User Tag List

Thread: Mazda 3 MPS - Squeaking :(

Default Mazda 3 MPS - Squeaking :(

Hey all just recently approximately last 2 - 3 weeks my Mazda has developed a squeaking noise coming from around the driveline area.

Originally i thought it was the rear suspension, but now i'm doubtful sound come from transmission area. Happens on initial kick of motor when turning on(sometimes), happens in gear changes both on clutch in and throttle off motion and then the clutch out motion but i can manage it if im very gentle on the clutch out motion. Also has started to happen if i "gently stab" the throttle both on the on and off motions.

Happens over rough roads too...

PLEASE any help would be greatly appreciated as its annoying

James

Any chance this could be engine mount related?

does it do it in teh heat and cold? ..on first thought clutch pedal/clutch master clinder where the 2 meet.. but could be a dry engine mount. try sparying some WD40 on ur workings around the clutch pedal master clinder. work you way around the areas where the sound is coming from until u find it..

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

engine mounts as well

Yeah personally if its anything i hope its the mount, does it in both hot and cold i was going to WD40 once im holidays. I've read that if the mount is dry and brittle that generally means its rooted is this correct?

Thanks guys

I think its just rooted in general mate! Cheap part. If that is the source of the problem you might be better off buying the after market engine mount. A few of the fellas (3owners) seem to think is money well spent. Put in a rear mount in my mates 6 the other day and seemed to make a bit of difference, no existing squeaking though. If the mount is still in reasonable condition, I wonder if instead of a lubricant such as WD-40 if one could use grease?...going out on a limb on that idea!

Yeah was always thinking of doing an Engine Mount CP-E 60 version i think hopefully this does the job will have a look before hand thou. Will put the car on stands in holidays and WD40 and grease it, the rear suspension squeaks a bit if put heavy stuff in hatch, so originally thought was that but realised it probably not since it was happening change up through the gears without much acceleration at all.

Could be clutch related as Luke suggested. I can't comment too much with any degree of accuracy as I own a 6. I would say if use hear the noise under throttle, there is a good chance it could be the mount. If you're already in gear and you accelerate hard and get the noise I don't see how that is related to clutch. But if you're getting the noise in between shifts then it can be clutch related. I know some of the stock parts on the Mazda are rubbish so even by changing the mount I think you would benefit (even if it does not fix the immediate problem) If I were you, the first thing I would do is put the car on stands and spend some time inspecting the mount to see the general condition. Consider grease or a lubricant if you wish, can't hurt and would be a cheap fix if it works. There's no chance its a loose belt? I also got a high pitched squeak which turned out to the the disc guard rubbing on the disc.

I have some suspension issues in my 6. A clicking noise. I lowered the suspension springs and re tightened all the bots thinking the process would have tightened whatever was loose. Nope. My problem lies with the ball joint on the control arm. They are a one use cheap stock part. Considering SPC ball joints which will adjust the camber saving my tyres too.

Are you running a stock suspension set-up?

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Yeah its all stock, my last exam is on thursday so friday its going on stands to have a look see. i might tighten all suspension components too, could hurt plus WD40 them. Thinking about it not sure if the clutch could be the issue, only because if im sitting at the lights and just push in and out with the pedal (i know this really shouldnt be done lol, was just checking) no squeak.

Maybe a belt but sound doesn't seem to come from the right area... This is more like below the centre console.

Not sure if this is going to help, but I just had my turbo replaced and instantly started getting the EXACT same symptoms as your mps. Turns out that the heat-shield for the turbo was contacting the firewall after the mechanics put in the new blower. Fixed under warranty. Might be worth a check, as I repeat, my gen II was doing exactly the same thing.
    Hope this helps

Thanks mate maybe its become dislodged or its changed shape with driving. finally tomorrow i get the change to have a look at everything mentioned above lol.

Well i checked out the car yesterday, the engine mount looks perfect for a stock one, there isn't any sign of wear. Looked at the heat shielding and firewall area there isnt any visible signs of rubbing. Not sure what it is I might have to resort to giving it to mazda and paying a bit for the fix.

Thanks for the help on suggestions. Wasn't 100% sure on where the clutch master cylinder is on any on the clutch things were i got underneath and was like wow, this is so much more confusing then a general I6 ford motor lol.

If i get it fixed ill be sure to tell

I'll bet my left one, that its the exhaust doughnut gasket squeaking, its happened on a number of MPS's, mine included, and every scenario you have described would induce a small amount of engine rock, this is then transferred to the flex section of the exhaust (i.e doughnut gasket), any decent exhaust shop should be able to fix this for you.