User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting VVT actuator replaced is there anything else I should have done?

Default I'm getting VVT actuator replaced is there anything else I should have done?

Hi all, I've got my '06 MPS6 booked in to have the VVT Actuator replaced at a cost of $1500 at a mazda dealer here in Perth.

I'm just wondering if I should have the boys at Mazda do anything else whilst they have the engine apart putting in the new VVT actuator??

Given my lack of mechanical knowledge I'm at the mercy of the Mazda dealer I'm going to so just want to make sure I don't get fuc*ed over. I'd just be pissed if 6 months down the track they tell me I should have done such and such at the time of getting the actuator replaced.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Fletch

Is mazda paying for it?

Hi FLETCH, I'd be interested to see any photos or mechanic's summary of the work undertaken, just for future reference. Can you scan and post the (relevant parts of the) Mazda invoice when it is completed please? It will form an interesting base for future reference for others. Anyway, how come this work is required? Did something come apart or go out of spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Hi FLETCH, I'd be interested to see any photos or mechanic's summary of the work undertaken, just for future reference. Can you scan and post the (relevant parts of the) Mazda invoice when it is completed please? It will form an interesting base for future reference for others. Anyway, how come this work is required? Did something come apart or go out of spec?
    Info's here Doug, was a common problem on some DISI engines

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...-cx7-2-3t.html
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Thx Chris. Read and saved TSB in my library

Nope mazda won't cover it as car is out of warranty. They tell me if the VVT actuator gets to the point of failure I'm up for a 6K engine rebuild.

quick question, how do you tell whether a 3MPS may be affected by the VVT issue? To me it sounds like a noisy engine, but I haven't been able to compare it to any other 3's .

Since I purchased mine used, I'm unsure if it's been replaced already.

Huh? Full rebuild? I don't think so .. From memory it's a $60 part and can be replaced in an hour or so.. Mine was done same day

@ darkness.. A nasty rattle at start up.

Blog Entries

$1500 VVT actuator install? ?
    "Replaced in an hour or so..."
    That can't possibly be a service of $1500 value.
    I'm wondering if a dealer somewhere has just gotten themselves in deep doodoo.

Belay that, according to the TSB chris posted its 4.5 hours worth of work...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Belay that, according to the TSB chris posted its 4.5 hours worth of work...
    So that's what, a $750 actuator at least? $600 I suppose if they charge @ $200/hr

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Huh? Full rebuild? I don't think so .. From memory it's a $60 part and can be replaced in an hour or so.. Mine was done same day

@ darkness.. A nasty rattle at start up.
    Not sure where you are getting your info...I was told it takes 6 hours? I'll print out the TSB and take it in with me and will ask for a detailed invoice. I was hoping someone else who has paid to have their actuator replaced could confirm the price they paid.

The TSB says 4.5 hours at the bottom...
    I dropped mine into Tom Kerr @ 7am and picked it up at about 2 with no issues.
    From the TSB it looks like they only have to take the head off to replace.. Id be finding out how much the part costs - $1500 sounds a bit steep. Though mine was done under warranty.

Alternately you could buy this Darrell Cox Racing - DCR VVT Actuator (Powered by CubeCart) for less than $300.

Is stronger than the oem vvt actuator, and then get an independant mechanic to fit it for probably a hell of a lot less.

Are the VINs in the TSB North American ones? I can't find any similar number on mine.

I was quoted $240 by mpsgarage to replace this.

I had my car in to a Mazda dealer on Friday of last week to have the actuator replaced ended up costing me $1100 and the rattle is still there.

I actually had two different rattle noises one was the clunky diesel type rattle everyone speaks about and I also had a more of a higher pitched rattle which sounded like a loose bracket or something. The higher pitched rattle has gone but the horrid diesel rattle is still there on cold starts.

I'm a bit annoyed at this as I was under the impression replacing the VVT actuator would totally fix the noises- prior to leaving the dealership I got the service advisor to come out and he didn't have bugger all to say about it other than to give it a few cold starts to see if it corrects itself!!!

I'm thinking of calling the service manager to speak about options to get this sorted out properly as I'm not happy with the results.

Blog Entries

May I suggest tearing strips off them - IN A NICE WAY. You have had the vehicle in for a $1,100 service and the specific symptom that it was serviced for is still evident.
    That's grounds to complain, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I had my car in to a Mazda dealer on Friday of last week to have the actuator replaced ended up costing me $1100 and the rattle is still there.

I actually had two different rattle noises one was the clunky diesel type rattle everyone speaks about and I also had a more of a higher pitched rattle which sounded like a loose bracket or something. The higher pitched rattle has gone but the horrid diesel rattle is still there on cold starts.

I'm a bit annoyed at this as I was under the impression replacing the VVT actuator would totally fix the noises- prior to leaving the dealership I got the service advisor to come out and he didn't have bugger all to say about it other than to give it a few cold starts to see if it corrects itself!!!

I'm thinking of calling the service manager to speak about options to get this sorted out properly as I'm not happy with the results.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Get one from DCR in the states, 250 bucks and has hardend internials and tell mazda to suck a phat one.

Quote Originally Posted by VGP View Post
    I was quoted $240 by mpsgarage to replace this.
    Well it looks like MPSGARAGE are going to reneg on this quote.

Daniel quoted me the price over the phone, then when I tried several times to get it booked in, often promised that I'd get a call back.
    I finally got in touch with them and was told by Aaron that the price has now jumped to $750, claiming he had "no idea where that other price came from".

PATHETIC service on their part.
    ^^^The message is up there stupid^^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast