User Tag List

Thread: Snow Chains on a Gen II?

Default Snow Chains on a Gen II?

I'm getting my Gen II next week, one accessory I will be looking for is a set of snow chains or possibly a pair of snow tyres.

Has anyone rented/bought a set of chains for a Gen II? Anyone had any issues with finding a set that fits? Some cars can be a real hassle to find a set of chains that won't foul wheel arches/suspension arms so if anyone can comment itll help me a lot.

2. Default

Hey Reedy,

I too would like help with this one. I have a Gen 1 with standard rims/tyres and have checked the owners manual for any info. Unfortunately the manual doesn't give any real info but it doesn't specifically say that you can't fit chains. It does recommend that you contact your Mazda dealer for more info which I have done. They said go ask repco....thanks Mazda. I have spoken to several snow chains suppliers around Melbourne and will be going to Roof Carrier Systems soon to see if they can fit chains to the Mps. He sounded quite doubtful over the phone when I gave him my wheel/tyre specs etc.

I'll let you know how I go.

Blog Entries

Any reason why you couldn't? I thought chains would fit most cars no problem.

There are chains that will fit the tyres ok, it is the inner clearance to the suspension in sports cars that can create problems. There are certain types if chains that are designed to work with this but they can be very expensive. Some are designed with smaller diameter chains that may fit but ultimately, some cars just need a pair of snow tyres.

I have contacted roofrackcity to ask them, I will visit a couple of stores soon as well and see what the experts can share.

Maybe these could be for you?

Tyre Snow Sock UK Weissenfels WeissSock

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

I just have some Konig Branded Snow chains for my Gen 1
    never had to use them

will test fit tonight thou to see how difficult they are.. im heading to the snow on friday..

Tyre socks aren't approved for Australian roads unfortunately.

I had an 07 astra turbo with the standard 18 wheels, and in the handbook it said "snowchains are not to be used on this vehicle" that being said i was still able to fit a set of rental chains on no problems at all and they didnt mark the rims.

I would think the mps will be fine

Marking the rims is not a problem, it is inner wheel clearance to the suspension components that is.

Other option is to get a pair of snow tyres but that is a much bigger thing to lug around than a set of snow chains.

Well I eventually got this issue sorted out. Basically a Gen II owner has one of 2 options:

1) Get a smaller set of wheels/tyres (This is what the user manual suggests) that will fit snow chains.
    The reason you can't use traditional snow chains on the MPS with the 225/40/R18 tyres is because there is only a 1cm (max) gap between the inner tyre wall and the front suspension arm. While there are some varieties of snow chains that theoretically have a smaller profile, there is no margin for error if you use them.

2) Get a set of Konig K-Summit chains http://www.konig.it/SchedaProd.aspx?ID=920
    (This is what I did)
    These fit around the outside of the tyre and clamp on to one of your wheel nuts. Theyre expensive tho, they cost about $600 to buy new.
    Main thing to note is the size of your wheel nuts, the chains come standard with 17mm and 19mm wheel nut adapters, but Mazda use 21mm nuts. The adapters to fit these need to be bought separately so bear that in mind.
    I bought them from RoofRackCity.

So there you have it, an expensive, but proper solution to fitting snow chains to a Gen II running stock tyres.

Park yer Maz at the bottom of ze hill, sling yer skis over yer shoulder...

stick out yer thumb !

What and then have to ride the rest of the way in a strangers shitty Subaru?! Hells no!

End to this saga, while at the snow a couple of weeks ago, it snowed heavily (see my avatar), I slapped my chains on, and drove back to town in the comfort of my own car. It was a lot easier than hitch hiking. These chains might be expensive, but 15 seconds per wheel to fit them makes it worth the cost, driving past dozens of people who are stranded because they can't fit their shitty hire chains was a good feeling.

12. Default

I solve this problem by the +1 having a Forrester that doesn't actually require chains but has a set purchased on ebay for 60 bucks. In addition skis, poles, boots and gear all fits easily with no racks required. I head to the snow every second weekend and the MPS stays in the garage, avoiding stone chips and salted roads.