User Tag List

Thread: K&N Stock Replacement Air Filter.............Any good?

Default K&N Stock Replacement Air Filter.............Any good?

Thinking of replacing the filter in the gen II, But dont want to go down the CAI or SRI route at the moment.

Would one of these make any difference?

Does anyone have one in their car at the moment?

they add a bit. i know in my gen 1 there is a couple of restrictive plastic inatke piping stuff that when removed helped the filter work a bit better .. im thinking of modding my old air box and running the k&n again. but love the extra power of the cai... (police will love me even more when they stop me with the cai)
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

I have it in my Gen II.
    I put it in after 500kms and as I didnt drive my car to silly when I first got it I cant say if there is any difference in performance.
    I have no issues with it what so ever and after 12000kms it still looks pretty clean.
    hope this helps

If you look at the design of the filter itself on the basis of using oil to catch contaminates rather than a thicker restrictive paper filter it becomes evident that the K&N will allow a faster flow of air through it than a generic paper panel filter. Think of the K&N as a bigger straw to suck your delicious chocolate milkshake. The bigger the straw the more num nums! Ok bad example! There will be a difference, whether or not that will be noticeable I would say not really. I would save come coin until you can get a larger surface area filter such as a pod in the form of your preference SRI or CAI as K&N's are not cheap

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

ive actually just ordered some K&N super hybrid panel filter. not expecting much from it - but ill let you know how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Think of the K&N as a bigger straw to suck your delicious chocolate milkshake. The bigger the straw the more num nums!
    Thanks for the replys guys, especially you rogwick you paint a brilliant picture!

I'm now off to the shops to buy a chocolate milkshake.

I am thinking of replacing the air filter on my Gen 2 MPS with a K&N Panel filter, was just wondering does it make the car sound any different or make the bov any louder?

nope - ive got one currently fitted and the car is silent - never heard it spool or the BOV either. Just the way the factory intended it!

its just a filter, the stock baffling wont let any sound through :P

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

I did notice a slight increase in sound but worth mensioning........................................ ..........

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    I did notice a slight increase in sound but worth mensioning........................................ ..........
    Think it might be in your head luke, ive swapped panel filters in previous cars and not noticed a thing .
    Mazda engineers spent countless hours making it silent, dont think the material of the filter has much to do with it
    I think your change was more due to the hole in the side of the box.

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

I have the K&n air filter. I also removed the restrictive plastic bits. I think it goes better!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Think it might be in your head luke, ive swapped panel filters in previous cars and not noticed a thing .
    Mazda engineers spent countless hours making it silent, dont think the material of the filter has much to do with it
    I think your change was more due to the hole in the side of the box.

I had the filter in before the airbox mod. had it here from the black car
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

14. Default

Hi all,
    I am thinking about replacing the oem air filter with the k&n panel filter in my gen2 mps.
    Is there any chance I could get a CEL.If so I won't bother I have had enough of these.
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Hi there's very low to nil chance of a CEL just from filter change. The only thing I can think of with K+N filters is that need to be careful about the cleaning process. If they are over-oiled when cleaned then you can end up with oil residue getting deposited on the MAF sensor, which can introduce issues.

I've got a BK and BL, with the BK hosting a few mods and never had a CEL - I have heard the BL is a bit more of a princess when modding and much more inclined to throw CEL...
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.