User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E85 ?

Default E85 ?

hi everone not sure if this subject has been covered before in other forums . If wanting to convert to E85 is it just a tuning issue or is there more detailed fuel system mods to consider.Also if it would void warranty on 3MPS. Any cons involved with a change to E85 .Am i crazy to even consider this changeover any advice positive or negative would be most welcome.

Thank you gensei

You're crazy

e85 as in petrol?

my god i just stumbled across this post 3 years later, what a retarded post..
    my bad
    Last edited by steviekfc; 21-02-2013 at 09:25 PM.

From what I recall, using e85 in a car not originally designed for it can cause premature wear in any plastic or rubber based material it comes in direct contact with.
    While admittedly I only have limited knowledge in this matter I would initially advise against it.

I know that they are advertising this with the V8 Supercar series but I am not sure of any success stories retuning a forced induction street car for use with E85, and if there is.. I have not heard of an MPS. I suppose someone has to give it a go though?

Here are some other threads based around E10 you may find helpful or interesting.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...conomical.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...o-you-use.html

Curious to see what others more knowledgeable than myself on this topic have to say *subscribes*
    Last edited by Jmac; 09-06-2010 at 09:47 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

On a skyline forum about a year ago there was a chap with a heavily modified r33 skyline that had to pass emissions. He was a tuner and was a pro on the power fc.
    he was able to tune the car to run on e85, the fuel economy was pretty crap though. (from memory if the car was at 10L/100 he was getting about 15L/100 with the e85)

He passed the emssions test even with a larger injector/turbo combo.

I forget what forum it was bu t is use to see the guy around newcastle some years ago.

as you would have to tune the car you can say goodbyw to you warranty

A mate of mine is running it in his very tough corolla (track toy), just by switching he has gained 20hp (atw) at 6k rpm (which is a pretty hefty jump for an NA engine), all his temps have dropped considerably, i.e coolant etc, due to the better cooling properties of alcohol over petroleum based fuels, and you can tune your timing a lot more aggressively to take advantage of the properties of the fuel, now the downside, he is running 1000cc injectors to cope with the additional fuel required in order to maintain a stoichiometric AFR, ethanol's stoichiometric ratio is 9:1, petroleum is 14:1, as as mentioned the majority of parts in your fuel system are not designed to run alcohol based fuel through them, you may not have any issues doing this, but it is worth considering.

So yes a tune will be critical, and you may max out the stock injectors and fuel pump, and being a DI engine I would imagine all these types of parts are outrageously expensive.

Heres some good reading on E85,
    E85 in standard engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

I'm surprised the response is a civil as it has been =)
    personally, i would say no... as whilst the octane rating is apparently higher, if the engine isnt designed to run on it, it probably shouldnt be... wikipedia says that cars need to be designed with E85 in mind...
    E85 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thanks for your input i was mainly considering e85 from an environmental standpoint due to the very low co emissions.Also to stop our reliance on overseas oil interests regards gensei

Salesman that I just bought MPS Gen II from said it was fine to run on E10 fuel. Not that I will, but thats straight from the horses mouth. It wont run as well but it might save a bit of money, depending on how badly the fuel economy suffers as a result.

Default E85 ?

E10 isn't e85.

Evidently so, wouldn't touch e85 with a 10 foot pole for a performance car.

Contact APC here in Brisbane.

Advanced Performance Centre

They previously owned an Evo 7/8/9 (Which one? I don't know) that was built and tuned for E85.

Quote Originally Posted by gensei View Post
    thanks for your input i was mainly considering e85 from an environmental standpoint due to the very low co emissions.Also to stop our reliance on overseas oil interests regards gensei
    the thing is, it requires more energy to form the ethanol, than the ethanol releases... and seeing as most of our energy comes from fossil fuels anyways, i dont see the point in using it to "lower emissions"

E85 is the bomb!

There would be no issues at all running E85 in an MPS so long as the fuel system is able to support the extra demand and the car is tuned to suit.

We have done a number of write-ups in Zoom and Extreme mags about the subject if your after some more info.

The issue with our cars is beefing up the fuel system to suit. From memory the demand for a high powered car can be up to 30% more fuel required than normal fuel. As there is not many upgrades for direct injection cars (that i have come accross anyway) this would be very hard compared to just fitting up some larger injectors and bigger/extra pumps.

In early model cars that have lead lined fuel tanks require a fair bit of work to prepare the system for E85 but new cars like the MPS would be fine. There are also a load more stations that will have E85 pumps moving forward since holden is releasing the E85-ready Commodore.

Keep an eye out on the Zoom website as we always have updates on stuff like this - Zoom Magazine | The Magazine That Puts Go Before Show

Jason

, where have you been Jason?!
    Welcome back Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by owhat View Post
    On a skyline forum about a year ago there was a chap with a heavily modified r33 skyline that had to pass emissions. He was a tuner and was a pro on the power fc.
    he was able to tune the car to run on e85, the fuel economy was pretty crap though. (from memory if the car was at 10L/100 he was getting about 15L/100 with the e85)

He passed the emssions test even with a larger injector/turbo combo.

I forget what forum it was bu t is use to see the guy around newcastle some years ago.

as you would have to tune the car you can say goodbyw to you warranty

Thatd be the bloke that owned Turbo Technics. Same thing happened with a crazily turboed magna - he had to run E85 to pass emissions as well.

Your injectors will need to be hugely upgraded. Not 100% what they run from factory, but lets say 400cc for a guess, but Evos have had to up their injectors to 1200cc as you burn so much more fuel. So you'd be looking at least double stock cc rating.

You'll also need a new fuel pump to keep up with the injectors and a tune to accommodate.

Not sure on the degradation of fuel lines etc but I have heard of this happening. Apparently its about $700 to modify stock cars to run on E85 (read on another forum).

Talk to a reputable tuner and see what they can do.

In my opinion, I wouldnt bother even though theres nice power gains to be made. Afterall, stuff all servos stock E85 and last thing you'd want is to carry a drum in your boot incase you run out on long drives.

I understand all technical benefits/downsides/risks of running E85, but is this a problem in a MPS, my 2006 MPS 6 actually has a factory sticker inside the full cap indicating it's E85 compatible ?... I assume this is standard across the range ?

If you use 30% more fuel with E85....how is it better financially and environmentally.

I will stick the prem unleaded....it was made for it...

No sugar in my tank.

PS... E fuels in QLD...just make Anna richer.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer View Post
    I understand all technical benefits/downsides/risks of running E85, but is this a problem in a MPS, my 2006 MPS 6 actually has a factory sticker inside the full cap indicating it's E85 compatible ?... I assume this is standard across the range ?
    Its actually a E10 sticker...and means you can run 90% ULP and 10% Eth

E85 is actually 15% ULP and 85% Eth... big difference.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Of course I had to go and check
    You 100% correct, my mistake

I agree with general consensus, why would you considering all the potential issues/problems, with very little return

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast