User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: E85 ?

hey all. looking into e85 over here in nz. what else do i need in order to run E85? i have the hpfp in and a tune is coming soon from purple drank.

South Pacific Ethanol

this seems like the only way to get ethanol in my area. once mixed to make E85, would i put 10litres or so in the fuel tank and top it up with 98 to get the appropriate mix?

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    hey all. looking into e85 over here in nz. what else do i need in order to run E85? i have the hpfp in and a tune is coming soon from purple drank.

South Pacific Ethanol

this seems like the only way to get ethanol in my area. once mixed to make E85, would i put 10litres or so in the fuel tank and top it up with 98 to get the appropriate mix?

any help would be appreciated, thanks
    You need to work with your tuner to decide what ethanol/petrol blend you are going to use and tune for.

A lot of people get two switchable tunes done, one with no ethanol and a second one with ethanol. This way if you ever can't find ethanol you can switch tunes and keep driving.

You will get the best performance improvement at around E30 which is 30% of the E100 fuel you are buying.

So if you put a 17litre keg in your tank each fill you would need 17 / 0.3 - 17 = 40 litres of petrol for a 57 litre fill. There is no need to mix it down to E85 first, that just makes the maths harder.

If you instead went for an E25 blend and tune then you could easily mix by ratio. 1:3 ethanol to petrol or 10 litres of ethanol plus 30 litres of petrol for a 40 litre fill.

Your tune should be robust enough to tolerate variations of around +-5% in the ethanol content.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

thanks for explanation. looking forward to working with Ryan from Purple Drank (damn i love that name)
    just a couple more things to add to the car before tuning begins.
    from my signature is there anything extra apart from hpfp and a tune i need to run ethanol or am i all set up?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    thanks for explanation. looking forward to working with Ryan from Purple Drank (damn i love that name)
    just a couple more things to add to the car before tuning begins.
    from my signature is there anything extra apart from hpfp and a tune i need to run ethanol or am i all set up?
    Its hard work reading your mod list.

Basically you can run ethanol with just a tune. In any case you have the insurance of the HPFP upgrade already done.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234