User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPS Tech Specs?

1. Default MPS Tech Specs?

Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum and havent been able to find any decent answers from people about my first gen mazda 3 mps.

It is currently compleatly stock and I have a few question as I plan to begin modding in the next 6 to 12 months.

Firstly - Stock engine capabilities.

- What rating is the staandard Ko4 turbo? compresser and exaust size as well as effiency ratings. is the turbo steal turbine and ball bearing?

- Standard intercoolelr - whats it rated to

- standard boost from engine - is it computer controlled?

- Block - What boost level if maintained constently can the block handel before going bang?

- are the pistons and rods forged from factory? (i had someone tell me they were)

My goal is 320 hp ATW and no more. I would like to keep its streetable as quiet as possible (im all about the sleeper)

I know these questions get asked all the time but if you guys could help me that would be great. Cheers!

Aaron
    Last edited by Aaron; 18-06-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Thats 240kw at the wheels. For a FWD its a little too much in my opinion.....1st & 2nd gears would be useless & i dont see the point of that.
    But at the end of the day, its your car , so, GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Thats 240kw at the wheels. For a FWD its a little too much in my opinion.....1st & 2nd gears would be useless & i dont see the point of that.
    But at the end of the day, its your car , so, GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!
    gotta agree with that ^
    getting 240kw atw (~290kw at flywheel) from a 2.3L 4-cylinder FWD car, i dont see how you are going to keep it quiet pumping that much grunt out of an engine...

i asked a very similar sort of question here: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...vice-mods.html so hopefully this will help you out =)

If you chasing power figures like that might I suggest a decent tyre-to-rim setup giving you more traction enabling you to get some usable power to the ground.

Based on your goal figure of around 320HP, obviously you will need a fair bit of work.

The K04 turbo I believe is only good for around 18psi (based on peak effectiveness, I will happily stand corrected on that one though) anything higher than 18psi and you want to look into a bigger turbo maybe something along the lines of a "stage 1 kit" from http://bnrsupercars.com/

Stock engine capabilities, as far as I know the MPS engine is forged from stock, however there are weak points such as the pistons, rings, rods etc that may require modification to handle that increase of power. You would have to look into that more as I don't have the precise information. Members seem to have issues when approaching 22-24psi typically

Standard intercooler will have to be upgraded, most likely to a FMIC enabling you to 'up' the standard 15 pounds boost the MPS produces stock. Compliment your system with a decent CAI or SRI and an upgraded TIP to give you the best results and compliment all the mods installed. Not sure on the 3MPS but I do know in the 6 the boost is electronically limited in 1st and I think 2nd gear too. Somewhere around 13psi in first gear *I think* 3rd gear gives me 15-16 pounds (stock intercooler) and peaks of 20psi based on my setup (refer signature)

Check out MPS Garage for info on forged rods, pistons and other mods.

You will definitely want to go a DP as well and a tune to give you anywhere close to the figures you're chasing. The exhaust may be an idea although probably minimal gains to be made there. Mufflers are optional to how much noise you want really.

Also check out suspension-theory-basics and look into getting a decent suspension setup to compliment your new found power and keep her on the road a little better

Hope that gives you a bit of info

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

5. Default

Not sure on the 3MPS but I do know in the 6 the boost is electronically limited in 1st and I think 2nd gear too.

Is that correct, I thought nothing was limited in the 6 only the 3

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Not sure on the 3MPS but I do know in the 6 the boost is electronically limited in 1st and I think 2nd gear too.

Is that correct, I thought nothing was limited in the 6 only the 3
    Have you got a boost gauge BB? I got my "peak" warning set at 16psi and I never see it flash on launch. Even when I plant it to the floor, I seem to get about 12-13psi (hard to tell exactly as its quick) but I'm pretty sure its electronically limited. Happy to be corrected but I think its a safety feature. You may be correct but I never see anywhere near 15-16 pounds in 1st gear

"A GKN limited slip differential is standard, along with a six-speed manual transmission, anti-lock brakes, traction control and dynamic stability control. No automatic transmission option has yet been offered. To limit wheel slip, boost in the first gear will be limited to produce a maximum of 230 hp (170 kW), boost in second gear is also limited. The amount of boost reduction is determined by the gear selection and steering angle. There is no reduction of boost third or above." - Mazdaspeed3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

7. Default

I dont have a boost gauge or anything fancy I just drive. But I was positive there are no limitations in the 6 in 1st and 2nd gear like there is in the 3

The boost would be electronically limited in the same way for most modern turboed cars, the MPS6 being in same category. Having said that, at 15PSI (or just over 1 atmosphere) is hardly a *limitation* ROFL. If you are seeing levels of 12PSI or 13PSI in 1st, then it's not limited. I thought impression being given was it was limited to say half an atmosphere, but that isnt the case.

ps ....240kW @ front wheels....something's gonna go *BANG* before long.
    Last edited by lucifuge; 18-06-2010 at 01:31 PM.

I can look into it further but there are plenty of suggestions just on a google search that support the theory. Here's a few I've found, hard to find info on the 6! The 3 is definitely limited. The difference of limitation (if any) between the 3 and 6 I'm not sure. At the end of the day I'm getting peak boost values of 20psi and holding at 15-16 in 3rd gear. Not the same story in 1st gear...

http://forums.fastfours.com.au/showthread.php?t=58185 - scroll about 3/4 down the thread

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=0&fID=1&tID=75399 - a comment on limiting boost on turbo cars (1st)

M P S

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum and havent been able to find any decent answers from people about my first gen mazda 3 mps.

It is currently compleatly stock and I have a few question as I plan to begin modding in the next 6 to 12 months.

Firstly - Stock engine capabilities.

- What rating is the staandard Ko4 turbo? compresser and exaust size as well as effiency ratings. is the turbo steal turbine and ball bearing?

- Block - What boost level if maintained constently can the block handel before going bang?

- are the pistons and rods forged from factory? (i had someone tell me they were)

My goal is 320 hp ATW and no more. I would like to keep its streetable as quiet as possible (im all about the sleeper)

I know these questions get asked all the time but if you guys could help me that would be great. Cheers!

Aaron

Hi Aaron and welcome!

You will definitely be able to find more detailed info on these questions on the forum.

Some good answers already, here are mine to the best of my ability

I believe that if you ran 20PSI you would be at the efficiency ceiling, about 18PSI seems to be the sweet spot

There are some members with up to 200FWKW with standard cooler, though there are good gains to be had with aftermarket units in terms of less pressure drop across the core, and better temps
    More info here ->http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...tercooler.html

For the 3, yes.
    about 14.7PSI above 2nd gear

Im not the best person to answer this question.. you would be wanting to upgrade rods long before upping the boost to anywhere near bang bang territory.

Here is some more info
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...big-power.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...3-t-stand.html

They are forged, but something about the process being different to true forging..
    Im pretty sure Matt has some good info on this one

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Jmac; 18-06-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

They are forged, but something about the process being different to true forging..
    Im pretty sure Matt has some good info on this one

Forged!?? from factory

Fast Fours Forums - View Single Post - Any Mods for Mazda 6 ??
    "AFAIK its not a torque limiter - its a boost limiter so that the car doesnt run full boost in 1st gear to aviod wheelspin"

Fast Fours Forums - View Single Post - Any Mods for Mazda 6 ??

"As said above, its a boost limited that isn't present in the MPS6 as much as it is in the MPS3, however it still is present."

13. Default Maby I was a little to ambitious wanting 320hp :)

Thanks all seems like a bucket load of info out there, I was hoping that the block could handl that sort of power, I dont really want to crack the engin open... been there and done it with an sr20 180sx and i vowed id never spend that much money on a car again ,

Are the MPS running @ 18psi safe on the block and turbo? also will i be able to avoid upgrading fuel pump and injectors.....

I deff will do sri, cooler and exaust.... with baffled mufflers love my quiet go go

Also on the topic of bovs... can you use a full atmo with out the car backfiring.? or does the computer need it to be plumbed back.

Maby I was a little ambitious thinkink that 320 hp is ok lol....

have I would like it to put away the average skyline running 15psi

cheers

Running the MPS at 18 pounds should be ok (obviously more stress than if the car was stock and 15psi) From what I've heard its 22-24psi when you start sweating and praying

You can avoid upgrading fuel pump and injectors, but it depends how far you want to go. If you heavily modify everything else then it would be the fuel pump, injectors and other things letting you down. I would say leaving them should be fine enough for basic mods.

I've got a Turbosmart Dual Port BOV on mine. When 50/50 I get a few back fires so I can imagine full vent (if possible) would be worse. I've actually got it blanked atm cause I think general performance with it 50/50 is crap. Crap-all response after shifting, waiting for boost etc

I took on a skyline (modded) when my car was stock. Naturally he pulled away. The other day I left behind a Brand new Holden SS ute in the dry and I know he was going for it (maybe he couldn't drive though) Keeping in mind they're some 270odd kW the engine is more than twice the size and at the time my car probably weighed more than his! My car isn't even heavily modified, so I don't think have too many dramas mate. Depending on how much coin the chap next to you has under his bonnet. I know a guy with a 200SX heavily worked. Easily leave any member on here in the dust (he's also got NOS)

M P S

Contrary to what most people are saying, 320HP should be relatively easy. The turbo is your bottle neck, put a GT3076 on there and a tune and that should be enough. Anyone who says the standard turbo can do 18PSI is wrong. It's just too small. I also have a heavily modified SR20, so I know what your talking about with the 180SX. The graph below is a run I did with my MPS6. It shows the car reaching full boost at around 3000 RPM. The waste gate then opens to try to hold it there, but it cant for long and is fully closed again by 5000RPM. You can see the boost then quickly drops to around 12 PSI just above 6000 RPM. These are the signs of a turbo that is to small to make good power. You should never get to a point where you waste gate is completely shut, you turbo should always have more on tap. Put a decent turbo on and the power will be there.

- What rating is the standard Ko4 turbo? compresser and exaust size as well as effiency ratings. is the turbo steal turbine and ball bearing?

The wheels are steel, not ball bearing, although you can get it hi-flowed and BB shafts fitted.
    I believe its 17-18psi also, with supprting mods, SRI, DP and tune

You can produce 205-210kw ATW with the std TMIC

limited 1,2 and 3. 14.7psi is std although it can spike above this.

- Block - What boost level if maintained constently can the block handle before going bang?

Rumours............ There are std internal motors in the USA running 22-24psi, how long ???? There are also full std cars blowing motors too ??? Did you get a Monday build or Friday build?

The process is called "Powder Forged"

Easily acheivable, as posted above, get a 30/76r, SRI, DP and tune, run the exhaust through some quality mufflers into the std rear resonator. Easily kept quiet.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

sell him you gt2871 set up. if u still have it or selling it? hehehe .. i went the upraged k04 route with garret gt28 internals bnr turbo. they say i can 320 hp, but at what psi hmm

Hello just wonderig does the 3076R bolt strait up or do you need to change manifold etc??????

You can get a modifed 3076 from ATP with the correct bolt pattern, otherwise, yeah, it's a new manifold jobbie.

3071 or 2871..

unless you want to spool on the limiter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast