mention it.
    Last edited by Reedy; 01-07-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    I've done 1000k's on my brand new Gen II now and have started noticing a knock on some gear changes.

2nd-3rd is the most noticeable. Just a single clunk with some shifts and occasionally when I dont match revs and drop the clutch on a downshift. From the cabin it sounds like the knock is emanating from the rear of the car but we all know how hard it is to identify odd noises origins from inside the car.

Ill take it in for its 1000k checkup on friday and will make sure I mention it.
    See what info you get cuz i know that knock noise your talking about and it is present in my Gen 2 also.

With its second brand new gear box in place too.

May just be normal. Dunno how to replicate the sound but i've heard it before.

13. Default

Ah ha so many posts on this issue, seems like I am not the only one. I think my best option is to just double clutch when going from 1st to 2nd, or as one member commented slow down on that shift leaving it in neutral for a few secs before shifting.

Other notes, I have a 60duro CPE mount in, love it, had the Street Unit mount before that which was also good. As far as gear box oil, yes I have a better oil (not sure if it is the Penrite oil) as I too had the 'woong woong' noise, changing the oil stopped this issue.

Guess I just have to put up with it. It has only been bad this winter, over the summer warmer months the car has been fine.

usually happened to my Gen 1 when cold for the first 15-20 mins. Used to give me shits as this is my first manual car in a long while. Much much better after new mounts but is still there on the first 10 mins

Double clutching and leaving it in neutral is not a viable solution, thats treating the symptoms not the cause.

The dealer can't fit me in tomorrow, going on monday instead.

Dropped it off this morning, explained the noise to the guy. His first suggestion was that it's still bedding in which is more than likely but they will see what they can find. Picking it up at 12.

Dropped it off this morning, explained the noise to the guy. His first suggestion was that it's still bedding in which is more than likely but they will see what they can find. Picking it up at 12.
    Dont accept that as an excuse. Thats rubbish.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Picked it up, said they found no fault with it. If I change properly it makes no noise, its only when I throw it around a bit that it makes that noise so put it down to a characteristic of the gearbox rather than any actual defect.

Might revisit it at the next service.

Picked it up, said they found no fault with it. If I change properly it makes no noise, its only when I throw it around a bit that it makes that noise so put it down to a characteristic of the gearbox rather than any actual defect.

Might revisit it at the next service.
    I think there is even a thread on clunky gear changes, so it may be normal i guess.

Yea it wouldnt surprise me if its normal, it's just a noise that I havent heard in other manual's i've driven so was worth mentioning.

Backed up by dealers/mechanics repeatedly telling people nothing is wrong, I feel inclined to start believing them now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast