User Tag List

Thread: installed 52mm Prosport Boost Gauge 6MPS

Default installed 52mm Prosport Boost Gauge 6MPS

For the money this gauge is bloody awesome! Seems to be fairly accurate with peaks of 15-16psi settling down to 14.5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0040..jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	4353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0039..jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	4354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0038..jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	4355  

Looks good mate, I got my two DEFI's in a similar position. I've got a dash mat so that enabled me to penetrate through that and conceal wiring underneath. I mounted the plate on the underside of the dash mate so one can't see that either. You may/may not want to consider a gauge hat if you feel you can't see the gauge that well during the day (reflection) looks pretty 'finished off' with a gauge hat too. Weird, doesn't look like your centre information (ambient, A/C Radio, Clock) is on. Was the car on or just the lights, never noticed mine off when the instrument cluster is illuminated! Are you running any mods on your ride. FYI I'm getting peaks of about 20psi, holding about 15-16psi (with mods) Gotta connect me EGT gauge sometime too

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Blog Entries

How does it go when you open that lid?

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Looks good mate, I got my two DEFI's in a similar position. I've got a dash mat so that enabled me to penetrate through that and conceal wiring underneath. I mounted the plate on the underside of the dash mate so one can't see that either. You may/may not want to consider a gauge hat if you feel you can't see the gauge that well during the day (reflection) looks pretty 'finished off' with a gauge hat too. Weird, doesn't look like your centre information (ambient, A/C Radio, Clock) is on. Was the car on or just the lights, never noticed mine off when the instrument cluster is illuminated! Are you running any mods on your ride. FYI I'm getting peaks of about 20psi, holding about 15-16psi (with mods) Gotta connect me EGT gauge sometime too
    No mods as yet.. saving up for a corksport FMIC and CPE Downpipe. I have the sun visor thing that came with the gauge just haven't put it on yet. I haven't put any holes in anything yet... the wires just go down in the gap behind the map compartment lid and through a hole in the actual compartment. Double-sided tape seems to be holding ok but I need to find something stronger. No problems opening the lid.

I chose not to put the gauge inside because as a test I drove around with the map compartment open and it drove me nuts.

A downpipe will give you a decent increase in power, but will most likely give you boost spikes such as what I experience due to the location of the cat. In combination with a FMIC I would estimate you would get boost spikes over 24psi (which could be a bad thing) There's been a bit of talk about turbo seals failing and PCV valves and the likes. You may/may not find you might have the "white smoke" problem. Just something to keep in the back of you head should the problem arise. Concealing the wires is always a good thing, looks so much better and less dodgy. You could try those 3m strips, that's what I have on mine, however I'm not sure they stick to the dash all that well. Seems to be a weird surface in that nothing really wants to stick to it, unless you go nasty sticky gooey adhesive. I suppose having the gauge plate mounted on the underside of the mat, that holds it in place anyhow. The tape under the plate is just additional. Hasn't moved since I installed it so I'm happy. Yeah good choice mounting outside the compartment, it would drive most people nuts having it open all the time! Let us know what peak and hold boost you get with the FMIC when you get it on (with the DP installed)

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I'll be placing mine on top of the steering column so it sits between the two main guages, with a matching red dial, out of the sun. It's easy enough to run the wires up the column. Glad you're happy with yours. Chs.

This is how my one looks like:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020892_resize.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	4517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020885_resize.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	4518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020893_resize.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	4519  

There's not that many places to put extra small screen panels and guages in the MPS6 as all the dash area is pretty well shrouded, and many surfaces aren't the right angle, or are too nice to drill holes in, or are at the wrong angle for appropriate viewing.

The RH side of the dash near the air vent is popular and easily viewed, but if you have a Dash Hawk, a boost guage and, say, a smart bit of radar kit and a GPS, then it all starts to add up to lots of bits tacked on here and there and looking a bit daggy if you're not careful, especially if you want to keep your dash top and your top sunglasses/glove locker unsullied. I won't drill holes in my panel work.

Further, I'm not that keen on bright guage lights set high up in my line of vision at night unless they can be dimmed along with the rest of the instruments. Even with the Mazda's nice red panel lights which are the best colour for night vision retention, for night driving I turn everything down as far as possible.

