User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SRI vs CAI

Default SRI vs CAI

Ok I can't seem to find any discussion on this so thought I would start one myself.
    What is everyone's opinion on SRI (short ram intake) vs CAI (cold air intake) and who has what and what brand.
    I have heard a lot of people have SRI with an air box and a lot have CAI what seems to be the best and waht brand.
    Also what are the Pro's and Con's of both?

I have neither the boys a Allstar Tuning at Brendale modified my airbox by drilling a big hole on the side and re directed the plastic tube on the otherside and gave me 20kwatw. Best bang for buck

Pro's and Con's cost me less than $100 for everything and it keeps it looking standard.

SRI is cheaper than CAI, CAI is probably better.
    But i know ive been stuck before in pissing down rain and the roads have flooded.
    CAI could possibly suck water up and create hydrolock. wasnt worth the risk to me for the minimal gains.

just on the hydrolock issue, Im still running the factory air box with k&N panel.

about 2 weeks ago i was driving in very wet conditions and when i got home i looked under the bonnet and my standard air box had water on it.

Wonder what would have happend if i had a SRI. (im still looking at getting an sri by the way but im going to be myself when it rains hard)

Generally they're the same thing each with their own pro's and cons. There is a bit of info in the linked thread below if you wish to have a read. Scroll down to the comments I made over a discussion with another member. Hope that helps

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/new-m...tml#post112131

Default Re: SRI vs CAI

I've been looking at the same question when I wanted to upgrade from the stock air box. Was very tempted to get the CAI but after reading some post's in America it was only at high speed's (around 150 +) so I decided to get a SRI and I love the sound it makes. If you check the thread about all star dyno day, have a look at my second run at dyno. That's just stock with a SRI.

For Sizzle

Ok so the debate is pretty varied.....
    I am a little worried about the water problem as last thing I want is to harm my car in anyway, I would rather leave it stock (but in all honesty who wants that)
    So I came upon this in the forums and was wondering if this would possibly be a safer way to go and avoid any water problems.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...e-mps-6-a.html

Ces sri ftw

I haven't experienced any problems with my CAI with the K&N oiled filter. My mate got a CEL with his CAI using the dry-flow paper filter. I would say don't leave it stock!

Enclosing the pod is a good idea and as far as I know that ensures it is legal. As far as that goes its a pretty good idea. If you decide to go with the CAI you can always do what I've done on mine (see below) That was a write-up by chris, I've got something similar just used different materials.

At the end of the day CAI will give you cooler air, the SRI will give you less chance of a problem. It all depends how much DIY work you want to do. IMO - the best option would be a CAI, guard on the wheel arch louvre and a water shield fitted on top of the pod. That way you shouldn't get any problems unless you intend to cross a river, and it would give you the best outcome in terms of looks, performance and cold air induction. (Keep in mind SRI's are cheaper if that helps at all)

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...er-shield.html

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Most of the CAI and SRI mods seem easy enough to do myself or so it would seem (I have been wrong before)
    And money is not the issue, thats if the money spent makes the mod worth the price.
    I also want to get the best sounding option as I intend to get the cp-e 3" DP and exhaust and also Turbosmart Dual Port BOV set to recirc, which I believe is still aduible with a mod intake, is that for both the SRI and CAI?
    I am guessing I would have to hear what the sounds are like from other MPS with the BOV set at recir and 50/50 with intake, from what I am gathering there is more problems with the BOV set to 50/50 then recirc?

Mate if you want check out

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...ips-ideas.html

I just done a thread of my ride and what I've on it. Have a read for some info if you like. In response to your question though both SRI and CAI will work brilliantly in conjunction with exhaust etc. If you want the best sounding option that can vary on your choice of filter. I have the K&N on mine which makes a slightly different and deeper sound. At high RPM it doesn't sound high pitched and tinny (hard to explain) The K&N sounds more grunty. The filter itself gives more grunt IMO than the paper filter, more noticeable at high RPM, the car just wanted to go and go. It is also larger than the dry-flow.

I get a pretty decent flutter which you would love in between shifts but more noticable when you come on to about 5PSI and release the throttle easy (about 5th gear works best). Sort of sounds like a waste gate. Sounds really similar to this

Yes it would be easy enough to install your self. The CAI might be harder as it was really designed for the Mazdaspeed6 you may have to trim the plate to miss the a/c gas pipework. Having the Turbosmart BOV would be fine (as I have it) 50/50 gives small back fires between shifts as the air/fuel mix is thrown out of wack due to it venting pressure. I also find its somewhat hard to make boost after shifting. Blank it and its much easier to come onto boost IMO anyway. Running in recirc would be better, unless you want some "tish" sound

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Nah if the sound is close to what the Megane is that would be perfect, its nocticable but its not over the top or to lowd, and won't draw tomuch unwanted attention.

Funny you say that cause as far as exhaust goes, mine would pretty much be the same as the clip. It's noticable when your near it, noticable on heavy throttle, but when cruising its quiet and you can't hear me coming down the street like Barry in his Skyrine I have 2 resonators on mine so that does help with drone and overall noise. The flutter is only really noticeable on slow changes or if you ease off throttle in about 5th gear, I get head turns every time I do it, lol funny! When I cruise next to my mate in his 6 we chuck it in 5th gear, set cruise and manually accelerate (using cruise) and backing off at about 5PSI and you get the same flutter noise as you hear with the megane.

Just to note, don't quote me on this but I would say the CAI is slightly louder than a SRI. Reason being the sound of the SRI is deadened under the bonnet and side panel. The CAI sits near the wheel arch and is probably not as closed in or sealed as the SRI. In saying that I could be wrong I don't have an SRI?!

M P S

There is a youtube video I'm sure everyone has seen it with the EVLMPS, that exhaust I really like whilst under rev it almost growls like a REX (best thing about a rex.....well they are ok but way to common) I would just love to hear what it sounds like just normal driving.
    I will slowly get all my mods together and do them all in one hit...........

I've always liked the sound of the Varex muffler...ooooh. In this case a Remote controlled Varex Muffler with a 3" Turbo back exhaust

that does sound pretty awesome.......excuse me im new to the turbo world, not the modified car world, but Remote controlled....how does this work (obviously a remote of some sort but)
    Sounds tuff

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Awesome idea if it does what I think it does.........

I think he has installed a button located somewhere inside the cabin (dash mounted) which when depressed activates a small motor connected to a shaft linking to a valve in the muffler. Probably altering the path of exhaust gases and thus producing an alternate tone. To put it short, similar to a butterfly valve in some expensive sports cars. He appears to have converted away from the dual exhaust and using a single pipe-run into a single muffler. I guess if its late at night or you're starting the car somewhere you don't want it to make noise flick the switch and it'l be quiet.

M P S

just googled it, it sells for between 400-500, it has a small remote control not unlik a garage opener and has a butterfly valve, they tested it on a STI you can run it from a cigarette lighter (tacky) or can have it hard wired in, it could be a very good option....attention when needed and none when not needed

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Spareco, 19 Randell St, Slacks Creek 4127, 07 3808 9388
    For anyone interested in the product, seems to be a fairly reputable product, will do some more homework i think.

Yeah, I thought it would be cool when I first saw the video ages ago. I would definitely hard-wire it in though! Would be interesting to see that car driving through the gears inside and outside the car noises, down shifting etc

X-Force
    Website with more info...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast