User Tag List

Thread: Change your oil!!!

Default Change your oil!!!

Hey guys, My 2010 mps has 4900kms on it.
    Had it taken in to have the oil dumped today. (not mazda dealer)
    he couldnt believe how bad the oil was. he said it was black!
    Dont wait untill 10,000kms.
    Its not worth it!!!

Yeah i do agree,

Especially if the dealer didn't do an oil change at the first 1000km service. I know some dealers change the oil and some don't. Its always best to get it changed at the 1000km mark and if it wasn't it might be pretty crappy by 10,000kms.

In the UK an MPS has its first oil change at 3K miles (4,800 km) and then at 9K miles (14,400 Km). Then its every 14,400km or 12 months. I don't understand why your regime is more strict.

i just had my 20k service and the guy who changed my oil said the same thing

Don't let the appearance put you off. It's supposed to be black, it means the oil is doing its job well and is not a sign that it needs to be changed. Over servicing can be harmful to a modern engine, especially DI engines which often suffer from heavy internal contamination when fresh oil is introduced.

To answer your question foxy, Australia has been adversely influenced by the marketing tactics propagated by american oil companies which have fabricated the myth that frequent oil changes are better for your engine.

That is interesting. The only other explanation I could think of is that Australia has to cope with much higher temperatures and dust especially in the desert areas and the north. If that is so, the oil change regime is probably OTT in the south.