Also remember the pillar airbag can very smartly drive a guage or GPS into your forehead at 200kmh from that nice position near the vent if it is mounted too close to the pillar.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 08-07-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Woops, I have made a couple of comments on here but assumed I uploaded my pics of my install to give you guys some idea on another option. My apologies, didn't notice until now I hadn't! Good point Doug, although I thought the gauge will be low enough to miss the initial explosion and thrust of the airbag, there's always a chance, and with the force I decided against it. Rather as you will see in the images I located two gauges just behind the middle compartment approximately an inch below the window. I can open that compartment the same as before and this way I felt it kept things more symmetrical. I was aiming for the more of a stock look and mounted the plates to the underside of the carpet (hidden) there are no holes anywhere. Hope this helps

M P S

Yeah ROG they look neat enough like that. The dash mat is a good idea. I don't have one for now, mainly as I think most of the mats available are a bit average in their fit and finish. I should get a custom one made. Where do you run your wires through? Glad to see someone else has the symmetry bug too! I hate stuff out of alignment, so all my vent grilles are symmetrically disposed. And I align screw heads when I'm fastening stuff too. Anal but a good characteristic to have.

I got my dash mat from car west in carousel. I've bought a few from them, they're not bad for fit once fastened down (if required) . For about $40 (you can pick the colour) I thought it 'finished' the dash off a bit more.

This might be a bit hard to explain not in person but I'll give it a crack and hopefully it makes sense! As seen in the blurry image below;
    - The wires penetrate the carpet and run between the dash itself and the matting (essentially hidden or coiled up, you'll never notice)
    - The wiring continues on the underside of the matting making its way to the drivers side near the air vent as show in BCMPS images.
    - Once there (this is difficult without image, I might get one sometime) in the door recess there is that rubber seal, push the wiring behind it (conceal) and right directly down under that rubber seal.
    - Then come back across to your left and you will be under the steering column.

I'll try get pics sometime on the weekend to show/explain this better. But in the mean time, open you door and look towards the door hinge up and down. You should see a rubber seal of sorts, imagine slipping wiring behind it to conceal. My sat nav wiring takes a similar route under that rubber seal also.

M P S

Hi ROG, yep I've exploited that seal already. In fact having a mat makes this sort of "neatening up the cable run" a lot easier, and you can get the cable back again if you want to remove the guages without a lot of heartache and panel disfigurement. The other thing I don't mind about a dash-mat, as a concept, is that it stops glare and also prevents stuff from skating off the panel or rattling - not that I ever tolerate stuff on it anyway. They also reduce panel rumble and help stop panels from degrading in this insane heat here and keep the interior of the car cooler, especially with the extreme flatness of windscreens we have now. It also means that you can sit gear like a detector or road camera low down instead of high by the mirror, with velcro hooks on the device sticking it to the mat fabric.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 10-07-2010 at 02:20 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Doug, good so your using the seal I'm talking about already. I find it neatens things up and like you mentioned with regards to matting, saves the headache of removing wires once installed. Spot on about typical glare and dash reflection. A dash mat definitely helps eliminate this as well as protecting the dash from cracking under aussie sun. The good thing about cutting slits in the matting for wiring is, if you do away with the gauges, you will never see the slit in the mat. Another trick I found a while ago too is using a small cable tie around the front vents (demisters) and through the mat. The mat doesn't move around this way, and there's no sticky solutions to be heard of fastening the mat in place. I was never keen sticking any sort of adhesive to the dash preventing movement. Yes, velcro is my friend! Using plenty in the boot with my subwoofer

M P S

Went looking for a mat today. I want to look at some before buying one but there are none in town - all are on a special order. Best model seems to be Sunland (Haigh) though they are more expensive.

I know this is hijacking the thread, kind-of, but seeing we evolved to dash-mats in conjunction with fitting guages, etc. and I've just been out looking for mats, here goes.......

I had a look in a few local auto-shops but there have been no mats in stock for the Mazda 6 that I can look at. I hate buying sight-unseen. I eventually got online with what is supposed to be the best-reported company, Haigh in Q, and this is their Sunland catalogue http://www.haigh.com.au/docs/2010%20...%20Version.pdf

You can get online and print out an order form that you take to the local dealer (Supercheap Auto or similar, other suppliers are listed on the Haigh website)

The Mazda 6 (GG and GY) take a Z41 mat. I ordered a custom setup with a charcoal mat, grey trimmed edges and "MPS" embossed in grey near the LH airbag cover. The grey and charcoal contrast very slightly - I wanted subdued and under-stated.

Having MPS embossed into the dashmat should look great. Be sure to post up some pics when you get it

Yeah that should look pretty sweet. I just have a plain black mat from car west carousel. I preferred the look of the black compared to the grey. Keen to see pics when you get it though

Yeah I pondered about the black but I thought charcoal and grey trim might complement the existing grey trim highlights. We'll see. The mat BTW was $79 stock but $97 customized with a weeks delivery. Price didn't worry me much - they last for years. Other cheaper stock mats (SCA) were about $49. I'l post pics when I get it fitted up, along with boost guage and/or DH.

Another thought - has anyone set up their Prosport boost guage so that the illumination can be dimmed along with the rest of the instrument lights? As these guages are often mounted hight in the line of vision, I think that this is an important requirement. If so, where did you conveniently wire into to achieve this?