User Tag List

Thread: K&N SRI on gen 2 3 mps any cel?

Default K&N SRI on gen 2 3 mps any cel?

Hi everyone,
    Im thinking about getting a K&N Typhoon SRI (Part No.69-6012ts) for the gen 2 3 mps, wondering if others who have this are getting cel's and general opinion of the K&N intake, also what tip are you using with the K&N intake?

thanks in advance for you help and advice.

Hey mate

I cannot speak for anyone else but i favour an SRI over a CAI if you live anywhere with high rainfall. As for a K&N SRI itself i heard they are fairly expensive (last time i checked near 400 AUD). Hit up DISIMS3 he sells the MZR SRI and i have the exact same one on my car and i love it.

Use the search and see what numbers guys are pulling, i don't know of a gen 2 guy running a CAI, all are on SRI's.

My 2 bob
    TEAM EMO BLISS...When we cut ourselves.. we bleed AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by MPShiv View Post
    , i don't know of a gen 2 guy running a CAI, all are on SRI's.

My 2 bob
    gen 2 here and i have the cp-e cai.

but yeh forget the kn one....get the mzr one....much cheaper

Hey mate I've got a CAI on my 6 so a little different but a little info on it any way

The K&N SRI looks great but the design is more of a generic one to suit many cars. IMO you would be better off going for a product designed or better suited to fit your ride. The MZR intake looks pretty good and as suggested, chase up DISIMS3. Doing this, or considering a CP-E CAI will less likely give you a CEL as most of us have had no problems as they are more so designed for this vehicle. The fitments may also be better? I don't see why the K&N SRI would throw a CEL but I would say its more likely to than the MZR. Another point is that a lot of members have the MZR with no problems and I believe it is cheaper. If you so wish, grab a K&N hi-flow pod which is what I got on my CAI and use that in conjunction with the inlet pipe.

Check this for more info

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...e-gen-2-a.html

If you're feeling creative get MZR, paint it and you can't paint a K&N logo on or something. That would look sweet, similar to

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...ips-ideas.html

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

My C.E.S SRI came with a K&N filter

6. Default

Yes i have brought 1 off e-bay from USA,
    NO cel
    Great horsepower increase.

P.S checkout
    http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ke-gen2-52455/
    Last edited by mazda3mps; 17-06-2010 at 03:14 PM.

7. Default

Not really on topic but it is on topic.

No one is really sure why Gen 2 MPS's are having issues with CEL's when a new intake is fitted. People have had issues with basically every intake.

If you are worried about a CEL don't get an intake yet. Wait 6 months until the hysteria drops down and some answers are found.

In saying this I would look at the bigger American companies like CPE and Cobb. They have sold a lot more and would have received a lot more feedback. This should mean they are looking for fixes if their products are causing a CEL. And to be honest the only benefit of an intake is the induction noise. I believe that in the first 2 weeks or so you will get an increase in power but then the ECU adapts and you lose it. This is from experience, I have seen this 3 times with my car.

The LTFT on the gen 2's are a lot more finicky. What you would see as 10% on a gen 1.. is almost 20% ona gen 2.

and then bingo CEL

K&N panel filter is expensive ,and will not give any significant benefits ,other than longevity of product. My gen 1 did IMO benefit ,but my Gen 2 did not.
    Refer prev advice from crusher-13.

Gen 2 reworked ECU is way more finicky with mods.

Quote Originally Posted by MPShiv View Post
    Hey mate

I cannot speak for anyone else but i favour an SRI over a CAI if you live anywhere with high rainfall. As for a K&N SRI itself i heard they are fairly expensive (last time i checked near 400 AUD). Hit up DISIMS3 he sells the MZR SRI and i have the exact same one on my car and i love it.

Use the search and see what numbers guys are pulling, i don't know of a gen 2 guy running a CAI, all are on SRI's.

My 2 bob
    Hi Thanks for your advice, I tried to send a PM to DISIMS3 but his mail box is full, mabe if he reads this he can get in touch with me with regard to price and availability.

Cheers.

I have the MZR SRI and not had any CEL on at all.

Had the MZR SRI fitted yesterday by DISIMS3 (took him about 15-20 minutes) and done 200km's since and works a dream. Money well spent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	June 2010 Motosho&#.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	4446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	June 2010 Motosho&#.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	4447  

Good news Mickyj and Logan . Keep your fingers crossed ,these gen 2 are very tempremental ( Dont seem to like being touched up)

The factory Airbox on the Gen2 is supposedly way awesomer than the Gen1..

wouldnt take much to be awesomer thou.. since the Gen1 Airbox has a smaller pre filter intake hole than a post filter exhaust hole (ie where the MAF is)

6,000 km's with this MZR SRI and no CEL......speaks for itself in my opinion.

If you buy a SRI for one reason only then that reason should be induction noise, it's beautiful!!!