User Tag List

Thread: Experienced MPS drivers in Brisbane

Default Experienced MPS drivers in Brisbane

Not sure if this is the best place to post or not.
    I have just recently Purchased an 07 MPS 3 in black, It had 36 300 on the clock, the guy wanted 29k for it a tad above my budget. After about 3 weeks of talking back and fourth I managed to get him down to 23k (he had to move to melbourne pronto, it was sell to me or to a dealer, I picked it up on a friday he had the removalist there, he left the next day)
    So first thing is I feel I got a good deal
    Ok now for the reason of my post, I was wondering if there were any MPS drivers in the Brisbane areae who have had plenty of experience with the cars, reason being I would love to catch up with some and see if they can pick anything they think may be wrong. As this is my first turbo car I am still reletively new at everything, I have read plenty of forums in the last 2 weeks and have found a few little things out there that are common. The car will still be under warranty as it was first purchased in 10month 07, and before I take it to a mazda dealer I would love to have somebody who has been around a bit possibly take mine for a drive and maybe point out anything needing attention. The car was in storage for 5 months before I got it, as the guy had been over seas and had bought himself a wrx (his loss my gain), So the car is due for a service, it has been over 12months since it has been serviced and would like to go into mazda and not have the wool pulled over my eyes.

Sorry for the large post, I am very excited about my new aquisition, had it checked out by mechanic before I bought it but would love to be aware before i get it serviced.

Cheers Ski

G'day, I'd be checking the books to ensure it has been regularly serviced prior to your purchase, as this can/may affect any future warranty claim.

Has the car been modified in any way shape or form? Eg. Intake/Exhaust/Chip?

The main problem with the Gen I MPS3 was that of a "Smoking Turbo". This is evident after the car is left to idle for a few minutes after a good run.

Aside from that, there are many Gen I owners who have next to no issues. One of our members has well over 110,000km and still on original turbo.

Some info on claims, fixes etc that have been undertaken is located here http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...nty-fixes.html

PS. Welcome to OzMPSclub
    Last edited by CharlieBrown; 08-06-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Added Extra.
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Another common issue is a the rear engine mount becoming torn and requiring replacement (should be able to get it under warranty - I did) and a clunk in the suspension at the rear from the swaybar becoming loose.

Look inside drivers door pillar ,if bolt for engine mount recall has been replaced a Mazda sticker will be there notifying that it is fixed.
    The mileage is quiet reasonable for a car 3yrs old (average motorist do approx 12k to 15k per yr.
    Welcome and happy motoring.

Car has not been modified in anyway, was a main must for me before I bought one.
    Servicing is not an issue as log books are there, only issue I may have is that the time e.g the car is due for service for time before k's as it has travelled very little, Im not sure the last one was done before the allocated time.

Thanks for the welcome PostmanDan, I hope to be a benifitial member and will be becoming a V.I.P member, this site seems very detailed and seems a happy place

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Is the engine mount a recall job or just something that had problems here and there?
    I see alot of advertising on the web for a replacement rear engine mount, I'm guessing it is a common problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Ski82 View Post
    Car has not been modified in anyway, was a main must for me before I bought one.
    Servicing is not an issue as log books are there, only issue I may have is that the time e.g the car is due for service for time before k's as it has travelled very little, Im not sure the last one was done before the allocated time.

Thanks for the welcome PostmanDan, I hope to be a benifitial member and will be becoming a V.I.P member, this site seems very detailed and seems a happy place

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Is the engine mount a recall job or just something that had problems here and there?
    I see alot of advertising on the web for a replacement rear engine mount, I'm guessing it is a common problem?
    Hmm engine mounts could be driving styles, Where was the car purchased from new, what side on town do you live....

And welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ride ,we all do

Just get it in for a service, for a well deserved oil & filter change

Usually, excessive wear marks on the pedals would indicate someone has been mashing them to the ground. Check condition of tyres (if not new).

Don't forget to check out the cruise section too, we have a event coming up soon!

If it's 10/07 build the engine mount will be fine, the issue had been rectified by then.

See Dan's link in his post for some of the things other people have had and enjoy, they're a fun car to own.

to OMPSC Ski,

Congrats on the new purchase!!! You'll find plenty of good advice here!!!

Welcome mate, another Bris-Vegas MPS owner. As Dan mentioned we have a few cruises coming up. Looking forward to seeing your ride.

Car was originally purchased in NSW, last person who owned it who I got it off had bought it for himself then within a month of owning it he got a new WRX, he still liked the MPS so kept it for his wife, but when he got transferred to Melbourne he got rid of it, he didnt even put 1000 k's on it (well im prertty sure as when I checked out the V-check it had a odometer reading on that which was only 1000 less then what it had when I got it). As I said the car was in his shed while he was in china for almost 5 months.
    I live on the southside of Brisbane, but work in the city I'm the assistant Venue Manager at the Exchange Hotel for those in Brisbane, feel free to come in anytime, my name is Dwayne.
    Im bout to wash and detail my car now so will look for that sticker about the engine mount and clarify exaclty what date the car is.
    And work permitting i will most definately be up for a cruise........haven't stopped driving since I got it ha ha

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Ok it is a 9th month 07
    And no sticker on drivers side door pillar anywhere......does this mean I should try to get the replacement one under warranty or recall?

Car was originally purchased in NSW, last person who owned it who I got it off had bought it for himself then within a month of owning it he got a new WRX, he still liked the MPS so kept it for his wife, but when he got transferred to Melbourne he got rid of it, he didnt even put 1000 k's on it (well im prertty sure as when I checked out the V-check it had a odometer reading on that which was only 1000 less then what it had when I got it). As I said the car was in his shed while he was in china for almost 5 months.
    I live on the southside of Brisbane, but work in the city I'm the assistant Venue Manager at the Exchange Hotel for those in Brisbane, feel free to come in anytime, my name is Dwayne.
    Im bout to wash and detail my car now so will look for that sticker about the engine mount and clarify exaclty what date the car is.
    And work permitting i will most definately be up for a cruise........haven't stopped driving since I got it ha ha

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Ok it is a 9th month 07
    And no sticker on drivers side door pillar anywhere......does this mean I should try to get the replacement one under warranty or recall?
    I think you've actually served me before

Been there a few times after work myself.

Suggest you talk to your dealership regarding if the mount is required.

You could always look at an aftermarket engine mount, eg CP-e mount available through MPS Garage (Forum Sponsor), if you need to replace it?

Enjoy driving your MPS, they're a heap of fun!

PS. Upload some pix of your ride!
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Ok it is a 9th month 07
    Hey Ski. Welcome to the forum.
    If you send me a PM with your VIN i can check at work to see if the recall is outstanding on your vehicle. It will depend on the build date as to whether it was required.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

Wow that would be much apreciated.

Thanks very much DISIMS3
    Do you work at a Mazda dealer?
    Last edited by Jmac; 09-06-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: removed VIN - Public Forum :)

Wink Mps rehab for turbo junkies u can checkout but u can never leave!!!!

Definately in the right place for good advise, the message is up there dude

Col

My comments in regards to the rear mount were more focused on the fact it could have died a 'natural' death rather than the recall - I should have been more specific

OH, and welcome