User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil banjo bolt - K04

Default Oil banjo bolt - K04

OK well after I puffed a few clouds of smoke (nothing major.. but should not have happened)

im going to make up some oil restrictor bolts for these turbos. The theory is that these turbos are over oiled (ie too much oil pressure) and have issue getting the oil out into the sump, when at idle, die to a slight positive pressure in the crank. This forces the oil past the seals, and bingo, white smoke.. yes its white, not blue.. im not sure why, but ive seen an oil cooled turbo do the same thing.

So this bolt simply restricts a little more flow than the mazda bolt, which is apparently way too large of an orifice.

Oil restrictor bolt install - Mazdaspeed Forums

there is a how to.

If anyone who doesn't have access to a drill press, would like one, I can knock you one up. Its piece of mind just to hold onto one, just in case. 20 bucks should cover it.

Anyway Ill keep yous updated.

Doc

Thanks Doc, good to see someone taking the initiative with the smoke/turbo drama....
    Although ive had no smoke problems, for 20 bucks, im in.
    PM me with payment details.
    Cheers,
    Ad.

I thought the smoking turbo issue related to the fact that the seal tolerances of these turbo's were less than spectacular, probably due to trying to cut a few $$ on production costs?

I can see how this would help though - $20 compared to $800 for a rebuild is very hard to pass up. Do you know what the long term affect on the turbo would be with this mod?

honestly... no..

although apparently alot of rebuilders in the US reccomend 0.065" orifice/restrictor. Compared to the 0.095-0.100" one in there at the moment.

So this will work for the 3 Also..

I havent Noticed any smoke.. but then again when im driving im looking forwards..

May give this a whack.. also...

Just a like dubious about the possible Under oiling.. and if there would be a increase on oil pressure else where in the system?

I draw no conclusions. I dont think it would be under oiling. But I cant promise anything. Im just knocking off someone elses idea.

I dont want to put out any info that is incorrect

Doc

I am wondering if you still any spare Oil banjo bolt for sale?
    Would it be any different compare to the one made by the US guy bnoon? What is size of the bolt?

Im away with work at the moment.. im using some obscure wifi connection that may not last long.. Ive had all hope of getting these done sooner.. however life has been too busy of late.. ill get to them ASAP

same bolt as bnoon..

I guess my underinformed concern would be that at high load/temps there might be a lack of oil. Thus the turbo *might* overheat?

Thanks doc. Plz let us know when ready. Btw your mailbox is full, I can't PM u.

Scaredycrow, you have a valid concern. Probably can read a bit more from

Bnoon Banjo turbo restrictor bolt - Mazdaspeed Forums

Add me to the list.

I have had one of these bolts in for a few months now.. I had similar concerns about reducing the oil supply to the turbo but haven't noticed any negative side effects. The coolant should keep the temps under control.

BTW. the install it easy just make sure you have an 8mm socket with an extension to remove the bolts on the heat shield.. Turns out my 1/2" drive kit only goes down to 10mm!!

my appologies.. I get attacked with PM's sometimes.. lol

Mail box now cleared.. bolts will be at least 3 weeks away.. (when I return)

Jmac, are you smoking bud?

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by BCMPS View Post
    Thanks doc. Plz let us know when ready. Btw your mailbox is full, I can't PM u.

Scaredycrow, you have a valid concern. Probably can read a bit more from

Bnoon Banjo turbo restrictor bolt - Mazdaspeed Forums

Thanks for the references mate, lunch time reading material

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    I have had one of these bolts in for a few months now.. I had similar concerns about reducing the oil supply to the turbo but haven't noticed any negative side effects. The coolant should keep the temps under control.

BTW. the install it easy just make sure you have an 8mm socket with an extension to remove the bolts on the heat shield.. Turns out my 1/2" drive kit only goes down to 10mm!!
    Toddy, so has the bolt fix the smoking issue? Have you also had the PTP pill for the PCV fix?
    GROM iPod & Bluetooth car kit, ETS TMIC, HKS BOV, AEM CAI, Denso ITV-22's, CPE down pipe, Custom Exhaust tip, Hypertech tuned, Bilstein shocks with King Spring, CPE engine mount, CPE rear diff mount, Whiteline rear sway bar, EBC redstuff brake pad, DBA 4000 front slotted rotors, Prosport Boost gauge, JBarone Short Shift Plate

The short answer - it seems to have reduced how often i get smoke.

My car is strange and will randomly smoke. However if i try to make it smoke it won't. i've left it to idle for 30min+ with no smoke. since installing the bolt i get much less smoke. I find that if i let the coolant temp reach 50 degrees before i start to drive and take it very easy until 70 degrees (half way on the gauge) it won't smoke.. its when i dont let it warm up properly that i get a problem.

Haven't tried the PTP pill but did have an oil catch can on that breather line that introduced a similar restriction. Couldn't really tell if it made a difference. I haven't tried the catch can and the restrictor bolt at the same time.

That is good to hear.. I am getting the pill and bolt and hope it will fix my smoke problem after dp installed.
    So is ur smoke blue or white colour? When u say less smoke after installing the bolt, how about the smell? Has the stinky smell reduced?

My smoke is white. the smell is unchanged. when it smokes it still stinks.

I think I saw blue smoke as well...

Not smoking yet but for that price it's good insurance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast